Unhappy PRINCE: Band of brothers disbands

PRINCE: Band of brothers disbands
    Scott Prince

THE band of brothers is disbanding.

From tomorrow the Titans will farewell a large slice of their playing roster.

Clinton Toopi, Riley Brown, Luke Capewell, Anthony Laffranchi, Will Matthews, Preston Campbell, Esi Tonga, Nathan Friend, Brad Meyers, Mat Rogers, Shannon Walker and Joe Tomane are all moving on, either to other clubs or into retirement.

Every year the Titans will gain and lose players, that is the nature of the game. But this is the biggest exodus in our short history, and it's significant.

The significance is in the legacy left by these players. Some have been with us for just a short time but others have lived the entire life of the Titans, since we made our debut in 2007.

In some ways teammates are like everyday workmates. You spend an amount of time with them each day and then you clock off and say goodbye. But in other ways there is a deeper relationship than in most workplaces.

Rugby league is a tough, physical team sport -- with the emphasis on team.

For a team to be successful you must be able to rely on the guy beside you both physically and mentally. That is why we spend so much time on team bonding.

That reliance means that a teammate must put his body on the line for you and the team. As soon as he is not prepared to do that, the team is in trouble.

It's a big ask and it is the reason rugby league is not for everyone. There are also guys who are the ultimate team players, who despite being past exhaustion will force themselves to make one more tackle or one more hit-up because that is what the team needs.

All the above players have played a role in building the Titans into a powerful NRL entity.

All have played a part. However some will leave deeper marks in my psyche because of who they are.

Preston Campbell is an exceptional player and person.

Week-in, week-out his performances on the field have left nobody in doubt as to his courage and ability, but it is off the field I am still learning from him. Presto is the person I want to grow into.

Nathan Friend can be an absolute pest around the training paddock and dressing room but there is no greater example of determination in rugby league.

I played with Friendy many years ago at the Toowoomba Clydesdales. He was chubby, little, but tough.

Over the years he worked and worked and worked until his body shape changed. He transformed from a 20-minute player into a consistent 80-minute player.

I will miss Brad Meyers, because he is the bloke that every club needs.

He is big, hard, does the tough, inglorious work, but never whinges.

I hate the word "potential", because I have seen it weigh too many players down. I have no doubt it has adversely affected Shannon Walker's career.

This freakishly gifted bloke stormed on to the scene in the Queensland Cup the year the Titans were born. He was tipped as the next big thing in rugby league. For a lot of reasons it has not happened for Shannon, but I have no doubt his story is far from complete.

And finally Anthony Laffranchi.

Boofa and I are good mates.

On or off the field Boofa is the same -- he won't let you down. And that is an invaluable attribute.

Well done, Boofa. I'll miss you.

And to all those leaving, goodbye and good luck.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

As the days go past I get more and more choked up. Soak this up Titans fans, this is history. And after Saturday it is up to us to make sure that these players are never forgotten. Im sure they never will be.

The class of 2007-2011 was such an extraordinary bunch.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Yeah, it's a bit weird that we are still such a young team and already next year will be the start of a new era. Thanks for the memories guys! Hope the retired players find their way back into football somehow and hopefully at the titans.