Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    St George Illawarra: Ashton Sims, Ben Creagh, Ben Hornby, Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Luke Bailey, Mark Gasnier, Matt Cooper, Trent Barrett
    9 Players, more than any other team Just shows that we are just about the best team (on paper) in the comp, and have been for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers
    I think we should be able to pick from the ESL. Just imagine if Joey went over to England to finish his career and he didn't have a bung knee. Imagine if Mark Gasnier went to England. Imagine if Minichiello went to England? English based players SHOULD be available for selection IMO.
    We could only selected players that did go over to England for the Tri-nations or any other end of season game. But for the ANZAC Test in May it would be harder to get the players from over there and have them at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    We could only selected players that did go over to England for the Tri-nations or any other end of season game. But for the ANZAC Test in May it would be harder to get the players from over there and have them at 100%.
    I agree with that mostly, but for the ANZAC test, we should be able to pick from the ESL in exceptional circumstances.

I agree with that mostly, but for the ANZAC test, we should be able to pick from the ESL in exceptional circumstances.
    Yes like if all of the other NRL players have bird flu or die.....It would have to be so exceptional for it to happen....I would like to believe that the NRL has enough good players to fill a void in the Australian team if one did arise

Yes like if all of the other NRL players have bird flu or die.....It would have to be so exceptional for it to happen....I would like to believe that the NRL has enough good players to fill a void in the Australian team if one did arise
    LOL you never know, this bird flu could get very big But what I mean is, just say our top few 5/8's get injured, and it just so happens Trent Barrett (or any other quality 5/8) is over playing for Wigan and is currently the best player in the comp (ESL of course). I would say fly him over for the test.

LOL you never know, this bird flu could get very big But what I mean is, just say our top few 5/8's get injured, and it just so happens Trent Barrett (or any other quality 5/8) is over playing for Wigan and is currently the best player in the comp (ESL of course). I would say fly him over for the test.
    Yeah that bird flu is getting pretty bad, but not as bad as the plague called "Dragons Supporters Disease" If heaven forbid we had to call on Trent Barrett we should just pack our bags and quit

Seriously if that did happen and we lost some quailty players in a position we should use what we have here and give a younger bloke a go.

Yeah that bird flu is getting pretty bad, but not as bad as the plague called "Dragons Supporters Disease" If heaven forbid we had to call on Trent Barrett we should just pack our bags and quit
    I just can't help but laugh lol.

9 Players, more than any other team Just shows that we are just about the best team (on paper) in the comp, and have been for a few years.
    '

And how many premierships has that got you?

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    '

And how many premierships has that got you?

DeeGan
    As I said, "on paper" . We had the talent, but we have lacked true consistency up until the last 2/3's of the 2005 season.

I think Luke Rooney has a right to be a little disappointed not to get an invite to the camp myself - 2004 Rooney was a standout on the wing in the Tri-Nations and for NSW.

Anthony Watmough I believe is in the same boat, a call up in my mind would of done him the world of good after getting dropped after Origin 1.

You can't pick em' all I guess.

I love this idea and Ricky WILL lead us back to the top of the tree in 2006. Great idea, great concept, hopefully with better communication the Brisbane Broncos will be there next year WITH Luke Bailey (hopefully Scott Prince) representing the Gold Coast Titans :]

DeeGan

I wonder what the Titans view towards the international game will be.

I'd say they'd be very supportive, especially considering they are reaching to the horizons with targeting British players.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

More relating to the Pre-season camp:

Orford left out of Roos top 50
    By James Hooper
    January 25, 2006

MANLY'S $1.8 million recruit Matt Orford has been snubbed in a 44-man potential Australia squad announced by Australia selectors yesterday.

In a surprise omission, Orford missed the cut in favour of Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston, axed NSW playmaker Brett Kimmorley and Parramatta rookie Tim Smith.

New Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart last night defended the exclusion of the Sea Eagles halfback, pointing out Orford failed to make a single representative side last year.

"No, it's not an oversight. There are certainly a few halfbacks ahead of him, going on representative honours awarded over the past season," Stuart said.

"We've gone for a group of players, the likes of Tim Smith and Greg Inglis, with an eye on giving them a little bit of an insight and a taste of what these sort of camps are like with the World Cup in mind."

But last night Manly chief executive Pat Wilson remained positive about the Sea Eagles star halfback's representative hopes.

"Matt hasn't raised it with us as a matter for concern, I'm sure his name has come up in discussions," Wilson said.

"I'm not here to be exercising my mind over what Ricky (Stuart) wants or doesn't want. He's entitled to pick who he likes.

"It's his call, I'm not here to second guess the national coach."

Orford, who signed a four-year deal with Manly from this season, has represented City Origin and was drafted into the NSW Origin side in 2004 before being injured.

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said last night Stuart had wanted a larger squad, but limited accommodation had restricted numbers.

"The fact that people aren't in the squad doesn't mean they are out of contention," Carr said.

"Matt would be disappointed in missing out but it may provide that bit of motivation for him to really push to get back in.

"Just because he didn't get picked doesn't mean the coach doesn't like him."

Retired Manly and Kangaroos halfback Geoff Toovey asked why such a large squad had been chosen yet other players could still be selected from outside of it.

"Players who performed strongly all last year but have been left out of such a big squad are entitled to feel dejected," Toovey said.

The Bondi camp will be the first of its kind under new national coach Ricky Stuart, who took control after former coach Wayne Bennett lost the Tri-Nations final to New Zealand in England last November.

Eight players - Andrew Johns, Craig Gower, Danny Buderus, Ben Kennedy, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer and Brent Tate - were excused from the camp due to prior commitments whiel Wests Tigers players were not considered due to the World Club Challenge.
    I forgot all about Matt Orford and he can feel a little dejected as well this morning. I think Orford needs to find more consistency in his game though in saying that I would of picked him ahead of NRL Rookie of the Year Tim Smith or Brett Kimmorley. Smith I feel is selected to be 'blooded' and be in the company of the elite - great move and hopefully this propels him to another great season in the NRL.

DeeGan

Though I do like the Manly club's response to Orford missing out;

"I'm not here to be exercising my mind over what Ricky (Stuart) wants or doesn't want. He's entitled to pick who he likes.

"It's his call, I'm not here to second guess the national coach."

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Though I do like the Manly club's response to Orford missing out;
    Yeah classy response from the Manly half.

I think Orford will fit right in at Manly and have one of his better seasons with the club as outside of football he is now close to family and friends. Orford may have found the right mix on and off the field with the game which should see him dominate behind a very good Manly pack led by BK.

DeeGan

I still hope the last 4 are (in order) Parra, Manly, Dogs and Brisbane with the Rossters just in front of them.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....