Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bird should be starting if he is fit... we will need him big time if we want to win.

Well I'm glad about the team. A bit surprised to see Bird on the bench. Is it because he isn't fit or because his performance hasnt been himself lately?

And who is going to kick for goal? : /
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Check my thread Diehard i will post it on there as soon as i figure out im trying to through inside ssources

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Well I'm glad about the team. A bit surprised to see Bird on the bench. Is it because he isn't fit or because his performance hasnt been himself lately?

And who is going to kick for goal? : /
    Surely can't be performance???
    In his last 3 games for us he's been making around 170mts & 30 tackles per match, he's been our best forward by heaps.....
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Neilson not named.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior Titan

Nielsen has been named. The NRL site has put Dane Chisholm instead of Dane Nielsen a few times now.

Titans' Srama to meet his hero
    Daniel Fraser | August 10th, 2011

GOLD Coast Titans rake Matt Srama is determined to cast aside any starstruck tendencies at Skilled Park on Saturday night and prove he can match it with the best No.9 in the land.

Having progressed through the grades idolising Melbourne Storm hooker Cameron Smith, the young Titans dummy-half says it will be a strange experience lining up against his Queensland and Australian hero.

But it is an experience he would not miss for anything.

"Saturday will be very surreal for me," Srama said.

"More than anything I just want to play well. It will be a massive test for me personally going up against Cameron Smith.

"Hopefully I can play well and do my job and maybe show people that I can start to match it with legends like him, but after the game it will be great just to shake his hand."

Have your say on the feedback form below
    Gold Coast Titans news, photos

Having never run out against the Storm in the NRL, Srama carries none the scars of the Titans' heavy loss in Melbourne in Round 2.

Srama admitted the biggest challenge he faced would be succumbing to the awe that surrounded his childhood hero.

"He is one of my idols, definitely," Srama said.

"I am a true blue Queenslander and he is from Brisbane. He played pretty close to where I grew up playing, so seeing how far he has come and what he has done in his career already was a real inspiration for me coming through the grades."

The former five-eighth pointed to the kicking game of his Queensland and Australian hero as the feature of his game that he admires most, admitting it was lacking from his game at this stage of his career.

"What separates him from so many other hookers is his kicking game, and that is something that will come for me with confidence," Srama said.

"I grew up playing five-eighth and I had a decent kicking game but my progression and development as a hooker has taken me away from that.

"But it is something I would like to eventually have as part of my game."

Just 20-years-old and in his first season of first grade, Srama has already appeared on the radar of some of his most revered peers.

"Someone sent me a text about an article that Cam Smith did and in it he gave me a good rap," Srama said.

"It was a bit surreal really having my idol and the best hooker in the game praising me."

With regular utility Preston Campbell named at halfback against Melbourne, Srama will likely get as many minutes on the field to impress as his hero -- maybe more.

"Having Presto coming on and giving me breaks has been good but eventually I want to become like Cam Smith and Nathan Friend and these guys that can play 80 minutes every week," he said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

I just had a look at the match betting for this game and the bookies have placed us at $7.20 to win this game at home. I find that just a tad (term used very lightly) insulting, considering Parramatta were only 2$ or $3 something. This will make the victory even sweeter.

?Presto? excited about magic 100 milestone

He?s played more than 260 NRL games over 14 seasons at the top but livewire Preston Campbell says reaching 100 games for the one club, for the first time in his career is a special achievement.

Campbell will notch 100 games for the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans when he dons the No.7 jersey in Saturday night?s clash against Melbourne at Skilled Park, becoming just the fourth player in Titans history to do so.

Fellow inaugural Titan Anthony Laffranchi may also reach 100 games for the club this weekend if he can overcome a corked leg in time to take on Melbourne.

For Campbell, after playing 96 matches for Penrith (2003-06) and 54 matches for Cronulla (1999-2002), the 100-game milestone marks a significant achievement to add to his list as he soaks up his final month as a player in the game.

