Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amaline View Post
    Spoke to Zillman today, said that Esi is out with a broken hand. Likely O'dwyer to centre, go into the game with a three man bench.
    Surely, we are not going into this game with just a three man bench. We couldn't be that silly. Can anybody shed some light on this as it just can't be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Dad View Post
    Surely, we are not going into this game with just a three man bench. We couldn't be that silly. Can anybody shed some light on this as it just can't be true.
    Thats never gonna happen , could be another Rookie getting a crack in the Top Grade
    #itaintweaktospeak

no ridge is on the bench

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Our problems in the centres continue. Hopefully it wont hobble us.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default Cartwright urges fans to give players fitting send-off

Cartwright urges fans to give players fitting send-off

Jetstar Gold Coast Titans Coach John Cartwright has urged fans to put the club?s disappointing year aside and turn out in force at Skilled Park tomorrow night to give foundation players Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi the send-off they deserve.

Despite an uncharacteristic season which sees the club playing to avoid the wooden spoon against Parramatta, Cartwright said foundation players Preston Campbell and Anthony Laffranchi had touched so many people in the Gold Coast community over the past five years, that tomorrow night was the last opportunity for fans to say thank you and goodbye.

?I really hope that people can put our performances behind us this year and base coming out here tomorrow on saying goodbye to a couple of champions of the club ? and not only the club but the Gold Coast community in general,?? said Cartwright.

?I don?t think there would be many families that could say that particularly Preston hasn?t touched someone within that family, whether it be at a school, a function or whether it be at a game or just walking along the street.

?He has that affect on people and everyone on the Gold Coast, if we could fit them in, should be here tomorrow to say goodbye to a champion.??

The match will mark the final matches in Titans colours for inaugural team members Campbell and Laffranchi as well as Clinton Toopi (retiring from NRL) and Will Matthews (Dragons).

Centre Esi Tonga (Parramatta) was also set to play his final match for the club but has been ruled out with a hand injury, with forward Ben Ridge coming into the 17-man squad to fill the void.

In what is set to be an emotion charged night, Cartwright said he had emphasised the importance to his side of not letting the raw emotion take control.

?It?s definitely been spoken about this week ? the emotion won?t do anything for us unless we turn up with our football heads on. We?ve got a plan to go out there to try and execute so if we can combine that with emotion, we?re going to be hard to beat,?? he said.

Murwillumbah junior Laffranchi said it was getting more emotional as the final week of training came to a close, particularly after receiving plenty of support from family, friends and the others involved with the club.

?I?ve had plenty of well wishes and plenty of people for asking for tickets as well, I think I?ve got about 40 tickets or something close to that,? he joked.

?It?s been tremendous not only friends but people linked with the club, sponsors and guys that have helped me out. I?d like to thank everyone, the fans for the support and the people behind the scenes who helped my stay here be a memorable one.??

Titans

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Game Day, see you all at the legion

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Game Day, see you all at the legion
    See you there mate. Ill have a giant flag made of 9 Titans flags.

Rugby league loves Presto

CRONULLA Sharks fans still thank John Lang.

Not so much for allowing Preston Campbell free rein in Penrith's march to the 2003 NRL title, but for keeping him in the game.

It was 2002 and Campbell had the world at his feet.

A Dally M Medal winner and the Cronulla Sharks halfback.

His side winning. He was happy.

But when Chris Anderson arrived from the Melbourne Storm with Brett Kimmorley in tow, Campbell's world came crashing down.

Within 12 months the boy from Tingha went from calling the plays in the NRL to warming the bench in reserve grade.

Left wondering where it all went wrong and with his world on the rocks, enter Lang.

Have your say on the feedback form below

First he helped Campbell smile again.

Then, with Campbell's days at the Sharks limited, Lang took him across to the Panthers where the playmaker enjoyed his grandest day to lift the title alongside another bloke Campbell credits for helping save his career, Scott Sattler.

"I had that many Sharks supporters say to me, 'thanks for saving Preston' ... I've never seen a player more loved than Preston was at the Sharks," said Lang.

"He is popular everywhere he goes but they adored him at the Sharks and there was never one negative about him leaving.

"And I think the Sharks fans were as happy as anybody when he won a premiership for himself at the Panthers.

"It was a really tough time and it was great that he got through it, more personally than football wise, but for us to then win a premiership at the same time was quite unbelievable."

Still regarding Lang and Sattler as his two closest allies, Campbell reflects on that period as the most turbulent, not just of his career, but his life.

