Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Will come and join the Legion this saturday, first time sitting there.

Its great to see bails with the captaincy.

I think the rest of the nrl underrates how effective and lion hearted he still is.

And with the captaincy, he might finally decide to take one of his quick taps he always threatens with before princey stops him.

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    Will come and join the Legion this saturday, first time sitting there.
    Great to hear mate, will introduce you to the crew.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Default Titans v Raiders preview

NRL.com Wed, Aug 17, 2011 - 1:00 PM

Titans v Raiders
    Skilled Park
    Saturday 5.30pm

Twelve months ago this would have been viewed as a crucial semi-finals warm-up but as the 2011 season winds down these combatants find themselves with little to play for other than avoiding the dreaded wooden spoon.

The Titans showed some early grit against the Storm last week before the title favourites slipped up a gear and bolted away 40-16 winners. The loss leaves John Cartwright?s side rooted to the bottom of the NRL ladder ? but they?re only one competition point adrift of the under-achieving Eels and one victory off the 14th-placed Raiders.

This game looms as stage one in their three-week assignment to avoid last place. Even if they were to win they would not leapfrog (well, it?s unlikely) the Raiders, who have a superior points differential (-177 to -225). They need to win by 49 points to overtake Canberra.

The only other way they can climb the ladder this week is if they win by even the smallest margin and the Eels get rolled by the Wests Tigers on Monday night.

Meanwhile the Raiders played in fits and starts in their 47-18 loss to the Rabbitohs at home. In fairness Souths are red hot right now but some of the Raiders? defence was simply schoolboys? stuff and if they don?t stiffen up this week they are a real chance of being left in the mix for the spoon, given they face the Panthers and Bulldogs in their final two games.
    Canberra are averaging their fewest points away from home (just 16.4 per game) since their 2007 season when they finished the season third from the bottom of the table. And if they concede 40 points again this week they will establish an unwanted record ? they?ve never leaked that many points in three successive games.

It?s a milestone game for back-rower Bronson Harrison who makes his 150th NRL appearance.

Meanwhile the Titans close out the season with games against the Wests Tigers and Eels ? the latter in all likelihood a showdown for the wooden spoon. But first they have to get past the Raiders?

In team changes Anthony Laffranchi, a late withdrawal for the Titans last week, returns in the second row with Greg Bird shifting to lock and Luke O?Dwyer benched.

Meanwhile a groin injury has sidelined Raiders? fullback Josh Dugan; he?s been replaced in the No. 1 jersey by David Milne. Joe Picker joins younger brother Mick on the bench, with Josh Miller missing out.

Watch Out Titans: Winger Blake Ferguson (207 metres last week) will be a danger down the right edge. Ferguson bagged his 13th try for the year against the bunnies ? setting a club record for most by a first-season player ? and the Titans have shown they are vulnerable to his flair and speed, leaking an NRL-high 41 tries down their left side.

Given their problems reading defences John Cartwright would have schooled his side on the decoy runs of Raiders lock Shaun Fensom, who leads the league for metres made off the ball, running 122 confusing decoys.

Danger Sign: If the Titans don?t improve their completions from last week (just 65 per cent) and gift the Raiders good field position they?ll find it hard to pressure their opponent. They need to get through their sets, pump the ball deep and throw the onus back on the Raiders to claw back the territory.

Watch Out Raiders: David Mead is the go-to man for the home side, whether it?s through the hands or in the air. Mead scored his 13th try of the season last week fielding a Matt Srama cross-field chip and given the Raiders have defused just 55 per cent of all cross-field kicks it?s safe to assume they?ll try their luck again here.

The Titans may also look to gain a result from a short kick either wide or into no-man?s land between the Raiders? defensive line and fullback David Milne ? the Raiders have safely handled just 50 per cent of these kicks.

The Raiders need to cover for their fullback when he?s forced into making tackles. John Sutton exploited this to perfection last week when he noticed Josh Dugan up at marker and no-one at home at fullback midway through a tackle count 40 metres out. He chip-kicked ahead and Nathan Merritt won the race for the ball to score this third try of the afternoon.

Luke Bailey and Greg Bird will look to make charges on an angle from close range after Ben Ross found joy this way last week.

Bird and right-side centre Dominique Peyroux will target Jarrod Croker, who missed six tackles last week. Croker has missed 58 all year, the most by any centre.

Danger Sign: Bird has great deception skills for a forward and likes to change the point of the attack when the opposition defence gets in his face. He does this with urgency and pace, which can catch out defenders back on the other side of the field. He executed this to perfection against the Storm last week when making a long, stepping run from the right side of the field back across to the left, linking with William Zillman who scored. If the Raiders go to sleep when the ball drifts away from them, Bird can create nightmares.