?Even though I?ve gone full circle, not many blokes can say they?ve started and finished at the same club,?? said Campbell, referring to his debut for the Gold Coast Chargers in 1998.

?I know they were the Chargers back then but they were still the Gold Coast.

?So it is great to be back here and to play 100 games for them ? I?ve never played 100 games for any team ? so that?s pretty special for myself.??

With just four games remaining in his playing career, Campbell said he would be out to bring a ?bit of fun? to his side?s style of play, starting this weekend.

?It?s the last four games of the season so I just think we should go out there and enjoy it,?? he said.

?Obviously we?ve got a structure in place but we just need to go out there and enjoy it. That?s the best way we play our football, we beat teams playing like that so I?m just going to try and bring a bit of fun into it

?You?re a long time retired from rugby league so I?m definitely going to go out and have a bit of fun.??

Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright said it was nice to see the club?s inaugural players making history by reaching milestones this season and pointed towards the side?s strong record when Campbell has filled in for Prince at halfback in the past.

Without Prince, Campbell guided the club to a history making 18-6 win over the Storm in Melbourne 2009 along with a 20-16 win over Melbourne at Skilled Park last year.

?He?s been a cornerstone of our side and our club. He?s loved by everyone, especially us, and with four games we want to send him out a winner as much as we possibly can,?? said Cartwright.

?We?ve actually got a good record when Presto plays halfback. I know he?s very excited about it, he?s very important to us, very infectious and he brings that out in everyone else around him.??

Source: Titans

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Craig Bellamy does not want to to dwell on the Storm's past or future but solely on the match ahead

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy doesn't like to dwell on his clubs past or future which means the NRL minor premiership is not on his radar.

Bellamy also brushed aside talk of his competition-leading team equalling the club's season-best 11 successive wins when they play Gold Coast Titans on Saturday, which would be the Storm's 18th for the year against just three losses.

"The only focus we've got is this week," Bellamy said on Wednesday.

"People may get sick of hearing about that but we're not taking anything for granted, we'll be playing a very committed and pumped up Titans side this week.

"We're not going to fall into the trap of concerning ourselves with what we need to do in two weeks or patting ourselves on the back because that's not going to help us."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

After the Gold Coast match, Melbourne will remain in Queensland until Tuesday, formulating a plan for the remainder of the season and the looming finals.

Bellamy was bemused to hear of his side's run of results the last time the club held the camp.

While the end result was the 2009 premiership which was stripped last year, their first game after the break was against St George Illawarra and was a 26-12 loss.

They then suffered a further two defeats in their next three games.

"Maybe because we're going a bit later this year, that might be the change," he said when told of the losses.

"We didn't get much of a result (against the Dragons), although there was some good things after that."

The master coach said it was good to have a change of environment, although the sunshine and beaches didn't signal a holiday.

"It certainly won't be a holiday, although it will be nothing too intense.

"It will help us clear our heads about what's ahead and we put in place a few plans for leading on toward the end of the season."

Will the Storm continue their incredible run and clinch the Minor Premiership? Have your say.

Despite holding down last spot on the competition ladder, Bellamy was wary of the under-performing Titans, who had a much-needed win over Cronulla last round.

He identified his team's starts as an area they needed to improve on, after letting their past two opponents get the early jump.

"Our starts the last couple of weeks haven't been great.

"There's no excuses.... we need to improve on the way we're starting games and not rely on our second halves."

On the injury front, Bellamy said the club's leading tryscorer, winger Matt Duffie - who has missed the last three games with a sternum injury - was expected to be available to play the Dragons on Friday week at AAMI Park.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au

Charged-up Storm

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has put a fast start at the top of his list of things to achieve in Saturday's top-versus-bottom clash with the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park.

The Storm may be shooting for their 11th straight victory and have one hand on the NRL minor premiership, but Bellamy is leaving nothing to chance.

