Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Nail in the coffin for the Titans?

Palmer's New Stadium Plan
    Vince Rugari
    Aug 11 2011 17:53

BILLIONAIRE Gold Coast United owner Clive Palmer is examining the possibility of building a brand new stadium to escape the clutches of their current deal at Skilled Park.

Built in 2008, the Robina ground has been United's current home since the club's foundation but it has also been a financial headache for Palmer.

A combination of prohibitive rental costs and the lowest average crowds in the A-League have hammered the club's bottom line - to the point where Palmer was prompted to introduce a notorious 'crowd cap' of 5000 in their first season.

In reality, the 'crowd cap' is an arrangement that sees all attendees gathered on the broadcast side of the stadium, with further areas opened section-by-section if the crowd goes over 5000 people.

It has only amplified the already eerily quiet atmosphere at home games but its financial benefits saves the club around $150,000 for each match.

But the club may not be there much longer.

Asked if he sees Skilled Park as a long-term home for Gold Coast United, Palmer said curtly: "No."

"The price is too exorbitant. We're stuck with it for next year but maybe after that we'll look at developing our own stadium."

In addition to his latest purchase, the swanky Hyatt Regency Coolum - which was confirmed on Wednesday as United's new front-of-shirt major sponsor - Palmer also owns the former Avica Resort at Merrimac, just around the corner from Skilled Park.

Currently United's administrative headquarters, Avica has been earmarked as a potential site for a new home ground and Sportal understands that formative designs exist for a new stadium there.

In an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald two weeks ago, Palmer also mentioned the possibility of upgrading an athletics warm-up venue at Carrara that will be built if Gold Coast's 2018 Commonwealth Games bid is successful.

"We've got land near Skilled Park; 500 acres that my company (Queensland Nickel) own that we'd be able to lease, and there's a number of stadiums on the Coast that could be upgraded," Palmer told Sportal.

Gold Coast United are also yet to confirm where they will play their designated regional match for the upcoming A-League season.

Palmer suggested that United were keen to build a relationship with the Sunshine Coast area, which boasts an impressive, boutique stadium of its own in the Sunshine Coast Stadium.

But broadcasting demands are likely to force them to look elsewhere.

"That's what we're hoping for but of course, you've got to look at broadcasting problems. The stadium here, the lights aren't quite up to standard," he said.

"But anything could happen and it probably will. We should be talking about that sort of thing (a partnership with the Sunshine Coast region) than shutting the club down.

"I started the club, I don't want to see it closed. Plus, I can afford it. I've got plenty of money to run the football team. We don't lose any money, really. I'm staying at the club for as long as I can."
    Be very worried Titans fans, Clive has stated just how poor Skilled Park is and will build a bigger and better stadium right next to Skilled Park. The most worrying thing is that he also stated he is willing invest in Carrara facilities that is only going to help the AFL.

Bad news boys, Clive ain't gunna let you guys use the stadium and you'll be stuck with the worst and smallest stadium on the Gold Coast once Metricon gets upgraded. So my question is how long until the Titans fold?
    Last edited by Titan_Matchu; 12-08-11 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Matchu View Post
    Be very worried Titans fans, Clive has stated just how poor Skilled Park is and will build a bigger and better stadium right next to Skilled Park. The most worrying thing is that he also stated he is willing invest in Carrara facilities that is only going to help the AFL.

Bad news boys, Clive ain't gunna let you guys use the stadium and you'll be stuck with the worst and smallest stadium on the Gold Coast once Metricon gets upgraded. So my question is how long until the Titans fold?
    Umm yeh - cause you can take Clive Palmers word to the bank can't you
    And a bigger, better stadium for soccers 5000 strong crowd? Yeh thats gonna fold the Titans, ya drop-kick. The Titans will stand on their own legs without being underwritten for millions\year by headquarters, and without relying on a 400lbs suggar daddy's day to day fantasies. Nothing like telling a Queenlander they're gonna fail - you d!ckhead Victorians will never get it

Worry about your own cricket field when the novelty wears off....
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Bit early to be trolling on this wonderful Friday morning, Matchu?

This clown should really remove the word TITAN from his username. It's a joke that he pretends to be or have ever been a Rugby League fan.

