Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Finals at large stadiums

What are your thoughts?

I am all for it. To increase our game's crowd numbers we must get Sydney fans to learn to travel. And I find it very weak that fans won't cross the town to support their team, even on a Premiership round basis.

I travel from Brisbane to Titans games... So by contrast I'm not impressed.

One big reason why we need these is that we need to follow the AFL's lead and try and play big games at big stadiums. We need to make big games and rivalries EVENTS.

I believe we can help train fans to travel by playing our Finals games at big stadiums and have aspirational targets. Even if we don't see immediate dividends. The benefits out weigh the cons.

Now many might say, all well and good, I'm a Queenslander and we can play at Skilled Park and Lang Park. And that it isn't fair.

But is it fair for that all these out of Sydney teams have to get on a plane to Sydney ever 2nd week or two? Sydney teams have an advantage during the year by playing so many "away" games in Sydney.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 19-09-11 at 02:51 PM.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

It's a minimum 1200km round trip for me to watch an NRL match, 1400kms if I wanna watch the Titans. Add accomodation, assodiated costs and time off work - getting to any game is quite an event for me. I'd be ****en stoked if I only had to travel 1hr to get to any game, let alone 75% of the regular season or a finals match. Sydney fans are ****in piss weak if they won't even cross town to support their own team in a finals match. HARDEN THE **** UP!
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

The titans semi at suncorp last year was the worst time I've ever had at a titans game. Let every one play at their home grounds. If their home grounds are crap, that means there are too many sydney teams.

I can't stand the current McKintyre system...you are suppose to gain home ground advantage for the top teams but that only helps Brisbane, Melbourne and the Warriors all the way through the finals.

I rather see the AFL style of top 8 and play all finals at ANZ and Suncorp.
    No planned home game advantage.

I agree with Chaos about large stadiums for semis and GF.

If we knew where the semis would be held, they could start selling tickets when the GF tickets go on sale, and sell the joint out weeks before knowing who was playing.

IMO The whole structure has to change.
    2 divisions
    separate finals systems
    and a superbowl type final game.

also someone explain to me how the Broncos are playing Friday night?
    why on earth does the team that plays last sat, have a 6 day turn around
    while the team that won last friday has a 8 day turn around?

That makes no sense, the team that then finished first for the season, will play on Sat night and have one less day to prepare for the GF while the team that finished second if they win get an extra day?????

What sense does it make?

Brisbane v Manly should be on Sat
    Melb v Warr on Friday night
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

I dont agree with conferences, I think they are mickey mouse for many reasons including it'd mean there would be no Sydney v Sydney Grand Finals.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

But there would be every year, but the winner of that GF would play in a superbowl type final against the winner of the other division.

Melbourne
    Brisbane
    Titans
    Warriors
    NthQld
    Canberra
    Brisbane Bombers NEW
    Perth Reds NEW
    Wellington Orcas NEW
    PNG Kumals NEW

Parra
    Roosters
    Tigers
    Dogs
    Manly
    Stg
    Penrith
    Souths
    NewCastle
    Sharks

Both divisions have a top 5 system
    week 1:
    a. po1 - rest
    b. po2 v po3
    c. po4 v po5

week 2:
    gameA. po1 v (winner game b)
    gameB. (loser game b) V (winner game c)

week 3:
    winner gameA rest
    loser gameA v winner gameB

Division Grand Final

Winner of division v winner of other division in a superbowl.
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Sorry..I had spacing so you view it easy but it didn't keep it on save.

why do we need 2 sydney teams in the GF?
    i dont understand

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    why do we need 2 sydney teams in the GF?
    i dont understand
    So you could have 2 QLD teams without looking Bias

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    So you could have 2 QLD teams without looking Bias
    haha ok that works i guess, but at a ratio of 10/3 lot more chance of them achieving it.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I dont agree with conferences, I think they are mickey mouse for many reasons including it'd mean there would be no Sydney v Sydney Grand Finals.
    What if you play the AFL top 8 with Coasters 2 devision comp (A and B for example) ...4 from each side.
    Assuming the top team kept winning it could look something like this.

week 1________1A-2B___3A-4B___________4A-3B____2A-1B

week 2____________2B-3A____________________3B-2A

Week 3__________1A-2B_________________________2A-1B

Grand Final____________________1A-1B

This way two Sydney teams could still play in Grand Final if both win first games (1A and 2A)

Not a fan of that conference system. Unless I wanted to travel to Sydney I would never get to see my team play.

The siteuation we had in week 1 of the finals was ridiculous. The Tigers vs Dragons game should have been played at the SFS. It was moved to ANZ to make sure 30000 fans weren't locked out because the ground was full, but the attendance was only a handful over the capacity of the SFS.

The whole point of the McIntyre system is to give the top 4 a home ground advantage. That is the only advantage the top 4 get. The top 2 get a guaranteed second chance, but 3 and 4 don't. If we stop allowing teams a true home ground advantage, then the random outcomes and unfairness that the McIntyre system produces is all for nothing. Manly, being a top 4 side, deserved to play at their home ground. All this talk of Brookvale oval not being up to scratch to host a week 1 final is crap. If it is good enough to host NRL matches it is good enough to host a week 1 final. I agree with finals in later weeks being moved to bigger grounds but it seems like overkill in week 1.

The McIntyre system is a joke. Some years the lower teams will be outclassed and be absolutely flogged. Other years the lower teams are in hot form and will cause teams ranked higher up to get prematurely eliminated. I envy the AFL system. The top 4 get a real advantage, they are guaranteed a second chance. The games in week 1 have a purpose, and you know your outcome as soon as you win/lose the game. The top 4 are playing for a week off, and the bottom 4 are playing for survival.

Imagine if this years final was following the AFL system.

Melbourne vs Tigers - Would have been a blockbuster. In form team vs 2011 benchmark
    Manly vs Brisbane - Round 2, this time on Manly's turf. Would have been a cracker.
    Dragons vs Knights - Dragons out of form against a confident Newcastle fighting for survival
    Warriors vs Cowboys - Flamboyance of New Zealand against the attacking flair of Thurston in the cauldron that is sudden death football.

I tell you what Coaster...the teams in your first group would have some traveling to do.
    Canberra, only 4 hours from Sydney.
    Melbourne...South of Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I tell you what Coaster...the teams in your first group would have some traveling to do.
    Canberra, only 4 hours from Sydney.
    Melbourne...South of Sydney
    Yeah they would need a bigger salary cap im guessing.

The problem is this
    Parra
    Roosters
    Tigers
    Dogs
    Manly
    Stg
    Penrith
    Souths
    NewCastle
    Sharks

I dont want to cull sides, but fmd that is too many team to have in a small radius