Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Laffranchi to wait for 100th Titans game

GOLD Coast Titans forward Anthony Laffranchi will have to wait one more week to play his 100th game for the club after failing to recover from a cork in time for Saturday night's game against Melbourne Storm at Robina.

NSW origin forward Greg Bird will come in to the side to replace Laffranchi in the starting side with Clinton Toopi expected to rotate through the back row from the interchange bench.

It was a focused training session at Skilled Park this morning as the Titans prepared to meet a Melbourne Storm team striving to win their eleventh-consecutive game.

After the warm-up Titans captain Luke Bailey called the team into a huddle and, in an act both generous and selfless, handed retiring club legend Preston Campbell the captaincy for the remainder of the season.

Replacing injured halfback Scott Prince in the first receiver role, Campbell will also take over the kicking duties on Saturday night.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titans keen to end flat season on positive note

BOTTOM-placed Gold Coast still has enough pride and a desire to send out departing club stalwarts on an upbeat note to cause a few upsets, starting tomorrow with Melbourne Storm, Titans' utility William Zillman said.

The Titans have had a horrendous season, starting the year as a finals contender but managing just five wins.

However, last weekend's morale-boosting 20-16 victory over Cronulla has closed the gap on those above the team and given it hope of avoiding the wooden spoon.

Advertisement: Story continues below Zillman said the players were desperate to send off the likes of the retiring Preston Campbell and Brad Meyers and the departing Nathan Friend [New Zealand Warriors] and Anthony Laffranchi [Super League].

''After having the win last week, it has lifted the confidence,'' Zillman said.

''Everyone seems to be a bit happier, as funny as it sounds, but it seems to have been a good training week.

''It has been a really tough year for us and to come to grips with the fact we're not going to be in the finals this year is going to be tough, but we're just looking forward to finishing the year on a positive note and sending some of our best players off.

Zillman said Campbell, who will play his 100th Titans game and 264th overall tomorrow night, had been ''an inspiration to the club''.

''We've still got four games this year to play with him and we can hopefully send him out with a few wins.''

The 24-year-old said he expected Storm, which has produced a string of suffocating performances to sit on top of the ladder, to be one of the grand finalists this year, with either the in-form Wests Tigers, or premier St George Illawarra as its opponent.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

A bench full off forwards! Just what I was hoping for

Toopi should be better value for us in the pack than he would be in center, hopefully he and the rest of the bench hit the field with some mongrel and intent!

Might put some lunch money on for an upset
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

How Toopi gets in is beyond me...

He's a centre. Why on Earth would you carry a centre on the bench?? If Carty wants another backrower in there pick one. If he comes on for either Peyroux or Zillman I'll give it away.

We are basically going in with 16 players selecting him. Ridiculous!!

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    How Toopi gets in is beyond me...

He's a centre. Why on Earth would you carry a centre on the bench?? If Carty wants another backrower in there pick one. If he comes on for either Peyroux or Zillman I'll give it away.

We are basically going in with 16 players selecting him. Ridiculous!!
    I reckon he'll get used as an impact forward. And I don't see a problem with that, he's big enough and got the mongrel to put on a few hits and make a few good runs. We need blokes like him rubbing up the Storm pack in impact spurts, but we don't need him as the 80min liability he would be in the 3/4. I doubt he'll be substituting either of our centers.

I just put $20 on for Titans 1-12 @$8
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I reckon he'll get used as an impact forward. And I don't see a problem with that, he's big enough and got the mongrel to put on a few hits and make a few good runs. We need blokes like him rubbing up the Storm pack in impact spurts, but we don't need him as the 80min liability he would be in the 3/4. I doubt he'll be substituting either of our centers.

I just put $20 on for Titans 1-12 @$8
    Tener on the 1-6!

I have to agree, the selection of Toopi goes over my head. But I know he will try hard for us, just hope he cuts down the errors.

Pretty good team overall though.

Just hoping for some good weather and a healthy crowd on top of a great Titans performance and a win.

Toops is much better coming on as a forward. His game nowadays is straight and hard and his tackling closer to the ruck will be much more effective than it was out wider.

Toopi hits harder than most & will not walk away if there is a Stink
    #itaintweaktospeak

AHHHH i need a lift from mainbeach to skilled park in time to watch NYC anyone PLEASEEE??????

Boys today is crunch time! We have gotta produce an upset today and by doing that we need the great goal line defence that we had against the sharks. But more importantly Titans need to play with pride and passion! CMON BOYZ! LETS DO THIS! (in 10 hrs time)

Never mind my last post i can get to the pac fair does anyone know when the firsst set of busses leave?

Looking forward to the game tonight! And I love just having my Membership card. I'm in Brisbane ATM looking after my brothers place until tomorrow. I can jump on a train and get free transport to the GC. I also love not having to scramble for one off tickets and that Legion is GA. That used to drive me insane trying to micromanage who I'm going to the footy with and have to get the tickets.

Looks like we will get some good weather. Hope it holds out.

I'm probably going to get there around six.

Looking forward to catching up with my mate Timor 2 in The Legion tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Looks like we will get some good weather. Hope it holds out.
    I think there may be a Storm coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    I think there may be a Storm coming!
    You'd better reef your sails, batten down your hatches and Titan your resolve then.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.