Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NRL Preliminary Final: Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles vs Brisbane Broncos
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Manly only Sydney hope, fans can't bear it

THEY are NSW's only remaining NRL side but Manly is the club Sydney fans still can't bear to see win.

It seems Sydney rugby league fans are cheering for New Zealand, Brisbane or Melbourne ahead of the disliked Sea Eagles to win this year's title.

Manly cannot seem to muster any support outside Sydney's northern beaches - and that's just how the club likes it. As they have for 64 years, Manly, the Silvertails, remain the team NRL fans love to hate.

Tweeters yesterday let their feelings be known when questioned about whether they could possibly support Manly in this year's remaining games.

They wrote: Never cheer for Manly; No way; Rather stick pins in my eyes; Over my dead body; Absolutely nooooooo; Hell no; I am a Dragons fan but will cheer for Brisbane; I'd rather no NSW win than than Manly.

An on-line Daily Telegraph poll asked which side respondents would cheer for over the next two weekends. New Zealand came first.

A crowd of 30,000 is expected for Friday night's preliminary final between Manly and Brisbane at the SFS - officials curious to see whether Sea Eagles fans travel across the Harbour.

Departing Manly official Peter Peters said his club has always been hated.

"It is in our footprint," Peters said. "In 1969 when I joined the club, (then secretary) Ken Arthurson told me it was 'us versus them' and it had always been that way. That will never change. We have learned to live with that and it feels good because we have the most loyal fans in the premiership."

Told Sydney fans would prefer to see Melbourne, New Zealand or Brisbane win the premiership, Peters said: "I don't believe that.

"In the 2008 grand final, there were 80,000 fans there and 75,000 were Manly supporters. Sydney and NSW got behind Manly that day and that will happen again.

"It may not be trendy to say you are cheering for Manly but in their hearts there is a begrudging love for us."

Manly coach Des Hasler said fans outside the peninsula had never really sided with his club.

"It's tribal. That will never change," Hasler said. "Fans always support two sides ... their own and the team playing Manly.

"But that tribalism is great for the game. We will still have a lot of support there and everyone at the club is looking forward to this game.

"It is a magnificent stage.

"It will be interesting to see who can produce the big plays that count.

"There are a multitude of players from both sides who can produce that something special. It will be a great game."

Hasler said his side was bracing themselves for a massive contest.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I hate Brisbane and Melbourne alot more than I hate Manly.

This man is a machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Go Manly, SMash locky if he plays.

Go Lockyer. Broncos are $2.50 outsiders. Im sure Lockyer will play and Manly will play dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Go Lockyer. Broncos are $2.50 outsiders. Im sure Lockyer will play and Manly will play dirty.
    There are a few Manly players that wont care much for Lockyer's welfare..but every good script needs a villain.

Locky is out now so broncos wont win, but i didnt think they would anyway.

Maybe the Broncos are playing ducks and drakes.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Maybe the Broncos are playing ducks and drakes.
    Wouldn't surprise me if he ran out onto the field on Friday night. I am sure Des Hasler is expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if he ran out onto the field on Friday night. I am sure Des Hasler is expecting it.
    Manly would have their spies out and I'm not sure the Broncos could keep a secret like that in Sydney.

i had my money on manly b4 he was out anyway

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Without Lockyer...Broncos will be hoping for a low scoring game.

They've lost a lot of attack in Lockyer and Hoffman out but their defense is that good they could possibly win with two tries off kicks and a Gillette special.

I wouldn't put any money on them though!

Their attack in the last 2 weeks has mainly consisted of bombing the opposition. Wallace and Lockyer shared the duties. The only change I see happening is Wallace doing alot more of the kicking.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Well a taste of the Broncos next year, without Lockyer, they are a bunch of kids hiding behind Parker, Civoneceiva and Thaiday, plus Wallace is rubbish, all Broncos fans hate him, and Hodges plays every other game cos he's injury prone, I'd like to see the wooden spoon market for 2012, I can see that it may only be going a little bit north next season, perhaps we should give it too Capewell to pack in his luggage, will save the club time and money delivering up there next year lol.