He battled thoughts of suicide.

He began doubting himself and his bags were packed with a return to Tingha appearing certain.

"There were always doubts because as a person sometimes when people doubt you it's then you begin to doubt yourself," he said.

"Luckily I had good people around me and without them sort of guys (Lang and Sattler) I wouldn't have come back, I would have gone home probably.

"They're a big part of my life and my family's life and to be honest I would always be indebted to them."

Any lingering pain subsided when he got his hands on the NRL trophy.

And Lang even laughs that his greatest memories of Presto came when the 34-year-old found himself in the zone that has since bamboozled some of the competition's greatest competitors, leaving them grasping at air.

"The grand final was a great day and my best memory of Preston came when we scored the last try," Lang said.
    ''Ryan Girdler was off injured and Preston kicked it from the sideline ... he was in the zone, he was pumped ... it was a great day for a lot of us."

Sattler agreed, recalling the moments soaking up the euphoria of their win after the full-time hooter.

"I have a photo from the Chargers of Presto and I looking into the crowd after a game and I remember saying to him 'can you believe where we are now'," Sattler said.

"He endured some dark times.

"But to see Presto go on to have the career he has, to see how many lives he has touched and his impact on and off the field makes it such a pleasure to have enjoyed some of those times together."

Sharks diehards loved Andrew Ettingshausen, Broncos loyalists think the same of Darren Lockyer.

But Lang reckons just like his injured Rabbitohs skipper Luke Stuart, who also leaves the game this season, rugby league loves Presto.

It's why by kick-off tonight, no matter where the game is played, a big crowd will turn out to say goodbye to a champion.

"I think a lot will turn up, actually I know they will," Lang said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

Watch this Presto tribute video by the Gold Coast Bulletin - http://video.goldcoast.com.au/211478...mpbell-Tribute

Reverse grand final: Eels, Titans clash to avoid wooden spoon

ONE last time, Parramatta go searching for the 80-minute performance that has mostly deserted them this season. If they don't find it against Gold Coast at Skilled Park tonight, they risk finishing with the wooden spoon for the first time since 1972.

The Titans are so bad it is possible the Eels could get away with concentrating for less than 80 minutes and still beat them, but they are hardly in a position to take that risk. Regardless of all the close games Parramatta have had against much higher-placed opponents than Gold Coast in the last three months, the fact remains that the Eels are in last place - one point behind their opponents tonight.

It is the reverse grand final, the one that no one wants to talk about, but Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney and captain Nathan Hindmarsh had to yesterday as they fulfilled media commitments ahead of flying off to meet their destiny.

Advertisement: Story continues below ''We're trying to get that 80-minute performance,'' Kearney said. ''Not 60 minutes, or 67 minutes. That's been our primary focus this week, and we feel that if we can do that, with the commitment and attitude we've had over the most part of the last three months or so we will give ourselves a good chance.''

The Eels have taken losing the close games to a new level during that time. They have gone down 8-6 to Newcastle, 22-18 to Manly, 16-12 to Brisbane, 23-22 to Penrith, 8-7 to Canterbury, 22-18 to Melbourne and 13-12 to Sydney Roosters. Those three one-point losses all came in golden-point extra-time of games they led near the end of normal time. They were also pegged back in a 14-14 draw against St George Illawarra.

As Eels lock Reni Maitua said during the week: ''If we'd won two-thirds of the close games we'd be in the top eight.''

When the Eels lost the grand final to Melbourne in 2009, Hindmarsh was entitled to think his last few years would be spent punching away at getting another crack. But, instead, last year Parramatta missed the finals and this year they are locked in a desperate battle to avoid running last. Next year will be his last chance.

Hindmarsh has faced Groundhog Day at recent post-match media conferences following narrow losses, when he has had to repeatedly answer the same questions about how disappointing it would be to finish with the wooden spoon. Centre Justin Horo attended in his place after the loss to the Roosters last week. At least now the equation has become simple - the loser runs last.

''It's do-or-die for both teams,'' Hindmarsh said. ''We've trained well all week, and we're really committed to the last game of the year. There's no point in holding anything back. This is it for us - we've got to put everything into it. It would be great to finish the year on a win. We haven't had the best year. We haven't been too far off, but at the end of the day we're playing for the wooden spoon. It's an important game for us.''

