Default Dolphins NRL Bid

Redcliffe Dolphins emerge as new player in rugby league expansion plans
    Steve Ricketts

THE Redcliffe Dolphins have emerged as the bold new player in rugby league's expansion battle.

The Dolphins bring a substance to the fight that none of the other contenders can match, given their history, successful licensed club and strong junior league.

While the Brisbane Bombers, Central Queensland, Western Corridor and Perth bid teams have made plenty of noise, the Dolphins have been going about trying to win another state league title.

At the same time the Redcliffe boys have been looking at the big picture, and it is not the first time they have moved in that direction.

"Playing at the elite level has been on our agenda for quite a few years," new president Bob Jones said.

"We have always wanted to play at the highest level and to be successful.

"The highest level for us used to be the Brisbane competition - now it's the NRL.

"Our board knows that the cost of establishing and running an NRL concern now stands at about $16 million a season. However we would be prepared to grab the ball and run with it if a serious chance presents itself.

"Whether that means we would share costs with a private consortium or host a relocated club from Sydney is up in the air, but we would not rule out the possibility."

Jones said a Dolphins side in the NRL would play at Suncorp Stadium initially but a major stadium near the northern rail line is believed to be in the pipeline.

"We are not getting ahead of ourselves though and will not spend any more funds until we find out if the NRL is serious about adding another side, and, if so, whether they want a team in Queensland's southeast corner," he said.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has indicated 2015 would be the earliest year for expansion.

Jones doubts whether league can handle two new teams, hence the Dolphins' decision not to rule out being part of a relocation exercise.

"I think there are enough teams now," Jones said. "I think we have spread the talent too thinly.

"A few years ago it was harder to get a spot in the NRL than it is now."

Jones said league needed to do more at the grassroots level.

He said: "There are schools in our area we can't get in for coaching or development because the principals have been sold on the AFL model.

"Some of the bid teams have been trotting out the Gold Coast Titans' line of engaging the community.

"Propagating the game at the grassroots level is part of of our charter."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

A team representing North Brisbane isn't urgent, to frame it suitably. I believe they need to represent Pine Rivers, Caboolture, Redcliffe and the Sunshine Coast.

The idea of a relocated Sydney team makes me sick. That would and should only work by moving it to a new region to Rugby League. THAT is the AFL model.

We are desperate for a West/South Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan side.

That is the most urgent claim in QLD.

Well done for the Dolphins for being proactive though.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 28-08-11 at 09:25 AM.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Personally I would love to see the Dolphins earn an NRL spot over the Bombers and Ipswich. Redcliffe are arguably the biggest and most recognisable cub in the QRL and could represent an area as far north as Hervey Bay. As long as the Bombers don't get in though I am happy.

But it isn't as big a grow area as the western corridor and I think AFL will heavily target it.

I think the Dolphins brand is strong and they'd be in my ideal NRL.

BNE, BNE2, GC, DOLPHINS, NQ and maybe even CQLD.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    But it isn't as big a grow area as the western corridor and I think AFL will heavily target it.

I think the Dolphins brand is strong and they'd be in my ideal NRL.

BNE, BNE2, GC, DOLPHINS, NQ and maybe even CQLD.
    True. Ideally those teams in the NRL would be perfect but while Sydney have so many teams I don't see it happening, and I don't see too many teams being told their time is up after what happened to Souths.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    But it isn't as big a grow area as the western corridor
    The Sunshine Coast is one of the country?s fastest growing areas...surely the Dolphins would be looking to include there.

I think a team based in the North Lakes area with a stadium on the new train line (assuming it does happen) would be a great idea. It's a nice easy highway drive from the Sunshine Coast plus rail access.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    The Sunshine Coast is one of the country?s fastest growing areas...surely the Dolphins would be looking to include there.
    Well imo I don't think we'd be able to handle a full RL club up here within the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastTitanFan View Post
    Well imo I don't think we'd be able to handle a full RL club up here within the near future.
    Not at the moment. Our population doesn't quite compare to that of the Gold Coast but we are growing rapidly. It doesn't help that we have a council more concerned with making profits and saving trees than actually serving their ratepayers.

It would be nice if we were in a position in 10 years time to have an NRL club based here, but until we can get everything else sorted out (hospital, rail line, buses, stadium, etc) we don't have a hope in hell. Our best bet at this stage is to share a team with the Northern Suburbs and Redcliffe.

Dolphins are pushing into North Lakes. So are Norths Devils, a bit of a turf war. Good for Rugby League, I hope.

Dolphins are keeping quiet on the NRL front.