I fail to see how GCU's fate and/or fantasies has anything to do with the Titans.

I see this as an attempt to get a better deal out of Skilled Park by trying to illustrate options. And if GCU fall over or relocate. Well that might open the door for the Titans to assume Skilled Park management rights backed by tue ARLC.

And if Metricon is upgraded, it'll just make the crowds look ridiculous for the Suns.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Palmer is all talk.

Running and funding a terribly unpopular organisation like the GCU is one thing but building a brand new stadium won't ever happen.

Not to mention he can't afford it, all his money is underground.

Ah yes AFL the game that doesn't reward skill. No need to actually gain control of the ball to be awarded a mark and no need to worry about getting tackled either... cause youll get an equal chance at getting it back, no need to keep the ball in play, as you'll get as a great chance to get it back as the other team.

Never see many examples of complete skill in that game.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

This is a very good idea from Clive Palmer, I think he'll need at least 100,000 seats to cram in all the GCU fans, you know the ones that always complain that Skilled Park does not have nearly enough seats to fit them all in. It really is a shame that Skilled only seats 27k cos there's always st least 100,000 GCU supporters that have to miss out on getting to the game cos it's always sold out within 5 mins of tickets going on sale. (Please note that the previous sentence was said with complete and utter sarcasm, Palmer would be better off 'investing' in toilet flushing if you catch my drift lol)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Ah yes AFL the game that doesn't reward skill. No need to actually gain control of the ball to be awarded a mark and no need to worry about getting tackled either... cause youll get an equal chance at getting it back, no need to keep the ball in play, as you'll get as a great chance to get it back as the other team.

Never see many examples of complete skill in that game.
    Karmichael Hunt on AFL
    "It's just so complex. Staying ahead of the play. I just really respect the guys who can do that. I would say it's tougher than rugby league where you can be outside the play having a rest."
    Israel Folau on AFL
    AFL footy is a lot tougher in some ways. Any rugby league player who comes across would say the same. It is a challenging game to play. Fitness-wise it's tough and body contact is challenging because you can get hit without noticing. It's not like league where you know what's in front of you.
    These quotes probably mean nothing to you though because you will never accept AFL as being superior in anything (when in reality it is superior in a lot of aspects). It requires a 360 awareness which both Israel and Karmichael have also stated they have struggled with because in NRL everything happens in front of you.

Mate if you knew the rules you would know that if you hold the ball for more then 3 seconds or so and get tackled your team gets penalised for holding the ball. The ball is only bounced if there is no prior opportunity of disposing of the ball. Here is the thing that confuses me about your post, you say it doesn't reward skill yet when you kick accurately you get 5 or 6 more points rather than getting 1 or 0 points. How is that not rewarding skill?

Surely I can relate it to the NRL when someone kicks a golden point drop kick at the end of the match and wins the game. Like the Broncos-Titans game I went to at Suncorp and Lockyer booted a point to win the game after full time and the Titans didn't even get the chance to get the ball (unfair rule). Then people go on and on about Lockyer slotting it and he gets rewarded for kicking accurately, sound farmiliar? Just a little fact for you Lockyer actually grew up playing AFL and that is why he is such a good kicker.

"It's just so complex. Staying ahead of the play. I just really respect the guys who can do that. I would say it's tougher than rugby league where you can be outside the play having a rest."
    Says the bloke getting paid $1m\yr to promote the game

AFL footy is a lot tougher in some ways. Any rugby league player who comes across would say the same. It is a challenging game to play. Fitness-wise it's tough and body contact is challenging because you can get hit without noticing. It's not like league where you know what's in front of you.
    And how many more league players will get offered the 'media b!tch' contracts to go and humiliate themselves? What a manly sport, where the guys hit each other from behind - because manning up and facing your opponent is so over-rated
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Matchu
    These quotes probably mean nothing to you though because you will never accept AFL as being superior in anything (when in reality it is superior in a lot of aspects). It requires a 360 awareness which both Israel and Karmichael have also stated they have struggled with because in NRL everything happens in front of you.

