Headingley to stage league club challenge

Next year's World Club Challenge rugby league final will be staged in England but the event could be held in Australia in the near future.

It has been confirmed Headingley, the home of Super League champions Leeds, will stage the final on February 17 when the Yorkshire side face NRL premiers Manly.

In the 12 years since the fixture between the British and Australian champions was revived, the match has always been played in England.

But Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington had said in the past that the fixture could take place in Australia or even a 'neutral' venue such as Dubai.

"Whilst there has been talk about that for the last eight or nine years (playing the World Club Challenge outside the UK), it's never really got far," Hetherington said.

"But just recently, there does seem to be an appetite, particularly from the Australian clubs, to start to explore that possibility.

"I think the fact that we were prepared to play the game in Australia probably took the Australians by surprise and it made the NRL think seriously about staging it.

"It turned out to be too short a time scale for 2012 but I think, for the future, it's very much on the agenda now.

"... It has taken quite a while to determine both the date and the venue but we are delighted that Headingley should stage this event."

Rhinos captain Kevin Sinfield, fresh from England's Four Nations final defeat by the Kangaroos, is looking forward to facing the Sea Eagles.

"It's always nice to play against the Australian sides," he said.

"We weren't good enough at the weekend but I'm sure the guys involved would love to get another crack, especially against Manly.

"We have some good memories from our previous World Club Challenges at Elland Road but to take on the NRL champions on our home ground will be incredible.

"The lads have talked about this game since the grand final. I wish it was tomorrow."

In Leeds' meeting with Manly in 2009, the Sea Eagles won 28-20.

http://www.nrl.com