Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Looks like we will have to wait for the trials and start of the NRL season for Jamal to answer his critics. I reckon he is primed for a benchmark season and will get a Kangaroos jersey for the Anzac Test.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

JAMAL IDRIS might be slotting into the second row for the Indigenous All Stars side next month but Titans fans can expect to see the 195-centimetre (210cm with the fro) giant back in the centres with Beau Champion come round one of the NRL. Idris, who was in Sydney last week to shoot a cover for Foxtel magazine, has sprouted a few extra centimetres in the off-season and, according to close friends, has dropped as much as 7kilograms from his frame. The 21-year-old blew out to 125kg in 2011 but is already down to 118kg.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Jamal Idris

Date of Birth : 6 July, 1990
    Height : 199 cm
    Weight : 115 kg
    Position : Centre
    Rep. Honours : Australia - 2011, NSW Origin - 2011, Country Origin - 2010, Indiginous All Stars - 2010
    Junior Clubs : Forster Hawks
    Previous Clubs : Bulldogs
    FG Debut : Bulldogs V Parramatta, Rnd 22 2008

BIOGRAPHY

NICKNAME?
    Jammer or Marley after Bob Marley

STATE OF ORIGIN?
    NSW

WHAT AGE DID YOU START PLAYING FOOTY?
    4 years old

FAVOURITE TEAM AS A CHILD?
    Broncos and Rabbitohs

FAVOURITE PLAYER WHEN GROWING UP?
    Justin Hodges, Mal Meninga, Steve Renouf and Mat Rogers

FAVOURITE SPORTS PERSON?
    Carl Lewis

MOST RESPECTED OPPONENT?
    Billy Slater, he's such a great player

FAVOURITE THING ABOUT THE CLUB YOU PLAY FOR?
    The genuine help and support we receive from the community

FAVOURITE CROWD MOMENT YOU WILL NEVER FORGET?
    Whenever they cheer!

DO YOU HAVE ANY PRE GAME RITUALS OR SUPERSTITIONS?
    Well I always have to wake up before I play....

THE BIGGEST INFLUENCE ON MY CAREER HAS BEEN?
    My family have always been there for me

QUALITIES YOU ADMIRE IN PEOPLE?
    Humour, genuine people

QUALITIES YOU DISLIKE IN PEOPLE?
    Dishonest people

WHAT DID YOU WANT TO BE WHEN YOU WERE A KID?

Fisherman or an oyster farmer

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS FOR LIFE AFTER FOOTY?
    Own a little coffee shop and retire

FAVOURITE HOLIDAY DESTINATION?
    Cairns, Forster and Fiji

FAVOURITE STYLE OF MUSIC?
    Country, reggae

FAVOURITE MOVIE?
    Coming to America

WHICH 3 PEOPLE WOULD YOU INVITE TO DINNER?
    Thandi, Budha and Bob Marley

FAVOURITE THINGS TO DO WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS?
    Go fishing

FAVOURITE FOOD?
    Fufu, Red Soup, Kasarva

MOST ANNOYING HABIT?
    Talking during fitness training

WHAT WOULD YOU SPEND YOUR LAST $20 ON?
    To buy $10 off someone and see the look on their face.

Gold Coast life is a beach for Idris

A fit and lean Jamal Idris says he's loving life on the Gold Coast and vowed to make a huge difference to the Titans who are looking to bounce back from claiming the NRL wooden spoon last year.

The giant former Canterbury star signed on for five years at the Titans last year as the marquee signing for a revamped squad that contains several new faces including Nate Myles, Luke Douglas and Beau Champion.

Idris endured a difficult final season with the Bulldogs where his form fell away after he announced he was leaving the club midway through the year.

However, the 21-year-old insists he will fulfil his undoubted promise under Titans coach John Cartwright.

"I'm loving it up here," Idris said on Wednesday.

"You walk down the street and people give you a wave and everyone is happy.

"But they've worked me hard in the gym. I've done a lot more weights than I am used to but I've really loved it."

Idris will play in the back-row for the Indigenous All Stars on Saturday against the NRL All Stars but said he would be lining up in the centres for the Titans this season.

Despite his poor 2011 campaign, Idris did make his international debut and was also part of the NSW camp for the State of Origin opener in Brisbane, but missed out for the final two matches.

Although one of his goals is getting back into the rep squads, he has his sights set on a different target.

"At the start of every year you start off with a few little goals and Origin is one of them," he said.

"But winning the premiership is my main target."

Former Queensland great Chris Close, who works for the Titans in a marketing position, said Idris has been a breath of fresh air to the club following last year's dismal campaign.

"He's been great, he is such a lovely kid and you look at him and sometimes forget he is so young," Close told AAP.

"He is a massive human being, and he has stripped a few kilos in the pre-season and the coaching staff have bulked him up.

"Jamal has the talent to be as good any player in the comp and from what I have seen of him so far in training he looks real good and I can't wait to see him next season."

Source: http://www.NRL.com

Stripped and bulked, Choppy has his media job in a squirrel grip.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Jamal Idris: 'I'm not built for Sydney'

JAMAL Idris is in the safest place in the world, cradled in his mother's arms as she walks along an exposed sandbar.