He wants a developing trend to concede the early initiative to the opposition in clashes with Penrith, Parramatta and the Broncos over the past three weeks to stop now before it gets out of hand.

The Storm conceded the first try in their 26-6 win over the Panthers, came from 18 points down in their miracle win over the Eels and were held to 6-all at half-time before running over the top of the Broncos.

"The last couple of weeks our starts haven't been great," said Bellamy.

"I know a couple of people have tried to throw some excuses."

"Before the Parramatta game we had a 10-day turnaround and you're always a little bit slow after 10 days, then we had a five-day turnaround and it's always tough after a five-day turnaround, but you can't have it both ways."

"We certainly need to improve how we're starting games and just not rely on our second halves."

Bellamy said he expects the Titans to be 'committed and pumped-up' following last week's upset win over Cronulla which effectively ended the Sharks' finals hopes.

He said the few extra days the Storm will be spending on the Gold Coast after Saturday's match 'won't be a holiday'.

"It's a break away from Melbourne and something that we have done in the past," said Bellamy.

"We will be training but it won't be anything too intense because we've got a short turnaround after the Titans game."

"But it just helps us to clear our heads a little bit and make sure that we're putting a few plans in place."

Bellamy said he expects winger Matt Duffie, who hasn't played since copping a blow to his sternum in the warm-up to the Broncos game, to be available for next week's blockbuster clash with St George at AAMI Park.

"We weren't quite aware of how bad it was and he hasn't played since, so that's certainly a bit of a worry," Bellamy said.

"But the medical staff expect him to be available next week."

Bellamy said the Storm would not be interested in recruiting Todd Carney should the troubled star be cut loose by the Sydney Roosters.

http://www.sportal.com.au

Looks like the Storm are planning a blitzkrieg. We had better be on alert from the kick off or we will suffer chasing. And when the Storm get the taste of blood they don't stop.

We need to win with grit so we need a strong and dominating performance from our forwards.

Titans v Storm
    Skilled Park Saturday 7.30pm

An upset win by the Titans would have massive repercussions at both ends of the premiership ladder; a surprise victory minus injured skipper Scott Prince would muddy the waters concerning this season’s wooden spoon as well as breathe new life into the race for the minor premiership, leaving the Storm just a win in advance of the Sea Eagles (should Manly take down the Eels) with just three games to play.

However, an anticipated Storm victory – which would equal their longest winning streak of 11 – would all but secure the minor premiership for Melbourne and leave the Titans odds-on to be left holding the dreaded timber cutlery.

Still, the Titans showed they aren’t willing to go belly-up without a fight when defeating the Paul Gallen-led Sharks in the shire last week. Their 20-16 win came just days after club stalwart Preston Campbell announced he’ll be hanging up his boots at season’s end and was achieved minus the attendance of coach John Cartwright (post-operative illness) for the second week running.

Although they face a massive challenge to repel the Storm you can guarantee they won’t fall short on passion – Campbell and fellow foundation team-mate Anthony Laffranchi play their 100th games for the franchise.

Coach Cartwright will have his troops channelling thoughts of 2008 when they kept the Storm scoreless in an 18-nil triumph. Melbourne remain the only side they’ve managed to keep from posting a point in a game.

This week Campbell slots in at halfback for Prince (out for the remainder of the season with a broken arm), with Luke Bailey appointed captain. Clinton Toopi and Greg Bird, who must pass a late fitness test to take his place, are the new faces on an extended bench.

Meanwhile the Storm welcome back Jesse Bromwich at prop which ushers a domino effect: Sika Manu shifts to the second row, pushing Kevin Proctor to lock, pushing Ryan Hinchcliffe to the bench. Adam Woolnough is out with an Achilles injury until Round 26.

The Titans are really up against it – they’re on the brink of a sixth successive home loss, the first for a Gold Coast franchise since 1996. And they average their fewest points per game against the Storm (just 13).

