Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Junior

Default Gordon, Mead have need for speed

This article is from a few weeks ago, but just in case nobody has seen it.. the forum has been pretty dead so this will help excite us for 2012.

Adam Gardini
    30/11/2011 2:57:02 PM
    Speedy wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead are hopeful that more sprint specific training can help them enhance their blistering acceleration heading into the 2012 season.

The pair have been previously labelled as two of the fastest wingers in the NRL and are hoping that the addition of more plyometric-focused training to their regular routines can help them build on their speed next year.

Plyometrics is a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements.

?Top speed is pretty much genetic, you can?t get any quicker, but I think acceleration wise you can get to your top speed quicker,?? said Gordon.

?I?ve been working on that with plyometrics and stuff in trying to get quicker for next year.??

While Gordon faces the added challenge of making a comeback from a knee reconstruction he underwent in April last year, Mead said he was hoping to add another 20 per cent to his existing speed.

Mead was the club?s leading try scorer in 2011, breaking Gordon?s club record for most tries in a season with 16 four pointers in 24 games.

?I reckon I can get another 20 per cent quicker,?? said Mead, who again represented Papua New Guinea in the end-of-season clash against the Australian PM'S XIII team.

?I?ve never done any sprint training or any plyometric stuff and I?m slowly starting to do a bit of that.

?Hopefully I can do a bit of gym work that?s a bit more specific sprint training.

?I can feel it actually that I can get another 20 per cent quicker acceleration wise.??
    http://www.titans.com.au/default.asp...need-for-speed

Nothing excites me more than our wingers. Can't wait to see these guys score a few tries in our first game.

Scary to think that Mead believes that he can increase his pace! Scary for our opposition.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

In the Titans last game against the Eels when Presto made a break Hayne was on red alert yelling to his boys to get on Mead get on Mead. This has happened a few times in the past for Kev and Dave as the opposition teams know that they cant be given any room at all.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    In the Titans last game against the Eels when Presto made a break Hayne was on red alert yelling to his boys to get on Mead get on Mead. This has happened a few times in the past for Kev and Dave as the opposition teams know that they cant be given any room at all.
    not to mention when hayne made the 100 runaway, Meady was hunting him down quick, looked like a freaking terminator. such a balanced, powerful runner.

i think 20% is a bit too much to hope for. 5% would be plenty.

he is my favourite titan and has been for ages.

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Nothing excites me more than thought that our wings can actually get some quality early ball.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBouveng View Post
    not to mention when hayne made the 100 runaway, Meady was hunting him down quick, looked like a freaking terminator. such a balanced, powerful runner.

i think 20% is a bit too much to hope for. 5% would be plenty.

he is my favourite titan and has been for ages.
    Hayne had a solid 10 -20m head start and Mead actually caught up to him at the end. That is freakish.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    Nothing excites me more than thought that our wings can actually get some quality early ball.
    True that. I like watching the Tigers play because they use every cm of the Parks width. Benji and Thurston hit the wingers more than anyone else in the comp.

Junior

lets just hope now that Zillman has been annointed as 5/8 that he actually gets the ball out to the wings, with our explosive centres and the speed of our wingers this is going to be key next year.. it was key last season and one of the major reasons we went down, we couldnt get the ball out of the halves. Next season we have one of the best forward packs in the comp, an unbelievable centre / wing combination.. it will be the the combo of Prince/Zillman/Srama/Rankin that really needs to fire up and become an attacking powerhouse if we are to see points on the board. Have no doubt that if our centre/wingers get the ball we will score tries and lots of them !

QLD Cup

looking at the replays its easy to see how much we missed Gordon last year. Opportunistic tries in 2010 made quite a difference to our good result.

But since when has Zillman been annointed 5/8?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic Believer View Post
    looking at the replays its easy to see how much we missed Gordon last year. Opportunistic tries in 2010 made quite a difference to our good result.

But since when has Zillman been annointed 5/8?
    was in todays Gold Coast Bulletin, and whilst it mentioned that sezer and henry were injured, it made out like Zillman is the preference anyways.

i agree with post above about quality ball to centre and wings, unfortunately Zillman seems to be a ball runner more than a distributor, hope he is working on it.

everyone has been annointed so far so you could never tell. But i talked to all 3 at the christmas party and zilly and henry thought sezer while sezer thought zilly. All of them though are very keen to wear the 6 and i hope we see the battle continue as it will do nothing but good to their abilities.

Our centres won't even get any quality ball if Zillman plays 5/8...

Quote Originally Posted by The Gladiator View Post
    everyone has been annointed so far so you could never tell. But i talked to all 3 at the christmas party and zilly and henry thought sezer while sezer thought zilly. All of them though are very keen to wear the 6 and i hope we see the battle continue as it will do nothing but good to their abilities.
    I hope u are right wen Zilly and Henry said tht Sezer is playing 5/8. Wen u asked Sezer who would play 5/8 i doubt he would say himself cuz it would look selfish. Anyways did u ask who is going to play fullback?

Mead set a 3 or 4 records today one included the 40mtr dash. Exhausted he still managed to set a time of 4.81 secs, he said his speed specific awareness has def made him quicker. The club as a whole is well ahead of this time last year.