Plays To Watch: William Zillman looking to get around Joel Thompson; Preston Campbell showing sprite in the No.7; Titans? forwards running angles close to the Raiders? try line; Greg Bird?s ball-playing on the edges; Blake Ferguson?s pace; David Shillington hitting it up hard (last week he made 15 runs for 121 metres); plenty of tackle-busts from the Raiders? backs ? they combined for a phenomenal 33 last week.

Where It Will Be Won: Desire to avoid the spoon will be evident in how each side applies themselves in defence. These are the two worst defensive units in 2011 ? and there?s not a struck match between them. The Raiders rank rock bottom for points and tries scored against them yielding 25.7 and 4.4 respectively. The Titans have conceded 25.8 points a game and 4.5 tries each 80 minutes.

Their dismal defences aren?t just due to missed tackles but also poor judgment and defensive structure. That?s shown by their difficulty in stopping opposition busts ? the Raiders have conceded the most line-breaks all year (5.1), with the Titans breathing down their neck (five).

Whichever team muscles up from the outset ? and most importantly maintains application and structure ? will lay the foundations for victory.

The History: Played 9; Titans 5, Raiders 4. Results have run in sequence since these teams first met in 2007, when the Titans were victorious. The Titans won 23-22 in golden point in Canberra in Round 4 ? does that mean the Raiders are due? Countering that, the Titans hold a 3-0 advantage on the Gold Coast.

Conclusion: Neither side wants to end 2011 with the wooden spoon so there will be no excuses should one team not turn up ready to go.

Defence is the key ? both teams? attacks have struggled to score points this year (Raiders average three tries scored, Titans 2.7) so they?ll happily take any advantage a poor defensive unit might present them. The Titans missed 46 tackles last week, the Raiders 44. Whichever side can lower that number to high 20s, or even low 30s, will prevail.

We?re in the Titans? camp for this one ? especially given Josh Dugan?s absence. There?s too much pride at stake. The Gold Coast by eight points.

Match Officials: Referees ? Tony De Las Heras & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Jason Walsh & Peter Gough; Video Ref ? Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

It would be nice to crack 30 points, hopefully we have a chance to do that on Saturday night, it's been over a year since our last time when we beat the Cowboys 37-18. I reckon if we win, it'll be by 20 . The Raiders defence is soft, and plus no Dugan, our forwards just really need to muscle up and we should aim for a shutout I reckon.

'I've given everything I can'

Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue says his aching body made the final call to end his illustrious 12-year career despite having a season to run on his contract.

The 30-year-old announced his retirement at Canberra Stadium today flanked by wife Katie, daughters Becky, 5 and Heidi, 3, and four-month-old son Gem.

Tongue is the sixth-most capped Raiders player in the club?s history, and will make his 218th appearance in Saturday night?s match with the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park.

Renowned as a workaholic tackling machine, the one-club stalwart said a shoulder injury sustained in the round-one win against Cronulla had been the catalyst for his decision.

??I know it?s time to finish my playing career,?? Tongue said.

??Over the past few seasons I?ve sustained some injuries that have been difficult to fully overcome.

??I know that if I continue to force myself to play with these that it?ll be painful in the short-term by letting my team-mates down, but more importantly in the long-term by impacting my life after footy.

??For me, my family has always come first, and this has been a huge factor in my decision and I?m ready to move on to the next part of my life.??

Tongue said he had decided to retire ??a couple of weeks ago??, but only informed the playing group this morning.

??I must admit it was probably harder than being here,?? Tongue said.

??It was something I had to get myself up for.

??It is difficult, but I think they understand and know where they?re coming from and appreciate that.??

Raiders coach David Furner paid tribute to Tongue?s longevity and service to the Raiders.

??Playing alongside Alan some many years ago it was easy for me to see he was going to become a special person and a special player,?? Furner said.

??We?ve got three games remaining that are going to be pretty special.??

Tongue said he had been in discussions with the Raiders about a possible off-field role next year, but that nothing was confirmed yet.

Tongue debuted for the Raiders in 2000, and took over the captaincy in 2007.

He was largely overlooked for representative honours during his career, with his sole appearance coming for NSW Country in 2009.

??I?ve always would?ve loved to tested myself in that arena,?? Tongue said.

??It?s when the special players rise to the occasion, and that would?ve been great.

??But it didn?t work out for me.

??When I look back on what I?ve achieved in the game, it puts a big smile on my face.??

Alan Tongue

Date of Birth: 13/10/1980

Birthplace: Tamworth, NSW

Junior Club: Farrer Agricultural

Position: Lock

Height: 180cm

Weight: 87kg

Debut: v Brisbane, ANZ Stadium, 17/3/2000 (Rd 7)

Rep Honours: Prime Ministers XIII (2008), Country Origin (2009)

Matches: 217

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Sad to see Tongue retire like this. He has been one of the unsung heroes in Rugby League and never got the widespread acclaim he truly deserved. He retires pretty young as well at 30.

