Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Jamal Idris - 2013 Discussion Thread

Jamal Idris - 2013 Discussion Thread

General discussion on match performances, position, injuries, contracts, and anything else.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 08-11-12 at 03:10 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Lean machine Jamal Idris raises bar for Gold Coast Titans

THE baby fat has been stripped and a muscular Jamal Idris is set for a rebirth at the Gold Coast Titans next year.

Idris has been training the house down in Robina this pre-season, losing 4kg of body fat and 2cm from his skinfolds.

He has also added close to 2kg of muscle allowing him to break the club's bench pull record, which stood at more than 120kg.

Opponents should be nervous because Idris had previously just used his God-given size to smash anyone in his way as his young body was still developing in the gym.

Titans director of athletic performance Chris McLellan said he was delighted at the progress Idris had made since walking into Skilled Park six weeks ago.

"Because of his hand surgery he hasn't been able to do everything, but that hasn't stopped him doing as much as he can in the gym," McLellan said.

"He's down four kilos in six weeks. I'm very happy with Jamal.

"He's lost fat and he's put on a kilo or two of muscle."

The 21-year-old is currently 121kg and McLellan said he would drop a few more kilograms before round 1 in early March.

Idris has previously played in the 115-116kg range, but that could change next year as he will have less fat and more muscle.

"Playing at 118 is probably where he wants to be. I'm not sure if that's where we want him to be," McLellan said.

"It's only December so he will probably drop another three to four kilos.

"It's not about the scales though. It's about lean muscle mass and body fat.

"His skinfolds are down 20mm. He broke the bench pull record with one injured hand and when he's allowed to do bench presses again he will probably go close there.

"We haven't drawn a line in the sand in regards to a kilogram mark. If he can carry 118kg and still do the times we require him to do then that's fine."

Idris said his injured left hand would be healed in time for the trials.

"My fend should be pretty good because I've doing so many weights on the one arm," Idris joked.

"I've had a few pb's in the gym so far. I'm feeling really good and am loving the pre-season here at the Titans."

Idris is set to link up with lightning fast winger Kevin Gordon on the Titans' left edge.

http://www.couriermail.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Idris and Gordon to dominate next year

Idris focused on slimline NRL look

Jamal Idris says he's desperate to start the new NRL season with the Gold Coast in the best shape of his young career.

Idris endured a disappointing final campaign with Canterbury after announcing he was leaving to join the Titans midway through last year.

However, the giant centre, who has often struggled to control his weight, says he now understands what he must do to ensure he's in a position to get the most out of his unquestionable talent.

"I am always going to be a big guy," said the NSW and Australian representative, who stands at 194cm.

"I've been doing a lot of weights and feeling a lot stronger and have replaced some of the fat with muscle.

"But it's a case of watching what I do and ensuring I am in the best possible shape."

Idris has shed four kilos since reporting for pre-season and currently tips the scales at 121kg.

He believes he can get that down even further for the Titans season opener against North Queensland on March 3.

Idris is also confident a change of environment will improve him as a player.

"I am only 21 and feel I can get better, and that my best is still to come," he said.

"I'm looking forward to working under Carty and playing my footy up here."

Titans coach John Cartwright has been impressed with the attitude shown by his new signing and that he can help the side banish the memory of a woeful 2011 which ended with the wooden spoon.

"It is never easy for any player this time of year - we work them hard," he said.

"I'm happy with where Jamal is. Getting into full shape can take a little bit of time, but I believe he'll be fine.

"This time of year is a bit like Twenty-20 cricket - it's a bit of fun before the serious stuff starts."

http://www.smh.com.au

Idris struggling to match his mates

GOLD Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says Jamal Idris's fitness is no concern despite the big-money recruit struggling to keep up with teammates a month out from his first match.

The 121kg Idris has looked to be struggling in some pre-season fitness sessions and is due to make his first appearance on February 4 when he laces up for the Indigenous All Stars at Skilled Park.

The 21-year-old has been the slowest in 2km time trials but Cartwright says the Titans' million-dollar man, who has linked with the club on a five-year deal, is ticking all the right boxes.

"If you're looking for Jamal to beat Zilly (William Zillman) it's never going to happen," Cartwright said after the the Gold Coast's first session of the year yesterday.

"But if you look at the improvement in Jamal, he's improved as much as anyone in his times.

"At 120kg, I dare anyone to go around and break world records for 2km trials.

"That's not what it's about. It's about looking at his improvement and his times have come down as good as anyone.

"He's getting there. He's a big lad. He's very young and you can't push him too hard."

Cartwright was so pleased with how the squad returned from the Christmas break that they've been given the rest of the week off training.

Five-eighth Zillman led the pack during yesterday's fitness testing while Idris said he was happy with his improvement since lobbing on the Gold Coast at about 125kg.

"I was feeling that, it shocked me a bit," he said of the road run.

"I got my personal best so I couldn't be happier.

"I'm not the smallest person in the world so I'll always be happy with that. Any improvement is an improvement and we'll go from here.

"It's hard to have the size and fitness. You can't have everything but you have to find that balance which is what I'm working towards. Right now I'm feeling good and I'm happy with where I'm at but if I can improve that'll be massive for me."

The Titans are now preparing for their first trial match against the Warriors in New Zealand on February 4, the same night as the All Stars match at Skilled Park.

Cartwright said the trials would give a strong indication on who would feature in Round 1 of the NRL against North Queensland in March.

