Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Pre-season Kangaroos Camp

The Broncos are set to boycott a proposed preliminary Australian Rugby League camp on January 28-29, adding further pressure to the strained relationship between former Test coach Wayne Bennett and his successor Ricky Stuart.

Stuart has sought the unprecedented "preliminary Test camp" in Sydney to get to know the players better before the clash with the Kiwis at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium on May 5.

He has asked for Broncos Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Shaun Berrigan to attend but the Broncos have a camp on the Sunshine Coast the same weekend.

The camp was scheduled months ago but the club was only told about the proposed Test camp on Wednesday.

"Unfortunately, this will be built into a Wayne versus Ricky thing when that is not the case," Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen said last night.

"The Coolum camp is an important part of our build-up to the season and we want all the players to be there.

"If Ricky wants to get to know the Brisbane players maybe he could fly up some time for lunch."

Bennett resigned as coach soon after returning to Australia from the 2005 Tri-Nations in England where the Kangaroos were beaten 24-0 by New Zealand in the final. Stuart was appointed his successor and criticisms of aspects of the conduct of the Tri-Nations campaign resulted in a slanging match between Stuart and Bennett.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said last night several Cowboys players had been invited to attend the camp but he would leave it up to the ARL to release their names.

Parr said the players would be allowed to attend if the camp went ahead.

Second-rower Luke O'Donnell was the only Cowboys player on the Tri-Nations tour.

The Courier Mail
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I support the introduction of a small weekend camp for potential Kangaroos players. It may infringe on some NRL training, the clubs should have been warned about it before they put together their pre-season training regime. But the NRL season is still a month and a half after the camp.

I really think we need a rallying point in our campaign to return the Tri Nations to its rightful owner, this may be it.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Geez, tell me this ain't going to be a game of 'tit for tat' between Brisbane and the Ricky Stuart led Australian team :ok:

The camp was scheduled months ago but the club was only told about the proposed Test camp on Wednesday
    How is it a NRL club (with the Australian skipper) only finds out about this camp Wednesday?

If the Australian coach is wanting a mini camp to meet his players before the May Test, like the Cowboys, I would hope all NRL clubs oblige him given it is the pre-season and only eating in to a couple of days over a weekend.

DeeGan

If the Broncos were only told on Wednesday then its not their fault that their players are busy. I support these sort of "team building" camps but they have got to give their players time. Plus its a bit early to start a camp for the Australian team. All the players know each other and im sure they know Ricky......it sounds like another excuse for a holiday....when they should be training for the upcoming NRL season.

But when else would you have a camp for the Kangaroos? With the Anzac Test on May 5th? There won't be any other free weekends in the season, in the lead up.

One thing that plagues rugby league is poor lines of communication. I have no idea how the Broncos couldn't know about this. But the communication problem needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD
    But when else would you have a camp for the Kangaroos? With the Anzac Test on May 5th? There won't be any other free weekends in the season, in the lead up.
    Thats always been a problem with the "Anzac" test. This camp would help that problem but as you said communication has been a problem in the past and it looks like it still is.

I am certain the players all know or know of Ricky Stuart though I am not sure that impacts on what Ricky Stuart may be wanting to get from a mini-camp over a weekend in late January.

I appreciate that yet again your defending your team here Queenslander though when would a 'team bonding camp' like this be suitable? Late February which hampers a NRL clubs pre-season training even further? Should we look at it when the season starts? Surely not.

If the Broncos only found out about it Wednesday, they have a right to be peeved, though IMO they should be seen to be flexible as well given I cannot see any other NRL club kicking up a fuss when dealing with the best interests of their players who may wear the green and gold.

Reality is the timing of the camp is not going to impact greatly on a club who started pre-season training late 2005. Brisbane can argue until blue in the face that it will though reality is the bulk of the pre-season training would be done during the week, not the weekend.

Brisbane vs the world part IV - coming to the NRL season in 2006.

DeeGan

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    I appreciate that yet again your defending your team here Queenslander though when would a 'team bonding camp' like this be suitable? Late February which hampers a NRL clubs pre-season training even further? Should we look at it when the season starts? Surely not.
    No one else seems to like the Broncos here so im just sitting in the sinking boat But as i have said the camp would solve the problems of "team bonding camp" for the Anzac Test, its just a shame it wasnt communicated with the Broncos earlier as it disrupts their own camp.

If the Broncos only found out about it Wednesday, they have a right to be peeved, though IMO they should be seen to be flexible as well given I cannot see any other NRL club kicking up a fuss when dealing with the best interests of their players who may wear the green and gold.
    I think they are trying to be flexible but people are just seeing the Ricky vs Wayne battle......the broncos have invited Ricky to the club to have a bonding session with the respective players

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    No one else seems to like the Broncos here so im just sitting in the sinking boat But as i have said the camp would solve the problems of "team bonding camp" for the Anzac Test, its just a shame it wasnt communicated with the Broncos earlier as it disrupts their own camp.
    Again, the Broncos have a right to be a little annoyed at the lack of communication IF the other NRL teams were aware months before. I find it hard to believe though I can only go off what is reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenslander
    I think they are trying to be flexible but people are just seeing the Ricky vs Wayne battle......the broncos have invited Ricky to the club to have a bonding session with the respective players
    True, they are offering up an alternative though the 'team bonding' is thrown out the window when it involved only the coach and players from Brisbane

As much as it will be painted as a Ricky vs Wayne battle, right or wrong there is no denying the tension between the two parties which will involve both clubs as a result (though Sydney v Brisbane is not a new rivalry it has to be said). I cannot see Brisbane bending too much for Ricky (as they are showing here) and I feel for the players in the middle. If the rest of the Australian players invited are turning up January 28-29, I am certain they would love to be there for that weekend as well.

