View Poll Results: Titans: If Danny Ward signed, what would your reaction be?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Happy - we have signed a world class prop

4 30.77%
  • Undecided - there are positives and negatives

7 53.85%
  • Against it - Ward could be a potential handful off the field

2 15.38%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Titans: If Danny Ward signed, what would your reaction be?

Titans: If Danny Ward signed, what would your reaction be?

The Danny Ward rumour won't go away and whilst I cannot confirm or deny anything at the moment, IF we sign Ward I can't help but think there is going to be a lot of different reactions from Titans fans.

Vote what your reaction would be and post your reasoning, this should make a good read.

DeeGan
    Last edited by DeeGan; 20-01-06 at 12:58 PM.

Ah rumours and innuendo! We really are an NRL club.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I voted 'undecided - there are positives and negatives'.

Postitives

- World class prop
    - Young, plenty of years left in the game
    - Gives us prop number three forming a formidable rotation with Bailey and Laffranchi
    - If signed, Gold Coast Titans management have given the seal of approval which is good enough for me. We as fans have trusted and applauded each move made thus far, why stop now?

Negatives

- Off-field dramas at previous club, would that carry over to the Titans?
    - Another UK player yet to be tested at NRL level

DeeGan

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

I'm sitting on the fence, those alcohol problems worry me a bit. The club should bring in personnel to help players with problems such as this. If the club shows it really cares for the players, less people will want to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Idoit
    I'm sitting on the fence, those alcohol problems worry me a bit. The club should bring in personnel to help players with problems such as this. If the club shows it really cares for the players, less people will want to leave.
    Good post.

It would be naive to think we at the Titans are going to not sign players in the future that have an off-field blemish against them if on the field they are going to be of benefit. We are not the Gold Coast Angels.

The Gold Coast Titans management team are smart enough to identify a potential 'bad egg' and take the appropriate steps to ensure the player is given every opportunity to better himself off the field. If we looked at signing Danny Ward it would be done with the player knowing what we are expecting from him on and off the field. I would envision some type of release clause to be added as well if there was an incident off the field.

Using Danny Ward as an example, the club can look at many different alcohol awareness courses as well as have the player out and about in the community (schools) promoting no drink driving for example. This is off the top of my head, though you see my point.

If the player in question is seen as too big a risk, he won't be signed, simple as that. Once more, I have trust in Michael, John and Scott when it comes to a possible signing of Ward - if they see him as a worthy signing, good enough for me. If he (Ward) disappoints them, they will raise their hand and admit they got it wrong.

Again, Ward had three chances at Leeds and blew it, that is a concern as he did not learn from previous experiences. A 25 y.o. man knows right from wrong and whilst some could argue a lack of maturity, I would say Ward is guilty of endulging in a bit to drink with the boys one too many times.

A change is as good as a holiday - with Hull likely to get Ward for a year, it will be interesting to see how he goes in 2006. As a Gold Coast Titans fan, I will be keeping a close eye on him in the Hull FC jersey as well keep an ear to the ground off the field.

DeeGan

Im not sure, from what i have heard he is talented. But the off field dramas may tarnish the club. If the titans do sign him we could see headlines like "Titans sign controversial league player" and thats not good for the club.
    Last edited by Queenslander; 24-01-06 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    Im not sure, from what i have heard he is talented. But the off field dramas may tarnish the club. If the titans do sign him we could see headlines like "Titans sign controversial league player" and thats not good for the club.
    True, the heading is not ideal though when he sets foot on Australian soil (that's IF he sets foot on Australian soil as a Titan) I believe he has a right to start with a clean slate much the way Danny Williams did when heading to London.

The Australian media will judge him not on the past but his deeds on and off the field for the team. Sure they may question the signing given we have said 'we will sign the person before the player' though again the management team are not fools and would not jeopardise our hard work off the field since our inception for one player when we have Bailey and Laffranchi.

We will learn more after June 30. If there is another good prop on the scene in the NRL or one who is emerging through the lower grades, it may be a safer bet to look in our own backyard. The positive remains up front we are looking really healthy and if we don't sign Ward, no big deal, it won't impact on our 2007 season.

DeeGan
    Last edited by DeeGan; 20-01-06 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    True, the heading is not ideal though when he sets foot on Australian soild (that's IF he sets foot on Australian soil as a Titan) I believe he has a right to start with a clean slate much the way Danny Williams did when heading to London.

The Australian media will judge him not on the past but his deeds on and off the field for the team. Sure they may question the signing given we have said 'we will sign the person before the player' though again the management team are not fools and would not jeopardise our hard work off the field since our inception for one player when we have Bailey and Laffranchi.

We will learn more after June 30. If there is another good prop on the scene in the NRL or one who is emerging through the lower grades, it may be a safer bet to look in our own backyard. The positive remains up front we are looking really healthy and if we don't sign Ward, no big deal, it won't impact on our 2007 season.

DeeGan
    If the guy is talented i will give him a fresh slate when/if he gets here; as will many of others....but the media doesnt, which is a shame. And like you said the titans still have plenty of time to make these decisions. Unlike many other clubs we have time on our side!

If the guy is talented i will give him a fresh slate when/if he gets here; as will many of others....but the media doesnt, which is a shame. And like you said the titans still have plenty of time to make these decisions. Unlike many other clubs we have time on our side!
    Have the Sharks been tarnished after signing Lance Thompson?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Have the Sharks been tarnished after signing Lance Thompson?
    In a way i see you point; but Danny Ward would be a unknown to many NRL fans. And the media will just say the fact that Ward has been in trouble before in England and just give headlines stating the fact that "New team signs English bad-boy"

In a way i see you point; but Danny Ward would be a unknown to many NRL fans. And the media will just say the fact that Ward has been in trouble before in England and just give headlines stating the fact that "New team signs English bad-boy"
    Yeah I see your point as well. Let's just agree that the media are a hassle

Too damn lazy to search but did Morley get in any trouble back in the old dart?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    Yeah I see your point as well. Let's just agree that the media are a hassle
    I see your point and agree. The media gives a headline that is made to create an instant reaction; the story is often underdone

Quote Originally Posted by The Original Idoit
    Too damn lazy to search but did Morley get in any trouble back in the old dart?
    From memory he did, I have found this from the Salford Advertiser:

Published: 6th February 2004
    Morley says sorry to RFL

GREAT Britain rugby league star Adrian Morley has apologised to the Rugby Football League after being found guilty of a drink-driving offence in Salford over Christmas.

Salford lad Morley, who now plays for Australian club Sydney Roosters, has also agreed to donate ?500 to the charity Rugby League Foundation.

The former Leeds Rhino forward was banned from driving for three years and ordered to complete 40 hours of community service after being caught over the limit in December - just three weeks after playing for Great Britain in the Think! Road Safety Test series against Australia.

But the League executive chairman, Richard Lewis, has said the RFL, though disappointed with Morley?s behaviour, will be taking no further action following an investigation.

He said: ?The matter has been dealt with by the courts and, therefore, no further disciplinary action is being taken."

?Nonetheless, both the RFL and Adrian felt it would be appropriate forAdrian to clearly demonstrate his remorse for what happened and this hehas now done.?

The RFL?s decision to accept the apology and donation lays to rest reports in Sydney which had suggested that Morley could be hit with a ban.
    I have a feeling there was an earlier off-field indiscretion as well though I haven't the time to look further in to.

DeeGan

^ I was thinking from his pre-Rooster days, so that there was a precedent. People aren't generally as hard on the second offender as the first.