Even allowing for the fact they are ahead of Parramatta on the competition table, the Titans look more like they can't wait for the season to end. They were awful in losing 39-10 on the road against Wests Tigers on Monday night at Campbelltown, and have a short turnaround going into this game.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 03-09-11 at 11:43 AM.

Fretful Hindmarsh has no taste for spoonful of gloom

NATHAN Hindmarsh knew things were bad when his six-year- old son and diehard Parramatta supporter Archie gave it to him straight following yet another heartbreaking loss for the Eels.

This time it was against the Sydney Roosters in golden point extra time last Friday night, a game they needed to win to pinch a little bit of breathing space to avoid the wooden spoon.

"He said, 'Nope, I can't do it any more. I'm going for Manly'," Hindmarsh told The Weekend Australian ahead of the battle to avoid last place with the Gold Coast tonight.

"He gets very upset after a loss. He takes it harder than his old man does."

That's hard to believe when you consider Hindmarsh's reaction following the Eels' loss to Wests Tigers a few weeks ago.

The result confined the club to last place in the competition and The Weekend Australian was foolhardy enough to ask the veteran backrower how he felt about the prospect of finishing with the wooden spoon -- the club's first since 1972. Cue a series of death stares and growling answers.

"I thought it was a bit of a silly question, mate, and it probably wasn't the best time to get me after another loss," a more congenial Hindmarsh said. "I suppose the question had to be asked and I suppose it's been in the back of my mind for a while."

Hindmarsh can't remember which moment of the season it was that thoughts of the wooden spoon started entering his head but it would be fair to say that they came after Parramatta's season began to fade at the end of May.

To put into perspective just how tough it has been for the club and its supporters -- including Archie -- the Eels have lost seven games by six points or less since round 12.

They have been on the wrong end of a golden point game three times. If those seven losses had all been wins, the Eels would already be in the top eight and looking forward to finals football. Not that Hindmarsh is looking for excuses. "The hard thing is we've been in a position to win those games," Hindmarsh said. "It's not as if it's been 20-all with 20 minutes to go and they've kicked a field goal. We've been up 18-0 with 15 minutes to go, up by four with two minutes to go and stuff like that.

"That's been the difficult thing -- to know if we had played just that little bit longer we could have won games that may have seen us in semi-finals."

For Hindmarsh it is the bitterest of pills to swallow. He has been a one-club man -- he celebrated his 300th first grade game for the Eels this season -- and has enjoyed plenty of his highs during his career, including two grand final appearances.

Even his lows haven't been too bad. The worst the club has finished during Hindmarsh's time at the Eels was 12th in 2004 and 2010. ""If (coming last) does happen -- and we're hoping it's not going to happen -- it's going to be disappointing for such a proud club," Hindmarsh said . "You'll look and say 'Where did the Eels finish in 2011?' and it may say wooden spoon and that's there forever.

"If we were getting smashed like we did against Souths every week I'd say fair enough.

"But then again at the end of the day you've got to win games to get those two points and keep yourself away from all that."

Hindmarsh refuses to lay the blame at the feet of anyone. Not their best player, Jarryd Hayne, who has been tried at both fullback and five-eighth to stop the rot. Not Daniel Mortimer, who has spent most of the season playing for Wentworthville. And not new coach Stephen Kearney, who has done his best to put his own stamp on the team.

According to the former Test forward, it has just been one of those seasons.

"Obviously it's been something that we've been trying to address but it hasn't quite worked for us," Hindmarsh said. "We haven't hung our heads or anything like that. We've been going out and training really hard and practising things and being really competitive but it's just been an unfortunate season."

It's why Hindmarsh rates tonight's match against the Titans at Skilled Park as one of the most important of his career given the loser is likely to walk away with the wooden spoon. Canberra remains an outside chance mathematically. This from a player who has contested grand finals, worn the Blues jumper for NSW and the green and gold for his country.

He knows it will mean just as much to the Titans who want to send Preston Campbell out a winner in his farewell match.

"There's a massive difference between running last and second last," Hindmarsh said.

"I know we shouldn't talk too much about the spoon thing but we're faced with that situation on Saturday night.

"All we can do is play our best footy and hopefully that's good enough for a win."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/

Preview: Titans v Eels

The disappointment of a season gone wrong will take on a depressing new complexion for the loser of Saturday night's clash at Skilled Park, who will be left carrying the 2011 wooden spoon.