"Everything's geared towards being ready for that game up there against the Cowboys," he said.

"Training for January will be back down to football.

The stuff on the road, bikes and rowing machines, is good to look at but January is about getting footballs in their hands and tackling.

"The pre-Christmas time is a bit like Twenty20 cricket. It's all a bit of fun, training hard and bonding as a group.

"But now we're into the Test stuff. It's serious. There's competition for places."

www.goldcoast.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    "At 120kg, I dare anyone to go around and break world records for 2km trials.

"He's getting there. He's a big lad. He's very young and you can't push him too hard."

"It's hard to have the size and fitness. "
    If you are the heaviest player of all in the NRL AND a back then something is out of kilter here.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

There aren't too many NRL players who log 2 km in any single run on the field. It's not really a good indicator. Usain Bolt would not have a great 2 km time compared to the 800m or 1500m runners either. We haven't bought Jamal to run around like a fullback or hooker he's In the centres to make tackles and bust tackles. He shouldn't be pushed hard to become a middle distance runner - that's not too going to help him do either.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Sure 'Goose but fairdinkum how does 121kg at this time of the year even partially equate to being fit as an outside back?

Jamal Idris reveals how he was happy to get away from dog-eat-dog world of Sydney

JAMAL Idris has revealed the unlikely role Mat Rogers played in luring the 21-year-old cult figure away from the "angry people" of Sydney to the glitter strip.

Rogers, a dual international, Queensland State of Origin star and foundation Gold Coast Titans player, was a childhood hero of Idris.

Idris fell in love with rugby league watching Rogers flash down the wing during his Cronulla Sharks days.

Knowing how highly Rogers spoke of the Titans played a key role in Idris spurning Newcastle Knights and Nathan Tinkler.

"The other day I was at a Titans function and I thought, 'wow, I'm sitting across the table from Mat Rogers'," Idris told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"Rogers was one of my favourites. I remember watching him when he was playing for the Sharks and he nailed a 67m drop kick. Growing up he was one of my idols and when I finally met him, he was a top bloke."

Rogers made a shock return to rugby league last July but his comeback lasted one game because of injury. But Rogers has hinted at making another NRL comeback if the Titans are again in trouble and has joined training on several occasions.

"I never say never," Rogers said.

"If the club you love is asking you to help out of course you would."

Regardless of whether The Rat is in a Titans jersey in 2012, the burden of expectation on Idris's enormous shoulders will be massive.

Idris has already played for Australia and NSW and become the subject of dozens of nasty rumours. The most hurtful of claims were reports he was so angry at being 18th man for NSW in Origin last year he sulked in the corner, refusing to join in activities.

The ex-Canterbury Bulldog believes people mistake his relaxed nature for a man not taking the game seriously.

"People can say what they want. They weren't there so they don't know," he said.

"If they think me having a smile on my face is me not wanting to be there then they have no idea. They need to look at their own lives.

"If they want to throw judgment at others, perhaps they need to judge themselves first.

"A lot of people criticise, but I just sit there and smile. At the end of the day, no matter who you are someone will criticise you."

Idris has battled homesickness throughout his brief career and spent the Christmas and New Year holidays back in his home town of Forster on the NSW mid-north coast.

On Friday, Idris told the world just how much he struggled to leave his home town. "Thinking bout going walkabout back home to Forster and just hiding from the world," Idris wrote on Twitter. He followed that tweet with another explaining he was just homesick - and when Idris talks about his childhood it's easy to understand why.

"We used to save our lunches all day at school and when the bell rang we would go down to the beach, swim across to this small island, attach our lunch to some fishing line and spend all afternoon fishing," Idris said.

It's the similarities between Forster and Gold Coast that have helped Idris adapt to the tourist strip. "I'm more of a coastal person. I feel more comfortable here," he said.

"City life is a bit extreme. There are a lot of angry people in the city.

"I don't like the speed of Sydney. How fast everything goes. It's a dog-eat-dog world in Sydney."

Idris likes the Gold Coast so much his mother is moving there.

"My mum is moving up in January and my brother's fiancee is from here so they are moving up here as well."

The Titans are set to use Idris as a left centre, pairing him with flying winger Kevin Gordon as the club fights back into finals contention after a wooden-spoon 2011.

Idris said he had only one goal for next season.

"I want to play the best footy I've ever played," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Sure 'Goose but fairdinkum how does 121kg at this time of the year even partially equate to being fit as an outside back?
    Just because he is 121kg does not mean he is unfit. At least he won't just get pushed aside in defence like half our other outside backs do

Quote Originally Posted by justin19 View Post
    Just because he is 121kg does not mean he is unfit.
    He is quite unfit but is heading in the right direction

lebron james weighs 125kgs and is pretty much the back of the basketball court...... he is fit

Junior

Quote Originally Posted by The Gladiator View Post
    lebron james weighs 125kgs and is pretty much the back of the basketball court...... he is fit
    Lebron also plays on a 28m court in a 40minute game. As a centre, big Jamal will need to fitten up a bit more, he is obviously getting there though.. He is in for a breakthrough year playing for the Blues

That's 40 minutes of actual game time and he is required to output many more significant high intensity efforts in that time than an outside back in rugby league. There are only five of them on the court and because of the size of the court there is also alot of physicality in the NBA. If Idris can be as fit in league as LeBron is in basketball he will be going alright.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

If Idris can get to this then we are good