Default Brisbane Broncos do battle with the Gold Coast Titans to secure Josh Hoffman's signat

Brisbane Broncos do battle with the Gold Coast Titans to secure Josh Hoffman's signature

THE Broncos have started negotiations with Josh Hoffman as the club moves to keep the fullback sensation away from the clutches of Queensland rivals, the Gold Coast Titans.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned Hoffman is in the sights of the Gold Coast, with coach John Cartwright contacting the Kiwi Test hopeful's management in recent weeks to inquire about his contract status.

Hoffman has been in red-hot form and would be the perfect target for the Titans, whose fullback stocks have taken a hit following Luke Capewell's signing with the Broncos and Preston Campbell's impending retirement.

But ahead of Hoffman's duel with Souths try-scoring machine Nathan Merritt today at Suncorp Stadium, Broncos hierarchy insist their fullback ace is going nowhere and will finalise an upgraded deal after the finals series.

Currently contracted until the end of next season, Hoffman is likely to receive a minimum extension of two years, keeping him at the Broncos until the end of 2014.

Broncos operations chief Andrew Gee said the club could not be happier with Hoffman, who has been a revelation filling the fullback void left by Karmichael Hunt's defection to AFL and the Gold Coast Suns.

"I've had some talks with Josh's manager and we'll have something sorted out when the season is over," Gee said. "At the moment, we've put things on hold. We just want Josh to focus on the finals, but he's got a big future at this club and we want to keep him here."

It is the second time the Broncos have faced competition for Hoffman's services.

Last year, the Roosters and North Queensland expressed interest in Hunt's successor before the 23-year-old signed a two-year deal to remain at Red Hill.

Hoffman has returned to his tackle-busting best after a wretched start to the season, when he missed 10 rounds after breaking his leg in a round-three clash against the Titans.

During his time on the sidelines, Hoffman watched New Zealand compatriot Gerard Beale star in the No. 1 jersey and admits he feared he would not get his spot back in the Broncos starting side.

"Me and Gerard are good mates, but it was tough sitting on the sidelines and watching him go so well," said Hoffman, who scored the first hat-trick of his NRL career against the North Queensland Cowboys three weeks ago.

"I was happy for him but I did wonder there for a while if 'Hook' (Broncos coach Anthony Griffin) would put me back in.

"I thought my chances were slim to be honest.

"I was shattered when the doctor told me I had a broken leg.

"It has been a tough year but it has only made me stronger and I'm really enjoying my football now."

Hoffman's New Zealand-born father Shane said he hoped his son would remain at the Broncos.

"The club has been great for him, obviously it's his choice but I'd love to see him stay," Hoffman senior said.

"He basically came down off his own bat to play for Redcliffe and that's where he met Anthony Griffin.

"Anthony has been tremendous for Josh.

"He has shown a lot of faith in him and I think the club is now reaping the rewards."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Doesn't do much for me.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

good fullback, his just a young kid who has talent, like gordon or mead...
    dnt know whats wrong with zillman...
    when we have both mead n gordon on the wings to excite i dnt mind having a safe fullback

Im happy with Rankin but Hoffman would be a great signing. He'll play for the Kiwis this Four Nations, maybe even as fullback if he can beat out Locke.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

would be good but i swear is Cartwrite pushing Zilly out of the Team slowly???
    Fullback. Rankin, Hoffman
    Centres. Champion, Idris
    Halves. Sezer, Henry.

I just cant see him being in the top squad at the rate....

Wow, Hoffman would be an awesome signing if they could steal him from that team just up yonder.

I believe it is a fair trade...they get Capewell we get Hoffman...Yep I like that as a trade!

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    I believe it is a fair trade...they get Capewell we get Hoffman...Yep I like that as a trade!

They might need to throw a little cash our way to sweeten the deal

As much as I'd love to see him at the Titans, I can't see him leaving the Broncos.

could he replace prestons job ?

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Wouldn't mind seeing him at the Titans, but "fullback stocks have taken a hit", I beg to differ...