Watch Out Titans: Billy Slater was outstanding against the Panthers last week, scoring a try and setting up another as well as running 118 metres and making a game-high six tackle busts (he now has 101 for the year). But it was his running work off the ball that really caught the eye – it’s no surprise he’s the league’s leading support player, his 144 supports 46 more than second-ranked Nathan Hindmarsh. He’s made 14 try saves too.

Winger Anthony Quinn sees the Titans as his ‘bunny’ – he’s crossed for six tries in five games including a hat-trick in his only clash at Gold Coast HQ in Round 5 last year (although he’ll be looking for a better result as the Storm lost 20-16).

The Titans may have got the chocolates against the Sharks but they still missed a whopping 40 tackles. They average 36 a game, the fifth most by any side. They’ll get slaughtered here if they can’t do better than average, given the Storm score the most points each week (24) and rank fourth for line-breaks (4.5), while the Titans concede the second-most line-breaks (4.8).

Danger Sign: With no Scott Prince down the other end the Titans will struggle for field position. If that happens Storm halves Cooper Cronk and Gareth Widdop will have a field day. Both have 14 try assists while Widdop leads his side for line-breaks with 14.

Watch Out Storm: Scott Prince leads the Titans for try assists with 14 – the next most is Preston Campbell’s three. Clearly the Titans will need some dazzling solo efforts to cross the stripe.

With such a limited range of attacking options the Storm can expect plenty of “lottery” kicks. Winger Anthony Quinn is the weak link, defusing just 50 per cent of grubbers and 67 per cent of cross-field bombs.

The Titans will play to their limited strengths – that means attacking the left side where they’ve scored 23 tries. They’ll also involve right winger David Mead and centre William Zillman often. The pair lead the way in tries scored with 12 and 11 respectively.

Danger Sign: The Storm need to stay vigilant in defence when the Titans are in possession between 20-50 metres out from the try line. This is their ‘go zone’ – they’ve crossed for 16 tries from plays initiated there, incredibly the second most by any side. (It still looks a mismatch though, given the Storm have leaked a league-low two in that section of the field.)

Plays To Watch: Luke Bailey (127 metres) and Greg Bird (132 metres) rallying the troops with gusto; Anthony Laffranchi searching out his 33rd try in his fourth-last game for the Titans to break away from Mat Rogers and become their record tryscorer; more ball-on-a-string finishes from winger David Mead; Billy Slater’s busts; Cameron Smith’s relentless assaults from the ruck; Cooper Cronk taking on the defence and passing inside to forward supports close to the Titans’ try line.

Where It Will Be Won: The weight of statistics. The Storm make the second fewest errors (9.9), the Titans the second most (12.6). The Storm complete their sets of possession 78 per cent of the time, way ahead of the Titans’ average of 71 per cent. Most tellingly though the Storm head all teams for points scored (23) and fewest points conceded (11.3) while the Titans are exact opposites, scoring the fewest points (15) and conceding the most (25).

The History:
    Played 6; Titans 3, Storm 3. Melbourne smashed the Gold Coast 40-12 at AAMI Park in Round 2. But the Titans are unbeaten in the two clashes played at Skilled Park.

Conclusion: We don’t condone or encourage gambling… but feel free to bet the farm on a Storm win. The only doubt is the winning margin. Hats off to the Titans if they can limit the damage to 20 points.

Match Officials: Referees – Jason Robinson & Allan Shortall; Sideline Officials – Steve Chiddy & Michael Wise; Video Ref – Phil Cooley.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm (viewer’s choice), delayed 9.20pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com

Junior Titan

For anyone that likes a bet this is looking juicy...

Im going to get on the Titans Line Bet, they will give us a 12-14 point head start i think. At home i would hope we can get within that margin if not win.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfers6 View Post
    For anyone that likes a bet this is looking juicy...

Im going to get on the Titans Line Bet, they will give us a 12-14 point head start i think. At home i would hope we can get within that margin if not win.
    Sounds good to me. What is it paying? Head to head?