I just hope he isn't lost to the game and the Canberra Raiders.

Everyone on NRL on FOX has tipped the Raiders to defeat the Titans.

Titans clash a family affair for Picker brothers

Joe and Mick Picker will become the first brothers in almost eight years to represent the Canberra Raiders alongside each other this weekend.
    Not since Joel and Michael Monaghan were part of the Raiders' one-point loss to the New Zealand Warriors in week two of the 2003 semi-finals have brothers played an NRL match together for Canberra.

Raiders coach David Furner yesterday named both Pickers on the interchange bench for Saturday's Gold Coast clash.

Joe returns to the side for the injured Josh Miller, who will miss the rest of the season with a collarbone injury.

Furner was forced into more changes through injury, naming David Milne at fullback after scans revealed a small tear to Josh Dugan's adductor muscle, which will put him out for at least a week.

In a quirky twist of fate last weekend, Mick made his NRL debut at the expense of his older brother, who was relegated to 18th man.

Joe said he'd always dreamed of playing alongside his younger brother.

''It's pretty special I suppose, brothers playing first grade. We've always played footy in the backyard,'' Picker said. ''Hopefully we can get out there and get a better result for Mick this week.

''I was pretty proud of the way he played [on debut].

''There was no worries with his defence in the middle.

''He got out of dummy-half a couple of times and made a few metres.

''I've seen him do stuff like that our whole life, it was no real big shock to me, I knew he'd handle it.''

The Picker brothers moved to the capital before the 2006 season after Joe finished high school. Mick did Year 11 and 12 in Canberra.

Last year the pair were joined in their McKellar home by younger brother Ben, who has been playing with Canberra's under-20s this season. Joe has established himself as a regular first-grader in that time, but Mick has struggled to gain a foothold in Furner's NRL plans.

He was a key member of the Raiders under-20s premiership side in 2008 but has spent most of his time since playing in the Queensland Cup. Last month he joined the Goulburn Bulldogs as one of nine fringe Raiders players injected into the local competition.

Milne was also part of that distribution and will join Picker on Saturday as the second player in two weeks Furner has plucked from the Canberra Raiders Cup.

''We talk about a different standard but they're still getting the basics of football and it does endorse that competition there as a very good competition,'' Furner said.

''With Dave Milne and Mick Picker going straight from the local competition to first grade, it's good, it'll lift the local competition as well.''

Furner yesterday named Jarrad Kennedy, who has spent the past six weeks with the Gungahlin Bulls, at 18th man.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au

Titans v Raiders
    Skilled Park Saturday 5.30pm

Twelve months ago this would have been viewed as a crucial semi-finals warm-up but as the 2011 season winds down these combatants find themselves with little to play for other than avoiding the dreaded wooden spoon.

The Titans showed some early grit against the Storm last week before the title favourites slipped up a gear and bolted away 40-16 winners. The loss leaves John Cartwright?s side rooted to the bottom of the NRL ladder ? but they?re only one competition point adrift of the under-achieving Eels and one victory off the 14th-placed Raiders.

This game looms as stage one in their three-week assignment to avoid last place. Even if they were to win they would not leapfrog (well, it?s unlikely) the Raiders, who have a superior points differential (-177 to -225). They need to win by 49 points to overtake Canberra.

The only other way they can climb the ladder this week is if they win by even the smallest margin and the Eels get rolled by the Wests Tigers on Monday night.

Meanwhile the Raiders played in fits and starts in their 47-18 loss to the Rabbitohs at home. In fairness Souths are red hot right now but some of the Raiders? defence was simply schoolboys? stuff and if they don?t stiffen up this week they are a real chance of being left in the mix for the spoon, given they face the Panthers and Bulldogs in their final two games.
    Canberra are averaging their fewest points away from home (just 16.4 per game) since their 2007 season when they finished the season third from the bottom of the table. And if they concede 40 points again this week they will establish an unwanted record ? they?ve never leaked that many points in three successive games.

It?s a milestone game for back-rower Bronson Harrison who makes his 150th NRL appearance.

Meanwhile the Titans close out the season with games against the Wests Tigers and Eels ? the latter in all likelihood a showdown for the wooden spoon. But first they have to get past the Raiders?

In team changes Anthony Laffranchi, a late withdrawal for the Titans last week, returns in the second row with Greg Bird shifting to lock and Luke O?Dwyer benched.

Meanwhile a groin injury has sidelined Raiders? fullback Josh Dugan; he?s been replaced in the No. 1 jersey by David Milne. Joe Picker joins younger brother Mick on the bench, with Josh Miller missing out.

Watch Out Titans: Winger Blake Ferguson (207 metres last week) will be a danger down the right edge. Ferguson bagged his 13th try for the year against the bunnies ? setting a club record for most by a first-season player ? and the Titans have shown they are vulnerable to his flair and speed, leaking an NRL-high 41 tries down their left side.