Mate if you knew the rules you would know that if you hold the ball for more then 3 seconds or so and get tackled your team gets penalised for holding the ball. The ball is only bounced if there is no prior opportunity of disposing of the ball. Here is the thing that confuses me about your post, you say it doesn't reward skill yet when you kick accurately you get 5 or 6 more points rather than getting 1 or 0 points. How is that not rewarding skill?

Surely I can relate it to the NRL when someone kicks a golden point drop kick at the end of the match and wins the game. Like the Broncos-Titans game I went to at Suncorp and Lockyer booted a point to win the game after full time and the Titans didn't even get the chance to get the ball (unfair rule). Then people go on and on about Lockyer slotting it and he gets rewarded for kicking accurately, sound farmiliar? Just a little fact for you Lockyer actually grew up playing AFL and that is why he is such a good kicker.
    You have to hold on to the ball for 3 secs?
    If you go to kick a goal and miss - don't you still get points?

You paid for Hunt's popularity, you paid for Folau's popularity, now you're trying to cash in on Lockyer? Sh1t, maybe he did kick a sherrin out of the way when he was younger. How much would they pay him to say he likes AFL?

More please...
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

BALLLL

Haha a game that penalizes you if you run more then 10 meters without dropping it LOL.

What a sad pathetic merkin to troll League boards trying to convert to your faith. Your like a friggin bible basher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

AFL has rules?

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Matchu View Post
    Karmichael Hunt on AFL

Israel Folau on AFL

Well if you think that AFL is the superior sport than you should probably go to a Man United fan forum, and recruit fans from there, I'm sure you won't get abused And exactly why are you trying to recruit fans from rugby league fan forums? What is the goal of it? Do you want us all to say 'you're right, I'm going to stop supporting the team and the sport I'm passionate about cos this troll brought up some really good reasons (sarcasm) to follow AFL.' Us league fans or at least Titans fans don't go and criticise you AFL fans on their fan forums or even our own fan forums, we have more interesting things to discuss than AFL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastTitanFan View Post
    Well if you think that AFL is the superior sport than you should probably go to a Man United fan forum, and recruit fans from there, I'm sure you won't get abused And exactly why are you trying to recruit fans from rugby league fan forums? What is the goal of it? Do you want us all to say 'you're right, I'm going to stop supporting the team and the sport I'm passionate about cos this troll brought up some really good reasons (sarcasm) to follow AFL.' Us league fans or at least Titans fans don't go and criticise you AFL fans on their fan forums or even our own fan forums, we have more interesting things to discuss than AFL.
    Not trying recruit fans from Rugby League because to be completely honest I wouldn't want some of the people I have seen walk into Skilled Park anywhere near an AFL game. I am just trying to show you that you are all delusional about what is really going on. For some reason people here think NRL is on par if not more popular than AFL (I have many many facts/stats to prove this wrong). Yes NSW and QLD are predominately Rugby League supporters but the rest of Austalia isn't! There are more people in Australia than just QLD and NSW.

I guess the biggest frustration and perhaps the reason for me posting this stuff is the sorts of stuff I hear coming out of a Rugby League supporters mouth about AFL. I guess I'm just one of those 10,000 people from last year that used to go to Titans game and stopped going. Then you'll say but next year we'll have Idris, Myles and all these other good recruits and they'll all come back but what you're not accounting for is the Suns are going to be much better next year as well and it is very hard to get someone to jump ship once both offers are appealing.

If the Titans don't make the 8 next year that hurts the sport here a lot, the Suns are able to avoid the spoon in their first year but in the same year the Titans can't? after making the semis last year? honestly what is going on boys? The injury card can only take you so far....

Shame we don't have teams tanking and losing games on purpose for better draft picks,
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastTitanFan View Post
    Us league fans or at least Titans fans don't go and criticise you AFL fans on their fan forums or even our own fan forums, we have more interesting things to discuss than AFL.
    hahaha seen this thread yet mate? http://forum.titans.com.au/showthread.php?t=19042

It just so happens to be the most responded to thread in the general sports section of this forum. You read through that and try and tell me there isn't the slightest bit of criticism in there. Wake up to yourself mate.
    Last edited by Titan_Matchu; 14-08-11 at 09:25 AM.