Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Round 24: Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders

Gold Coast Titans vs Canberra Raiders

5:30pm Saturday 20 August - Skilled Park
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Raiders smashed again

The Canberra Raiders are in danger of claiming the dreaded wooden spoon after they were thumped 47-18 by the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium today.

The Rabbitohs were in total control from start to finish in front of a crowd of 12,150, never giving up the lead after running in four unanswered tries in the first 25 minutes.

Rabbitohs fullback Nathan Merritt extended his hot try-scoring form with a hat-trick to take his tally to 21 for the season, while Greg Inglis also crossed for a double.

It was the second-largest losing margin to the Rabbitohs in the Raiders’ 30-year history.

The Raiders are 14th on the table with three games remaining but only two points clear of last-placed Gold Coast Titans.

The two teams meet at Skilled Stadium next Saturday night.

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs are two points outside the top eight on the back of their third-straight win.

The Rabbitohs opened the scoring in spectacular fashion in the 9th minute when halfback Chris Sandow sparked a 105m effort.

The Eels-bound playmaker swooped on a grubber kick in his own in-goal, sprinting downfield before putting Dylan Farrell under the posts.

The Rabbitohs were in again soon after when Inglis picked up a deflected John Sutton pass for the easiest of tries.

More pain was inflicted on the Raiders when big Ben Ross waltzed through some woeful defence on the back of a simple Sandow inside ball.

Worse was to come when Inglis intercepted a Josh McCrone pass and ran 60m to collect his double.

Sandow’s fourth straight conversion gave the Rabbitohs a commanding 24-0 lead after as many minutes.

Raiders utility Michael Picker made his NRL debut in the 30th minute when he replaced captain and dummy-half Alan Tongue.

The Raiders needed a bit of luck to stem the tide.

They got it when Josh McCrone’s clearing kick bounced horribly for Merritt, allowing Blake Ferguson to pick up the scraps and get the Raiders on the scoresheet.

Ferguson appeared to reduce the deficit further on the stroke of halftime when he planted the ball down in the right-hand corner.

However, the replay showed the flying winger had put a foot on the right-hand touchline before grounding the ball, resulting in the video referee denying the four-pointer.

The Raiders trailed 24-6 at halftime.

Merritt opened his account in the 50th minute when the Souths custodian sliced through a massive hole in Canberra’s left-edge defence.

Four minutes later Merritt was in again, finding a gap up the middle before side-stepping the final defender.

Holding a 30-point buffer the Rabbitohs took their foot off the pedal.

The Raiders made them pay, fullback Josh Dugan beating Sandow one-on-one with a neat step in the 58th minute.

And when winger Reece Robinson strolled over in the left-hand corner the Raiders trailed 36-18 with 15 minutes left.

But a long-range Sandow field-goal, followed by Merritt’s third on the back of a clever John Sutton chip kick, quashed any thoughts of a miracle comeback.

Rabbitohs winger Chris McQueen finished off proceedings when he dived on a loose ball in the 78th minute.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Hopefully we will win this, the Titans haven't lost to the Raiders on the Gold Coast. We need to bag this game to set us up to lose the spoon.

Interesting game.

If Srama runs from Dummy half well then there is massive amounts of metres to be made in this game. I can only say it's a toss up for who wins this one

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Interesting game.

If Srama runs from Dummy half well then there is massive amounts of metres to be made in this game. I can only say it's a toss up for who wins this one
    If we can't beat the Raiders at home, we probably deserve the spoon. I really don't want it to come down to Round 26 against the Eels!

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    If we can't beat the Raiders at home, we probably deserve the spoon. I really don't want it to come down to Round 26 against the Eels!
    Raiders arn't as bad off as the Titans for injuries so Im not expecting too much. However, their form is truly terrible

Apparently Dugan might be out. Not entirely certain if that's a good thing or a bad though.

With Parra playing the Roosters in a couple of weeks this is a must win game for the Titans to have a chance at avoiding the spoon.

It's like a semi final at the bottom of the table really

QLD Cup Titan

Come on Titans - my last home game of the year to watch - I wanna see a WIN!!!!!!!!!!!
    Raiders don't usually get us a big crowd either so we will need to make LOTS of noise to lift the boys - I'm up for it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
    Raiders don't usually get us a big crowd either so we will need to make LOTS of noise to lift the boys - I'm up for it!!!!!
    You are right. They don't bring many fans, they bring passionate and loyal fans but not in huge numbers.

So we need to seriously pound the pavement and get the word out. Try and get the best crowd possible.

There is only so much we can do about crowd size, but there is all the things in the world we can do about crowd support and atmosphere. So let's all go the extra mile.

QLD Cup Titan

Just went to order a child's ticket to bring my daughter to the Raiders game and it is telling me that tickets are no longer on sale!!!!!! How bloody rude! Am going to check back in a day or so and hoping the error is fixed - we'll have a very small crowd if thats the case :-O

Quote Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
    Just went to order a child's ticket to bring my daughter to the Raiders game and it is telling me that tickets are no longer on sale!!!!!! How bloody rude! Am going to check back in a day or so and hoping the error is fixed - we'll have a very small crowd if thats the case :-O
    I've contacted the club about it. With the short timeframe until the game, every minute of ticket sales is important and it'd be a shame to lose half a days worth of sales.

Hopefully it gets fixed or the Titans take action to fix it promptly.

Thanks so much for reporting this Mushi. It's so important that we know what is going on and at the end of the day a few more people might be at Saturday's game because of it. Hopefully either Ticketek.com.au rights itself or the Titans pounce on it first thing in the morning.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Well we have 2 teams here, both coming off big losses at home, the difference is we lost to the competition leaders, and they lost to the current flavour of the month. I'd say of these 2 teams, we were the better one this round. Melbourne always seem to have luck on their side, that combined with a bit of soft defence, some poor options in attack, added a dodgy penalty against Bull for a strip (which denied us some points and some much needed momentum), plus an error called against Zillman which looked as though the Storm interfered, plus Michaels getting tackled high in goal, yet a dropout is called; take all that out, the game would be a lot closer. A few more kicks from Srama, and get the ball to Mead more often, these 2 things are what worried the Storm defence the most in the second half.

The Raiders on the other hand, were also unlucky, a couple of tries to the bunnies against the run of play, combined with Sandow and Merrit in white hot form. The Raiders did have some valuable possession on the bunnies line, and couldn't capitalise for a while, and there were times where the Raiders were shredding the bunnies defence as well.

Traditionally we win this clash by 20 points, but traditionally we are also a team that doesn't lose games at home, never gives up, and sit in the top 4. So I'm gonna be negative and say we can't win this game, in the hope that it is a good omen for the team, cos being positive, doesn't seem to work, but than again I'm a little superstitious

SHould be a good game, Raiders have been terrible of late so they may make us look good.

Ticket sales for this game are now available online again, after being offline for at least half a day. The Titans have corrected this.