Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Danny Ward a Titan?

Sacked Ward weighs up his options
    By Michael Fisher
    (Filed: 18/01/2006)

Danny Ward, the Great Britain forward sacked by Leeds Rhinos, is hoping to stay in the Engage Super League this year but may be tempted to rebuild his career with the Australian club Gold Coast in 2007.

Gold Coast are already being linked with Ward whose contract was terminated following "a series of breaches of club rules over the last 12 months".

The immediate problem for Ward, 25, is that most Super League clubs have already signed the 20 players allowed to earn ?20,000 or more for 2006.

Both Leeds and Ward's representatives elected not to elaborate on the circumstances of his dismissal yesterday although the Rugby Football League were quick to dismiss speculation that they are undertaking any drugs investigation.

Leeds insist they will not be dipping into the transfer market for a prop despite Ward's departure, Barrie McDermott's retirement and a serious shoulder injury to new signing Mark O'Neill in a pre-season friendly.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...8/slfish18.xml
    I find this article very hard to believe as just last week we (Titans) stated that we are against signing bad eggs to keep our rep in tact. Does anyone else believe this? I guess Titans are linked to a few people in the ESL...

This from another source

Ward was already believed to have attracted interest from the new Gold Coast club about a potential move there at the end of his Leeds contract this November. But, with Gold Coast not launching until 2007, the 25-year-old is now actively seeking a club in Britain.
    http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbylea...688662,00.html

I was going to post this but just thought it was merely speculative journalism and the Titans would never sign him anyway considering their policy and the reason for Ward leaving.

No thanks!
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Yeah, My thoughts exactly! What exactly did he do to get sacked? E.g "a series of breaches of club rules over the last 12 months"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingytek
    Yeah, My thoughts exactly! What exactly did he do to get sacked? E.g "a series of breaches of club rules over the last 12 months"
    I have no idea. It must be collectively pretty serious. He must have a bad streak in him.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titan First Grade Regular Titans#1's Avatar

www.rlfans.com

AT LEAST four engage Super League clubs have inquired about signing Danny Ward, the Leeds Rhinos and Great Britain prop, who had his contract at Headingley terminated for alcohol-related breaches of club discipline, three weeks before the start of the season. Ward was dismissed under an apparent policy of three strikes and youre out. His latest misdemeanour followed a drink-driving conviction last July, his alleged misbehaviour on the return journey from Leedss match in Perpignan against London Broncos last season and a run-in with Tony Smith, the Leeds coach, who has a reputation as a disciplinarian. He had already received two official warning letters. His contract had a year to run and was torn up after what Leeds described as a further serious breach of club rules. His imbibing was something of an exception at Leeds, where many of the players are teetotal

Well, thats something we dont need!

Won't stop a Super League club from signing him.

Titan First Grade Regular Titans#1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingytek
    Well, thats something we dont need!
    We also don't want tea-totaler's lol.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

There are far better players that are within reach than Ward. Where's Deegan? He knows all about Leeds and could give us the whole story.

I know as much as what has been reported here.

All I will add is the Gold Coast Titans will look at 'signing the person before the player'. If Ward is not suited to the culture we are bringing to the NRL in 2007, he won't get a start with the Titans.

DeeGan

Junior Titan

These alcohol issues in Rugby League are getting more and more serious.

Titan First Grade Squad The Original Idiot's Avatar

Remember Craig Wing talking about the strictness applied to NFL players? I don't think it's merely a coincidence that American Football is stronger than ever and basketball and its oft-badly behaved players are sinking in popularity.

Something like that should come into league to stop morons like Gower.

Ok just one thing I want to say.. I don't want Danny Ward at the GC as I reckon it will ruin the image we are trying to create as a club that is for the community, that supports the community and tries to do the best for its community.. and that can only be a bad thing..

Quote Originally Posted by mirror.co.uk
    19 January 2006
    WARD'S SORRY TO RHINOS
    By David Burke

SHAMED Danny Ward has apologised for his behaviour which prompted his sacking by Leeds Rhinos.

But Ward, 25, wanted by Aussie new boys Gold Coast for their launch next year, is likely to join a rival engage Super League club before the start of the season.

Wakefield, who have a space left on their quota for a player earning more than ?20,000, are emerging as favourites, with champions Bradford Bulls ruling themselves out of any deal for the Great Britain prop after having reached the salary cap limit.

Promoted Castleford Tigers could also be keen if Aussie centre Ryan McGoldrick decides to move to Wests Tigers from Cronulla.

Ward, 25, is understood to have been given two warnings last season for drink-related incidents and he was axed after a third recent event.

He was banned from driving last year and Ward's agent Ron Hill said: "Danny is deeply embarrassed and upset by the termination of his contract with Leeds.

"He would like to apologise to all the supporters and all his colleagues at Headingley for any shame he has brought upon the club."
    I will see what I can find out re: the article.

As per the comment from Carty yesterday, I think the same applies here.

DeeGan