It would be a first for the Titans but for Gold Coast fans with long memories, a throwback to the bad old days when the Gold Coast Seagulls collected the competition's booby prize in 1991-92-93. Parramatta followers have not experienced the humiliation of finishing last since 1972.

Both of these clubs have suffered incredible falls from grace in a short period. This time last year the Titans were preparing for their second successive finals series and they eventually made it all the way to a grand final qualifier against the Sydney Roosters.

The Eels, meanwhile, were the boom team of 2009, making their sensational charge all the way to the grand final where they went down valiantly to Melbourne.

But this year it has all gone wrong for the Titans and the Eels and victories for both teams have been few and far between.

Look for a Titans try as First Scoring Play and take the home side at the 1-12 margin.

Best chances for First Tryscorer are David Mead, William Zillman and Steve Michaels for the Titans or Luke Burt, Justin Horo or Jarryd Hayne for Parramatta.

Gold Coast v Parramatta
    Skilled Park
    Saturday night 7.30pm

Gold Coast Titans
    1 Jordan Rankin, 2 Steve Michaels, 3 Esi Tonga, 4 Clinton Toopi, 5 David Mead , 6 William Zillman, 7 Preston Campbell [c], 8 Luke Bailey, 9 Matt Srama, 10 Matthew White, 11 Anthony Laffranchi, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Greg Bird. Subs: 14 Brenton Lawrence, 15 Will Matthews , 16 Bodene Thompson, 17 Luke O'Dwyer.

Parramatta Eels
    1 Luke Burt, 2 Ryan Morgan, 3 Justin Horo, 4 Ben Smith, 5 Chris Hicks, 6 Jarryd Hayne, 7 Casey McGuire, 8 Tim Mannah, 9 Matt Keating, 10 Fuifui Moimoi, 11 Nathan Hindmarsh [c], 12 Taniela Lasalo, 13 Reni Maitua. Subs: 15 Shane Shackleton, 16 Mitchell Allgood, 17 Pat O'Hanlon, 20 Justin Poore.

Prediction - Matthew O'Neill: Eels by 12

OVERALL:
    Total Games: 21
    Gold Coast Titans wins: 10. [Pts: 378]
    Parramatta Eels wins: 11. [Pts: 435]
    Draws: 0

Biggest wins:
    Gold Coast Titans: 26 pts: 2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun: Gold Coast Titans 38 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 18021]
    Parramatta Eels: 40 pts: 1990 J J Giltinan Shield and Winfield Cup - Round 15 - [View] Sun Jul 8: Eels 40 d. Gold Coast 0 [Crowd: 12303]

Biggest Crowd: 2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Finals Week 2 - [View] Fri: Parramatta Eels 27 d. Gold Coast Titans 2 [Crowd: 28524]

Last 50 games against each other form line (most recent matches at end of line):
    Gold Coast Titans: WLLWLWLLWWWLLLLWWWLWL
    Parramatta Eels: LWWLWLWWLLLWWWWLLLWLW

Last 10 games:
    2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun: Parramatta Eels 22 d. Gold Coast Titans 18 [Crowd: 10052]
    2010 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Gold Coast Titans 34 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 19568]
    2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Finals Week 2 - [View] Fri: Parramatta Eels 27 d. Gold Coast Titans 2 [Crowd: 28524]
    2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 18 - [View] Mon: Gold Coast Titans 18 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 14009]
    2008 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 5 - [View] Fri: Parramatta Eels 20 l. Gold Coast Titans 28 [Crowd: 13321]
    2007 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 7 - [View] Sun: Gold Coast Titans 38 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 18021]
    1998 National Rugby League - Round 8 - [View] Sat May 2: Eels 24 d. Gold Coast 2 [Crowd: 6063]
    1998 National Rugby League - Round 2 - [View] Sat Mar 21: Gold Coast 12 l. Eels 14 [Crowd: 9734]
    1997 Optus Cup - Round 19 - [View] Sat Aug 9: Gold Coast 8 l. Eels 18 [Crowd: 13182]
    1997 Optus Cup - Round 8 - [View] Sat Apr 26: Eels 28 d. Gold Coast 10 [Crowd: 10093]

Overall record at Skilled Park, Robina, Gold Coast (QLD) Stats:
    Gold Coast Titans: 49 games, won 30, drawn 0, lost 19.
    Last 5 games:
    2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 24 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 26 d. Canberra Raiders 18
    2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 23 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 16 l. Melbourne Storm 40
    2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 20 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 20 l. North Queensland Cowboys 28
    2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 16 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 12 l. Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 36
    2011 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 13 - [View] Sat: Gold Coast Titans 10 l. Penrith Panthers 23

