Default Cowboys push for new stadium

New Stadium

BOLD AMBITIONS: Concept plans for a football stadium in Townsville's city heart have been delivered to State Government

A CONCEPT plan for Townsville's new inner-city $185 million sporting stadium has been revealed for the first time.

The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys have launched a bold bid to construct a football stadium in the city heart to replace the dilapidated Dairy Farmers Stadium.

The concept plan identifies a 17.28ha parcel of land bounded by Saunders St, and currently owned by QR National, as the ideal site for a new international standard stadium.

The 30,000 seat stadium would include 100 open-air corporate boxes and 25 enclosed corporate suites.

Two 450-seat function rooms and 24 permanent food and beverage outlets are included in the plan.

The ground would also include two 60 sqm video replay screens, four radio broadcast booths, two television commentary booths, a TV presentation suite and a press conference room and media lounge.

The concept plan, which has been delivered to the State Government, indicates it would cost $185 million to bring Dairy Farmers Stadium up to standard.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

This would be fantastic, the Cowboys and their fans deserve this. I doubt the state government will cough up though.

New stadiums and redevelopments are the way forward for Rugby League, we are lightyears behind AFL.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Is it just me or does that look identical to skilled park??

Quote Originally Posted by The Lonely Turtle View Post
    Is it just me or does that look identical to skilled park??
    It may have just been the newspaper being lazy but it IS Skilled Park with 5 mins photoshopping. It is even in Titans club colours.

I hope they didnt submit these pictures to the State Gov.

We tried to get a stadium from the State Government for 5 years. The State Government eventually told us to get stuffed so we used a Federal Government grant to build a single stand. Then the State Government wouldn't build our hospital. Now Rockhampton and possibly Townsville are getting promised stadiums. The joys of living in an area that is Liberal heartland. Goes to show that you'll only get something from the government if you are a marginal seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers View Post
    Goes to show that you'll only get something from the government if you are a marginal seat.
    Doesnt make sense does it. What ever happened to merit?

Good luck to them I hope they achieve their dream...heck I might go to Townsville to see the Titans beat the Cowboys in their new stadium!

I though it was Skilled Park when I first saw the picture.

The stadium would be fantastic for Townsville but I really can't see it happening for a long time. The railway yards would need to be relocated at a very large cost.

There is also a commitment form the Federal Gov't & Council for a new Convention Centre across the road but they are waiting for the State Gov't to cough up a third of the cost. The Reed Park race track (V8 Supercars) is across the road. It would make it a fantastic sporting precinct.

The problem up there is that Dairy Farmers Stadium is very old and dated. It's too far out of town and it's right in the middle of a residential estate. I got a real shock at the poor state of the facilities when I went to a game up there a couple of months ago. I guess I've been spoilt for too long at Skilled Park & Suncorp Stadium.

The proposed stadium is across the creek from the train station and there is talk that trains could be run to outer towns, north to Cairns and down to Mackay for events.

I wish it would happen, but as I said, I think it's a long way off.