Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

IT'S now been 98 days since Canterbury last tasted defeat - to the Gold Coast Titans at Suncorp Stadium way back in round 10.

So who better to reveal the blueprint to upending the premiership favourites than Titans centre Jamal Idris, who spent four seasons at Belmore before switching to the holiday strip this year.

"We really concentrated on stopping their offloads - because if you stop that then you go a long way toward stopping Ben Barba," Idris told us. "He's always pushing up on guys like Frank Pritchard and Sam Kasiano, who look to charge straight through you and get their arms free.

"The key is locking their arms, and our forwards did a great job.

"We wanted them to try to go around us rather than through us, and that's what they had to do."

The laid-back Idris watches barely any football on TV and has not seen a Bulldogs match apart from the two times they've met Gold Coast.

"But I do still talk to a lot of the boys like Mick Ennis and Josh Reynolds," he said. "They sound like they're in a really good place."

So, too, is Idris.

He's just bought a new four-bedroom pad in Varsity Lakes, just a short drive from Skilled Park.

"I needed something big for my family," Idris laughed.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

Hip defect behind Idris's performance

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

THE Titans' seven-figure super signing Jamal Idris has revealed an abnormality in his hip, which requires delicate bone-shaving surgery, was behind his lacklusture debut season on the Gold Coast.

Idris arrived at Titans headquarters this year with big expectations but failed to fire with publicised ankle, foot and hamstring injuries leading to a stuttering season.

The 22-year-old finished the year with just five tries from 20 matches. Two of those came in the round 1 win over North Queensland.

A candid Idris has revealed, for the first time, that a genetic problem in his hips was the catalyst for the horror season but he would put off surgery until he found peak condition.

"My (hip) socket is almost like a square. I can only get a certain level of flexibility," he said.

"I thought I'm going to need to get a bit of bone shaved off (my hips) and carved but they're willing to put that off.

"It leaves you a bit more susceptible to lower limb injuries so I've got to work more on loosening it up.

"It's just the way I was born," Idris said. "It prevents me getting flexibility in my hamstrings and other parts.

"Eventually it's (surgery) something I'll get done."

Despite what seemed a horror year, Idris was yesterday named in the Kangaroos train-on squad alongside Titans teammates Nate Myles, Greg Bird and Will Zillman.

Idris signed with the Titans on a five-year deal worth $2 million and was supposed to form a strike centre combination with Beau Champion.

Champion's season was crushed by injuries and there were few highlights for Idris, who said he hoped to use 2012 as a stepping stone.

"It was a bit rattled with injuries at the start of the season. That hurt me getting my roll on," Idris said. "The club's been unbelieveable, people are amazing and Gold Coast in general is awesome.

"It's a stepping stone. It's a start. I can only build up from here."

One of the dilemmas Idris has faced is finding a way to get more involved in games.

His tackle busts (79) were the second highest at the club this year behind fullback William Zillman (89) but he rarely found the ball enough.

Idris said the nature of his position meant he didn't touch the ball often but he would be happy to move into the forward pack if needed.

"The thing is I'm a centre. Unfortunately in my position, I'm not a forward, I've got to wait for the ball," he said.

"In saying that, I'm still looking for connections.

"I'll play wherever they put me. As long as I'm on the field I'm happy. You're involved a bit more (in the forward pack) and can get the ball whenever you want. Whatever's best for the team."

Idris's weight made headlines midway through the season. Cartwright was forced to defend his star centre after he struggled to train due to the nature of his injuries.

Idris said he was determined to have a strong pre-season and register a string of consecutive games early next year.

"As long as I get the first four or five games in at the start of the season, that's going to be my focus.

**** me. Jamal's Hip doesn't have the same ring to it.

And Willy as Australian full back?!
    I love Aiden Sezer so much I made his profile pic my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal's Hamstring View Post
    **** me. Jamal's Hip doesn't have the same ring to it.!
    haha, you better hope he doesn't succumb to a groin injury. Or maybe you like the sound of "Jamal's pulled groin muscle"

I'll give the bloke the benefit of the doubt on this one, since I've thrown enough negative vibes his way during the season. But who waits until they reach "peak fitness" before going in for hip surgery?

Go and get it done ASAP and give it time to mend, and then start working to "peak fitness" FFS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    haha, you better hope he doesn't succumb to a groin injury. Or maybe you like the sound of "Jamal's pulled groin muscle"

I'll give the bloke the benefit of the doubt on this one, since I've thrown enough negative vibes his way during the season. But who waits until they reach "peak fitness" before going in for hip surgery?

Go and get it done ASAP and give it time to mend, and then start working to "peak fitness" FFS!!!
    I'm a Jamal Supporter (not sure why). But yeah, tend to agree with ya with this one, C-Whiz. He should be getting the op ASAP.

In the interests of a balanced debate: oh come on ... what a crock.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Just to quote myself from back in May, this year. It seems I wasn't too far off the mark. Only one joint away..

Quote Originally Posted by Toads View Post
    On a side note.. I'm no Physio, but Idris best make a genuine effort to maintain his weight, especially while he plays RL. Because his running gait (running style), he really does give his knee's and ankles a hiding/caning. If he doesn't have issues throughout his career with them. It's bound to catch up with him post NRL, when he does eventually balloon out, later on in life..

I wish I was joking, but I do hold some serious concerns about it..

http://forum.titans.com.au/showpost....&postcount=260
    There's something to chew on, in the interests of a balanced debate.

Time for Idris to get physical

TWO men have been entrusted with transforming Gold Coast Titan Jamal Idris from a million-dollar flop into an NRL force.

Former Origin and Test representative Idris had a horror first year on the Gold Coast, with poor form and multiple injuries meaning he ballooned to well over 120kg.

