Default NRL All Stars to trial law changes

BY: STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian December 02, 2011 12:00AM

IT has its origins in ice hockey and now the power play is coming to the NRL.

The All Stars game on February 4 will trial a number of rule changes including one where a team on the attack can ask the defence to drop two players from its team.

Each team will be allowed one power play per half of football and the defending team will have to sweat it out for five minutes before it can return to a full complement on the field.

Fans will get to enjoy the moment too with a shot clock appearing on the scoreboard counting down the time before the two players can rejoin their teammates.

NRL football operations director Nathan McGuirk came up with the idea and has already bounced it off NRL All Stars coach Wayne Bennett and Indigenous coach Laurie Daley.

"It's probably something that we're not looking to introduce into the competition but we thought it was an interesting way in which we could promote attacking football in what's becoming an important game on the rugby league calendar," McGuirk said yesterday.
    While the power play might not have a long-term future in the NRL, the same can't be said for the other proposed changes in the tackle count restarting from where a penalty is given and a 20/40 kick option.

As it stands in the NRL at the moment, teams usually kick for touch following a penalty and have a fresh set of six in a better position on the field.

The new rule applies to the defending team if it attempts to slow play down while acts of foul play or infringements by the attacking team will still lead to a kick for touch.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Could make for a bit more excitement but as long as it never goes any further than this match..
    #itaintweaktospeak

How about this?

Every time the attacking team receives a penalty inside the attacking 20m zone, they cannot take a kick for goal but they must execute the power play for that set of six with the condition that they cannot score from a catch on the full (bomb).
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    BY: STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian December 02, 2011 12:00AM

While the power play might not have a long-term future in the NRL, the same can't be said for the other proposed changes in the tackle count restarting from where a penalty is given and a 20/40 kick option.

As it stands in the NRL at the moment, teams usually kick for touch following a penalty and have a fresh set of six in a better position on the field.

The new rule applies to the defending team if it attempts to slow play down while acts of foul play or infringements by the attacking team will still lead to a kick for touch.
    I don't quite understand the rule!

I think the 20/40 is clear but don't know why we need it - I'm all for tactical kicking but I shudder at over-emphasising it like Yawnion.

On the other I'm with you Chaos and I also think that this is a result of Hollywood Harrogan wrestling referees back to centrestage. This rule smacks of over-refereeing.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.