Suddenly, the four-year-old is in the water, pitched into the expanse between sandbar and shore.

It's only about 15m to land, but Idris and his young cousin, who was being carried by his aunty before he too was thrown in, cannot swim and the distance seems like an ocean.

"I guess it was either swim or go down and they'd have to jump in (and rescue us)," Idris said.

"But we ended up swimming in to shore, so that's how I ended up learning to doggie paddle."

The sink-or-swim moment at Wallis Lake, Forster, on the NSW mid-north coast, is Idris's first clear memory.

It did not panic or scare the youngster but had almost the opposite effect, instilling a sense of calmness and peace that is still often mistaken for apathy.

It was almost a baptism for Idris -- a man who still feels most at peace around water and family.

He's found both on the Gold Coast and believes it's the reason he will thrive in his new home at the Titans.

Idris is an enigma.

The son of an Aboriginal mother and Nigerian father, the 21-year-old is a 199cm, 120kg behemoth.

The flowing dreadlocks and eyebrow-piercing are a nod to the hippie leanings of his home town of Forster.

But he defies labels.

"I'm an Aboriginal man from Forster of the Worimi tribe and I'm also an African man," Idris said.

"That's me, I can't be anyone else. The best person I can be is me.

"A lot of people like to throw labels at you but at the end of the day, you're a human being.

"If someone asks who I am, I'm half-African and I'm half-Aboriginal, it's as simple as that. And I'm proud. I don't see many people of my mix."

It's fitting that Idris eschews tags.

There's not one that can describe the youngster who represented Australia in athletics and was touted as a future Olympian before his meteoric rise in rugby league.

He endured a tug of war between NRL clubs bidding for his services before he was 21, and when he decided on a rich deal with the Titans, critics called him money-hungry and disloyal.

Idris seems to have taken most of it in his stride -- although some of the criticism cut deep.

"People can say what they want, but until they're in the same position and until they've lived the exact life I have or been where I'm from and grew up exactly how I have, you can't say anything," he said.

"I'd never go to their work and judge them, just sit there and judge someone's decision. I enjoyed my time at the Bulldogs and I made great mates there, but (everyone needs to) move on. I have no regrets whatsoever."

It's a long road from the Aboriginal mission at Forster where he grew up to becoming one of the NRL's biggest stars.

Football came first. Idris started alongside older brother Isaac Simon -- a former Bulldogs lower-grade player -- when he was four, but athletics took over.

He represented Australia at world youth championships in discus and qualified for the world junior titles in javelin before football became his priority.

"My dad loves athletics. He loves footy too now, but with his African background he loved soccer and he loved athletics," Idris said.

"We used to go after school and he'd pick me up and take me training maybe four or five times a week after school and sometimes before school."

Many observers believe Idris could have become an Olympian if he'd stuck with athletics.

"Maybe two years ago, I'd think 'what if?' " Idris said.

"Where would you be? What could you do, what could you do now? But at the moment, I'm maturing a bit and I wouldn't want to be any place else."

It wasn't an easy decision but a footy team is like a family and few things matter more to Idris.

"It was a bit hard but I just thought: 'what do you enjoy more?' he said.

"There's an individual sport where it's just you, or there's a team sport.

"And I like being around people. I love the competition where you've got to rely on your mate as well.

"I like doing things together as a team.

"The moment where I went: 'I love football', was when I was 15 playing my under-16 grand final in Forster with my cousins in the same team; with mates that I knew since I was a kid playing in the same team as me.

"That was an event for me. It was different."

Idris will carry that sense of family on to the park tonight when he runs out for the Indigenous team in the annual All Stars clash.

"There's a bond there that you can't explain," he said.

"Because it's your culture and your heritage you just have a bond.

"So you want to run out there and you're going to play for each other."

Idris's professional career was almost accidental. Having left Forster for Sydney to focus on athletics training ahead of the world youth titles in the Czech Republic in 2007, where he made the shot-put final, Idris returned to be offered an S G Ball contract by the Bulldogs for the 2008 season.

The homesick teen had been persuaded by his mother to head to the big smoke on the proviso he could return to Forster when his athletics commitments were finished.

As it was only a 10-week competition, Idris was convinced to stay.

"I said I'd give it a crack and then I was going to go home," he said. "I started playing and then about four weeks into the season, they put me up to under-20s.

"And I said: 'how long does this go for?'

And they said: 'Twenty-six weeks'.

"And that's when all of these things started going through my head: 'I don't know if I'll be able to do it, I want to go back home'; and I started stressing out a bit.

"Mum just said to give it a crack and see how you go and, sure enough, at the end of the same season, Round 24, I debuted in first grade. So that was a big twist in my life."

The rapid rise exposed a personality trait that has often been mistaken. Idris's occasional homesickness and need to feel calm have often been taken for laziness.

The mere mention of the word evokes a long, loud sigh from the usually placid giant.

"There's so many judgmental people," he said.

"You can't judge other people's lives, you're not in their circumstances, you're not in their position.

"The best thing you can do is just work hard on your own and just be happy."