The former Bulldog had off-season surgery to correct a hip problem and will miss the first three weeks of pre-season training.

But new strength and conditioning coach Dan Ferris and his assistant, rugby league legend Martin Lang, have already put Idris on a new diet to help him become the wrecking ball he should be.

The Titans have upped their involvement with a dietician this year to battle the bulge and Ferris admitted he had work to do on improving Idris' condition.

"Jamal, when he first came here, was probably a bit too big. He knew that himself," said Ferris, who has replaced Chris McLellan.

"We've set him a target where he needs to be and we'll keep that target between us.

"He's already on the way. He's 100 per cent better than when he first arrived last year.

"The big thing is he's had that off-season surgery for his hips and he says he feels like a new man.

"That's a big bonus. (Last year) he could hardly run. He had his hamstring injuries and what not."

Former Shark and Panther Lang is new to the club, having worked with now defunct A-League outfit Gold Coast United.

The Titans have employed dietician Kellie Hogan on a consultancy basis in the past but will have her on board more often this season.

Idris and new recruit Dave Taylor have had well-publicised weight battles and Ferris said it was important for the younger brigade to have a better understanding of nutrition.

"It (nutrition focus) has (lacked in the past). It's because we've had a core group of young players," he said. "Most of the guys are local but we've had some guys move from Sydney who have come up and now living by themselves.

"We've set a target for the guys and where they think they need to be.

"It's more about education from our point of view. She's there to make sure they eat the right things and make their own decisions."

Ferris said the team was looking to make improvements.

"We were only just outside the top eight so there was only some small improvements we had to make," he said.

"On the field we're going to do a bit longer distance to make sure we can compete with the other teams.

"We want to make them bigger, stronger and faster in every area."

The Titans were slogging it out in their altitude chamber yesterday with personalised heart-rate monitors and a new gym making them one of the most advanced clubs in the NRL.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

The big thing is he's had that off-season surgery for his hips and he says he feels like a new man
    Liposuction? Just kidding ... c'mon ya big unit!
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Default Idris aiming high for Titans in 2013 NRL

From NRL.com

Gold Coast utility Jamal Idris says he's put his injury woes behind him and is set to start repaying the Titans after a difficult first year at the NRL club.

Idris was a seven-figure signing from Canterbury at the end of 2011 but failed to fire in his first year with the Titans, battling ankle, foot and hamstring complaints.

The 199cm, 115kg giant admits his first year on the Gold Coast was frustrating as he struggled to play at his best due to his continual niggles.

But off-season surgery to correct a genetic hip problem has Idris feeling confident he can regain the sort of form that made the Titans offer him such a lucrative deal to leave Belmore.

"I'm starting to stride out a little bit more and the running technique's getting a lot better since surgery," Idris told reporters on Monday.

"I've been doing a lot more work without the ball, so a lot more fitness stuff and in the gym because I haven't been able to run due to the surgery but the road to recovery's been good."

Idris was one of three Titans named in the emerging New South Wales State of Origin squad which will hold a three-day camp in Sydney from January 18.

The 22-year-old made his sole Origin appearance for the Blues in 2010, when he was viewed as one of the brightest prospects in the game.

And Idris is hoping he can regain that sort of form in 2013.

"That's the pinnacle of rugby league - you want to play there," he said.

"This year, I want to play the best footy I can and, if you do that, you give yourself the best opportunity to get into the Blues side."

The Titans have also provided two players to the Queensland emerging Origin squad, with young forward Ben Ridge continuing his impressive rise after a breakthrough 2012 campaign and fullback Will Zillman also named.

The Queensland squad will join Maroons coach Mal Meninga and Queensland Academy of Sport rugby league director Wayne Bennett in a camp from January 25 to 27

I foresee Idris having a hugely improved season in 13'. He could be a real weapon for us outside what is looking like a much fitter Dave Taylor

Looking fitter already... he's gotta be close to the biggest center in the game right?

Can our squad fit him in as a second rower considering we already have so much talent there, not to mention the fact that we're light on strike centers?

And geez he's got a good highlight reel... this for example

He really could be anything - fitness and attitude are his biggest issues.
    Hopefully he delivers

At the Fan Xmas Day he looked much slimmer, happier and fit for this stage of the off-season...a BIG improvement on this time last year.
    Fingers and toes crossed he has uninterrupted pre-season with injury because he should be looking very sharp by Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    At the Fan Xmas Day he looked much slimmer, happier and fit for this stage of the off-season...a BIG improvement on this time last year.
    Fingers and toes crossed he has uninterrupted pre-season with injury because he should be looking very sharp by Round 1.
    ahh that's great to hear ... i always felt for the bloke considering how much he copped from us last year. Yes he gets paid (ALOT) to perform; but he just seemed like a real young kid, struggling to adjust to his new club and the profile of being a marquee signing - the injuries, weight blow-out and reported family dramas at the start of last season couldn't have helped either.

Really good to hear he seemed happier. I would think that'd make a huge difference in his attitude and on field performance this year - and obviously the fitness will keep improving. The squad over-all looks fitter so far this pre-season.

JI has so, so much potential. it's scary to think how young he is and what he could do with his career under the right coaching...

my appendages are also crossed for him.
    Last edited by K2G; 17-12-12 at 02:08 PM.

Good luck to Jamal, he is a great bloke with heaps of talent. He has suffered alot of heat and pressure, even back to his break out days at the Bulldogs.

It'd love to see him destroying sides like we know he can. Fitness is a big part of it. Looks like he is coming through.

Junior Titan

We all hope he performs a hell of a lot better than 2012.A club out lays so much money and gets nothing in return.Four /Five hundred thousand is a hell of a lot of money.Honestly i think this young man will not spend a long time in the game but will make enough money to last him the rest of his life if he looks after it.Not a crticism just a observation,