Parramatta Eels: 2 games, won 0, drawn 0, lost 2.
    Last 5 games:
    2010 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Gold Coast Titans 34 d. Parramatta Eels 12
    2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 18 - [View] Mon: Gold Coast Titans 18 d. Parramatta Eels 12

Head to Head at Skilled Park, Robina, Gold Coast (QLD) Stats:
    Total Games: 2
    Gold Coast Titans wins: 2. [Pts: 52]
    Parramatta Eels wins: 0. [Pts: 24]
    Draws: 0

Last 2 games:
    2010 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 22 - [View] Fri: Gold Coast Titans 34 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 19568]
    2009 NRL Telstra Premiership - Round 18 - [View] Mon: Gold Coast Titans 18 d. Parramatta Eels 12 [Crowd: 14009]

http://www.rleague.com/c

Eels' Nathan Hindmarsh, Tim Mannah face nude Monday

EELS captain Nathan Hindmarsh and prop Tim Mannah should be desperate to score their first try of 2011 against Gold Coast on Saturday or suffer an embarrassing fate.

The two Eels stars are among those facing the dreaded ``nudie run’‘, for players who didn’t manage a try during the competition, when Parramatta players hold their ``Mad Monday’’ celebrations next week.

Forward Reni Maitua told The Advertiser the team would honour the long-held rugby league tradition on Monday morning.

``Most of the beginning of Mad Monday will be inhouse because there’s a few players who haven’t scored a try this year. That involves a bit of male nudity, which is a bit weird. It’s a bit of a tradition in rugby league,’’ he said.

``It wouldn’t be such a weird thing for an old Parramatta player to run through the streets nude, back in the day, but times have changed. We’ll have to get those formalities done behind closed doors early on Monday.’‘

Back-rower Pat O’Hanlon, although a youngster at 20, has not been spared from the ritual and is another in the frame.

Maitua would not reveal the venues for Monday’s activities but said there would be fancy dress and then the team would ``drown our sorrows’‘.

Source: Parramatta Eels

Emotions high for Titans

Emotions are running high on the Gold Coast as the Titans plan to farewell a host of players leaving the club with a win over Parramatta in Saturday night's bottom-of-the-table clash at Skilled Park.

The tourist strip club will avoid the wooden spoon if they can knock off the Eels but they have far more motivation heading into the match aside from their desire to dodge the dreaded booby prize.

Clinton Toopi (retirement), Riley Brown (Newcastle local league), Luke Capewell (Broncos), Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Will Matthews (Dragons), Preston Campbell (retirement), Esi Tonga (Parramatta), Nathan Friend (NZ Warriors), Brad Meyers (retirement), Mat Rogers (retirement), Shannon Walker (rugby sevens) and Joe Tomane (ACT Brumbies) have all either left the club or will do so at the end of the season.

It's the biggest player exodus in the Titans' short history and Laffranchi said the realisation that the current group would never be together again was starting to sink in.

"As the week's winding down with this, the last session, it's starting to get a little emotional," he said.

"Saturday night will be a great occasion and one I'll cherish."

Laffranchi was the Titans' fourth ever signing after jumping ship from the Tigers in 2007 and over the course of his five-year spell at Robina, it proved to be an inspired move.

It was at the Titans where Laffranchi, who grew up in Murwillumbah, just 13km south of the Queensland border, earned his first ever State of Origin and Test jumpers.

"I've played my best footy here," he said.

"I'm happy outside of rugby league here, and that plays a big part in your performance."

"I'm definitely settled here on the Coast, with family and friends here. It's great to have your support network behind you."

"Being an inaugural member (of the squad), our fourth signing... just seeing the club build itself from the ground up has been the most proud part."

Murwillumbah junior Laffranchi said although they will be spurred on by the forthcoming player departures, him and his team-mates cannot avoid the spectre of the spoon.

"It's there in our face," he said.

"But purely, there's going to be a lot of emotion on Saturday night."

"You just want to finish the year on a high and it just comes into account that we are playing for the wooden spoon."

"That's something I haven't had in my career and I'll be doing everything possible on Saturday night (to avoid it)."

http://www.sportal.com.au/

Davey reports that the latest PAX number for todays game is 23765.

I'd encourage as many people to get tickets or walk up as possible.

Let's get a massive crowd.