Threaded View

Banned

Default Nail in the coffin for the Titans?

Palmer's New Stadium Plan
    Vince Rugari
    Aug 11 2011 17:53

BILLIONAIRE Gold Coast United owner Clive Palmer is examining the possibility of building a brand new stadium to escape the clutches of their current deal at Skilled Park.

Built in 2008, the Robina ground has been United's current home since the club's foundation but it has also been a financial headache for Palmer.

A combination of prohibitive rental costs and the lowest average crowds in the A-League have hammered the club's bottom line - to the point where Palmer was prompted to introduce a notorious 'crowd cap' of 5000 in their first season.

In reality, the 'crowd cap' is an arrangement that sees all attendees gathered on the broadcast side of the stadium, with further areas opened section-by-section if the crowd goes over 5000 people.

It has only amplified the already eerily quiet atmosphere at home games but its financial benefits saves the club around $150,000 for each match.

But the club may not be there much longer.

Asked if he sees Skilled Park as a long-term home for Gold Coast United, Palmer said curtly: "No."

"The price is too exorbitant. We're stuck with it for next year but maybe after that we'll look at developing our own stadium."

In addition to his latest purchase, the swanky Hyatt Regency Coolum - which was confirmed on Wednesday as United's new front-of-shirt major sponsor - Palmer also owns the former Avica Resort at Merrimac, just around the corner from Skilled Park.

Currently United's administrative headquarters, Avica has been earmarked as a potential site for a new home ground and Sportal understands that formative designs exist for a new stadium there.

In an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald two weeks ago, Palmer also mentioned the possibility of upgrading an athletics warm-up venue at Carrara that will be built if Gold Coast's 2018 Commonwealth Games bid is successful.

"We've got land near Skilled Park; 500 acres that my company (Queensland Nickel) own that we'd be able to lease, and there's a number of stadiums on the Coast that could be upgraded," Palmer told Sportal.

Gold Coast United are also yet to confirm where they will play their designated regional match for the upcoming A-League season.

Palmer suggested that United were keen to build a relationship with the Sunshine Coast area, which boasts an impressive, boutique stadium of its own in the Sunshine Coast Stadium.

But broadcasting demands are likely to force them to look elsewhere.

"That's what we're hoping for but of course, you've got to look at broadcasting problems. The stadium here, the lights aren't quite up to standard," he said.

"But anything could happen and it probably will. We should be talking about that sort of thing (a partnership with the Sunshine Coast region) than shutting the club down.

"I started the club, I don't want to see it closed. Plus, I can afford it. I've got plenty of money to run the football team. We don't lose any money, really. I'm staying at the club for as long as I can."
    Be very worried Titans fans, Clive has stated just how poor Skilled Park is and will build a bigger and better stadium right next to Skilled Park. The most worrying thing is that he also stated he is willing invest in Carrara facilities that is only going to help the AFL.

Bad news boys, Clive ain't gunna let you guys use the stadium and you'll be stuck with the worst and smallest stadium on the Gold Coast once Metricon gets upgraded. So my question is how long until the Titans fold?
    Last edited by Titan_Matchu; 12-08-11 at 08:22 AM.