If it were the Gold Coast Titans in the middle of this one I would like to think we would express our frustration to the powers to be (NRL/ARL) but also accomodate the national team and not keep our players from a camp that the coach deems important.

DeeGan

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

Im not getting into a Bennett v Stuart arguement, i equally dislike both men. To offer to have lunch with the Brisbane Aussie players separately makes a mockery of what Stuart is trying to do. New coach, new ground rules id say. Pulling together 30 or so potential Kangaroo players to outline what the coach has i store is a great idea.

Let the iron fist go Bennett, this sounds like the beginning of paranoia setting in.

Kangaroos Coach Already Plots Revenge

New Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart has wasted no time plotting Australia's league redemption.

Although the National Rugby League kick-off is seven weeks away and the Anzac test a blip on the horizon, Stuart has put players on notice that they are under consideration for the May 5 test at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, where Australia hope to avenge their Tri-Nations title loss to the Kiwis last November.

Stuart has named an initial 40-man squad to meet in Sydney next weekend, including many established internationals. But he has also got an eye for the future by naming promising players including Anthony Tupou (Roosters) and Melbourne teenager Greg Inglis.

Inglis, who turned 19 this week, was also named by selectors in a squad for an emerging Queensland State of Origin camp.

The fullback made his first-grade debut only last season, appearing in 13 games for the Storm alongside rookie Kiwis' wing Jake Webster.

Inglis was one of five Melbourne players named in the squad, alongside Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Michael Crocker and Matt King.

Brisbane had four players - Darren Lockyer, Petero Civoniceva, Brent Tate and Shaun Berrigan - selected but they have already been ruled out by club officials as it clashes with a camp the club has already scheduled.

Andrew Johns, Penrith half Craig Gower and Knights hooker Danny Buderus are also unavailable and players from Wests Tigers were excluded as they will be in England for the World Club Challenge.

Notable inclusions were Cronulla prop Ben Ross, Penrith fullback Rhys Wesser and Sydney Roosters' Braith Anasta and Ashley Harrison.

Cronulla halfback Brett Kimmorley, dropped after the opening game of last year's Origin series, has also been named.

Source: NZ Herald

Is there a complete squad list anywhere?

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dakink
    Is there a complete squad list anywhere?
    None has been released. I guess having the NRL website out of action doesn't help.

You could probably piece together one from various articles. I'm sure one will turn up over the next couple days.

You would think they would publish the squad with their article if they had access to it.

well, i didn't see this thread and posted my thoughts into another, but i agree with what Queenslander said ( surprise surprise).

Again, the Broncos have a right to be a little annoyed at the lack of communication IF the other NRL teams were aware months before. I find it hard to believe though I can only go off what is reported.

True, they are offering up an alternative though the 'team bonding' is thrown out the window when it involved only the coach and players from Brisbane

As much as it will be painted as a Ricky vs Wayne battle, right or wrong there is no denying the tension between the two parties which will involve both clubs as a result (though Sydney v Brisbane is not a new rivalry it has to be said). I cannot see Brisbane bending too much for Ricky (as they are showing here) and I feel for the players in the middle. If the rest of the Australian players invited are turning up January 28-29, I am certain they would love to be there for that weekend as well.

If it were the Gold Coast Titans in the middle of this one I would like to think we would express our frustration to the powers to be (NRL/ARL) but also accomodate the national team and not keep our players from a camp that the coach deems important.

DeeGan
    If the rest of the Australian players invited are turning up -
    Johns, Buderus and Gower are all not attending (could be wrong but Gower has his wedding to attend).
    And the bulldogs players have yet to confirm whether they will be attending ( but since they are already in sydney i'm pretty sure tehy will be.)
    so why is there all a fuss over the Broncos? The Broncos players have other commitments which were already in place BEFORE this camp was organised, other players also have commitments.
    and the "team bonding", i thought the article said it was more a meet and greet between teh coach and potential players.

Geez, tell me this ain't going to be a game of 'tit for tat' between Brisbane and the Ricky Stuart led Australian team :ok:

How is it a NRL club (with the Australian skipper) only finds out about this camp Wednesday?

If the Australian coach is wanting a mini camp to meet his players before the May Test, like the Cowboys, I would hope all NRL clubs oblige him given it is the pre-season and only eating in to a couple of days over a weekend.

DeeGan

Yes it is only a couple of days over the weekend, and probably any other weekend and the Broncos would b in attendence but, this weekend happens to fall on the same time as the Broncos camp, and while it is the pre-season, this camp at coolum will probably be also about bonding between the players as well as training.