Idris admits he wasn't always happy in Sydney.

"I'm not built for Sydney, it's as simple as that," he said.

"Forster is home for me. I grew up in one of the most relaxed places in the world, surrounded by water, not too dissimilar from the Gold Coast."

His mother and brother will soon move to the Gold Coast, but it's the physical setting, as much as anything, that makes the difference.

"Being Aboriginal and us being water people, you would hear stories from your grandparents saying: 'we're Worimi people, when we're sick, we need to be in water. We heal faster and it makes us better and it cleans our souls'.

"Growing up, I just always needed to be near water. And still, I just need to be around water, simple as that. As long as I know I'm not too far from it, I'm happy.

"It just makes you feel relaxed and calm.

"There's nothing urgent about the ocean, there's nothing rushed about the ocean. There's nowhere the ocean's got to go."

For now, there's nowhere Idris has to go, either.

"I'm in a good head space. And that is a good sign for me.

"At the moment, I'm really happy and I just want to get on the field."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Did anyone notice Idris in the All Stars game?

His best runs happened when he was on the right side cutting back in at speed (just ask Bailey). He had no impact when on the left, even looked a little unco near the sideline.

Yep, that's what I saw too.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Yep, that's what I saw too.
    I was actually getting mad thinking about it during a fun game. I dont want to be thinking in the early rounds that the Titans have 2 or 3 players playing out of position.

Ask Manu if he noticed Idris on the park.. Watching live at the match he had big Vatuvie's number in the 1st half
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Ask Manu if he noticed Idris on the park.. Watching live at the match he had big Vatuvie's number in the 1st half
    He and Leroyd put a few good shots on Manu. Poor Bailey getting trampled haha
    Last edited by teke; 05-02-12 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Did anyone notice Idris in the All Stars game?

His best runs happened when he was on the right side cutting back in at speed (just ask Bailey). He had no impact when on the left, even looked a little unco near the sideline.
    Im getting scared thinking Idris wont play well on the left side. Idris didnt make a great deal of an impact in the game.

I know he was playing out of position so lets wait and see for round one.

We are looking for a right side backrower to stand-up and be counted. I'm still a fan of Zillman at left centre, where that leaves Jamal and Champion is perhaps in combination on the right side. Still leaves us hoping one of Sezer, Rankin or Henry fill the 5/8 void and having eithe Phil Graham, Javarn White or Rankin at fullback.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

I think that team combinations will effect Jamals performance on the left side.

I know it was on the right side, but his best efforts on saturday night were when he cut back and ran of BIRD, a titans team mate he has been training with.

Bird also does most of his work on left side if i remember correct, so that could be a pretty deadly combo for us, Bird drawing them in and offloading to Jamal.

im not too too concerned yet about his leftside play.

Jamal Idris puts NRL premiership glory with Titans ahead of Origin, Test ambitions

Gold Coast Titans centre Jamal Idris slips a pass away in his impressive NRL premierhsip debut for the club Picture: Evan Morgan Source: News Limited

HE MADE his NRL debut as a teenager and played State of Origin and Test football before his 21st birthday.

Now Jamal Idris wants to tick the most important box of all by helping Gold Coast to a watershed premiership.

The Titans' $1.8 million recruit revealed his ambition to win a title was a driving force in his outstanding two-try performance to help sink the Cowboys 18-0 at Dairy Farmers Stadium on Saturday night.

In his official debut for the club, Idris opened the scoring after only five minutes before crossing for the 74th-minute try that suggested the 199cm giant could be the buy of the season in 2012.

On current form, Idris, 22 in July, is making all the right noises to again enter Origin and Test calculations. But the dreadlocked centre said winning a premiership with his colleagues at the Titans, rather than any personal glories, would be the most gratifying achievement in football.

"I'm more focused on helping the club win a premiership than anything else," said Idris, who won his maiden NSW Origin jumper in 2010 and made his Test debut last season.

"I don't feel I need to prove anything to myself (by playing rep football), I'm having the time of my life here. Winning a premiership with your mates, that trumps everything.

"I've heard the stories about guys who have won grand finals and they say there's no better feeling. That's all they talk about and that's why guys get tattoos (to mark premiership wins) on their body. I'd love to experience that feeling."

Of course, no one at the Titans is talking titles after one win, but foremost in Idris's memory bank is the Broncos' premiership defeat of the Roosters 12 years ago.

He had just turned 10.

"I loved watching Lote Tuqiri, he was just a freak and at the time as a kid I thought he was the quickest guy in the world," he said.

"Justin Hodges (Broncos centre) is another guy I've looked up to.

"I used to go for the Broncos when I was a kid, my brother followed them, and that grand final win really had an effect on me."

Idris has been previously pilloried for his approach to training but the Bulldogs recruit has stripped 7kg over summer to enter the new campaign in the best shape of his career.

Cowboys rival Robert Lui saw Idris first hand on Saturday night and believes his backline presence can transform the Titans.

"He's a huge guy, he looks as fit as ever," Lui said.

"He's one of those guys with raw talent ... you just can't stop him when he's in the mood."

www.couriermail.com.au