Given their problems reading defences John Cartwright would have schooled his side on the decoy runs of Raiders lock Shaun Fensom, who leads the league for metres made off the ball, running 122 confusing decoys.

Danger Sign: If the Titans don?t improve their completions from last week (just 65 per cent) and gift the Raiders good field position they?ll find it hard to pressure their opponent. They need to get through their sets, pump the ball deep and throw the onus back on the Raiders to claw back the territory.

Watch Out Raiders: David Mead is the go-to man for the home side, whether it?s through the hands or in the air. Mead scored his 13th try of the season last week fielding a Matt Srama cross-field chip and given the Raiders have defused just 55 per cent of all cross-field kicks it?s safe to assume they?ll try their luck again here.

The Titans may also look to gain a result from a short kick either wide or into no-man?s land between the Raiders? defensive line and fullback David Milne ? the Raiders have safely handled just 50 per cent of these kicks.

The Raiders need to cover for their fullback when he?s forced into making tackles. John Sutton exploited this to perfection last week when he noticed Josh Dugan up at marker and no-one at home at fullback midway through a tackle count 40 metres out. He chip-kicked ahead and Nathan Merritt won the race for the ball to score this third try of the afternoon.

Luke Bailey and Greg Bird will look to make charges on an angle from close range after Ben Ross found joy this way last week.

Bird and right-side centre Dominique Peyroux will target Jarrod Croker, who missed six tackles last week. Croker has missed 58 all year, the most by any centre.

Danger Sign: Bird has great deception skills for a forward and likes to change the point of the attack when the opposition defence gets in his face. He does this with urgency and pace, which can catch out defenders back on the other side of the field. He executed this to perfection against the Storm last week when making a long, stepping run from the right side of the field back across to the left, linking with William Zillman who scored. If the Raiders go to sleep when the ball drifts away from them, Bird can create nightmares.

Plays To Watch: William Zillman looking to get around Joel Thompson; Preston Campbell showing sprite in the No.7; Titans? forwards running angles close to the Raiders? try line; Greg Bird?s ball-playing on the edges; Blake Ferguson?s pace; David Shillington hitting it up hard (last week he made 15 runs for 121 metres); plenty of tackle-busts from the Raiders? backs ? they combined for a phenomenal 33 last week.

Where It Will Be Won: Desire to avoid the spoon will be evident in how each side applies themselves in defence. These are the two worst defensive units in 2011 ? and there?s not a struck match between them. The Raiders rank rock bottom for points and tries scored against them yielding 25.7 and 4.4 respectively. The Titans have conceded 25.8 points a game and 4.5 tries each 80 minutes.

Their dismal defences aren?t just due to missed tackles but also poor judgment and defensive structure. That?s shown by their difficulty in stopping opposition busts ? the Raiders have conceded the most line-breaks all year (5.1), with the Titans breathing down their neck (five).

Whichever team muscles up from the outset ? and most importantly maintains application and structure ? will lay the foundations for victory.

The History: Played 9; Titans 5, Raiders 4. Results have run in sequence since these teams first met in 2007, when the Titans were victorious. The Titans won 23-22 in golden point in Canberra in Round 4 ? does that mean the Raiders are due? Countering that, the Titans hold a 3-0 advantage on the Gold Coast.

Conclusion: Neither side wants to end 2011 with the wooden spoon so there will be no excuses should one team not turn up ready to go.

Defence is the key ? both teams? attacks have struggled to score points this year (Raiders average three tries scored, Titans 2.7) so they?ll happily take any advantage a poor defensive unit might present them. The Titans missed 46 tackles last week, the Raiders 44. Whichever side can lower that number to high 20s, or even low 30s, will prevail.

We?re in the Titans? camp for this one ? especially given Josh Dugan?s absence. There?s too much pride at stake. The Gold Coast by eight points.

Match Officials: Referees ? Tony De Las Heras & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Jason Walsh & Peter Gough; Video Ref ? Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 5.30pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com

$1.70 we are paying... That's pretty damn good odds.

I would hold out at that price. Given Diehard's comments and the hopeless form we have showed all year I think the disparity in the price between the two teams might diminish as the game approaches.

We opened $1.60 on Wednesday so we are already out 10c.

Personally, I think that is still 'unders' at the $1.70 and would not want to take anything less than even money.

Don't forget the oldest punting saying of them all - ODDS ON LOOK ON!!
    "Never run up stairs and never lay odds-on"

Henry is out with a foot injury, Bailey is out with the flu and Bird has a broken hand, but ids going to play injured. We are apparently done to our last 17 players. If we get another injury we will have to ask for a salary cap exemption.

http://forum.titans.com.au/showpost....4&postcount=22
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Crikey :-(
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Bloody hell, can it get anymore dire for us?