Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Titans hooker weathers the Storm
    AAP

A key component of Melbourne Storm's game plan against the Gold Coast Titans focused on running big forwards at Matt Srama in the hope the pint-sized hooker would crumble in defence.

And while the Storm certainly did punch holes in the Titans' line as they ran away with a 40-16 victory at Skilled Park on Saturday night, the tough-as-teak Srama never cracked.

The 20-year-old rookie made a game-high 53 tackles in a stellar 80-minute performance in a losing side.

Advertisement: Story continues below "We wanted to run a bit of traffic at him because they (the Titans) didn't have another dummy-half on the bench," Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy revealed.

"He's a game player defensively and he's clever with the footy."

Storm skipper Cameron Smith, considered the best hooker in the game, was also glowing in his praise of the 82kg Srama, who was playing Toyota Cup when Melbourne smashed the Titans 40-12 in round two.

"He's a terrific young player," Smith said.

"He's very committed to his football and he always gets his body in front of blokes coming at him, no matter how big they are.

"We wanted to try and pick him out and tire him out but he just kept turning up and getting his job done."

Smith compared Srama to the man he replaced at the Titans - the injured Nathan Friend (shoulder). The Warriors-bound No.9 is renowned for his courageous defence and boundless energy.

"Obviously Friendy's more experienced but he's (Srama) a goer and he wants to be where the ball is," the Melbourne veteran said.

"He's a smart young kid. He's only had a handful of games but I'm sure with a bit more time on the park he'll get a bit better."

Smith then realised he may have been giving Srama too much of a wrap as he jokingly added: "I hope he doesn't get too much better - he might be looking at my spot in the Queensland team."

Titans coach John Cartwright was reluctant to make comparisons between Srama and Friend but said his rookie rake had been a shining light in the Titans' miserable season.

"On potential he could be anything and he's got the attitude to do it," Cartwright said about Srama, who has played just 11 NRL matches.

"It wouldn't surprise me if he got player of the year in both grades (NRL and Toyota Cup). It might be the first time ever."
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

High complements from the Storm on Srama. He's been one the stand outs and can only get better.

QLD Cup Titan

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    The game was certainly more close than the score showed.
    It most definitely was!!!!

Credit to Srama too for getting a great wrap from the Storm. He will only get better and better with more game time too!!!!!

Even though we did lose the game last night, a full credit to those in the legion - an awesome atmosphere again and loved the chants when the injured storm player was getting seen to! The boys were right there and am sure were loving hearing all the support. So proud to be a legion member!!

Maybe we lost because we ran the wrong way in each half? Yeah, that must be it. First time ever running the opposite way.

I loved aluminium mans chants at slater. get you boots fixed after the game with a pen you wanker. I changed my mind do it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Boonarga View Post
    Maybe we lost because we ran the wrong way in each half? Yeah, that must be it. First time ever running the opposite way.
    Yea we won the toss but went the opposite way. We need to let Presto know to run towards the Legion and northern stand in the 2nd half.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Lonely Turtle View Post
    I loved aluminium mans chants at slater. get you boots fixed after the game with a pen you wanker. I changed my mind do it now!
    The chants were an awesome highlight. More more much more please.

We should sign Srama for 5 years or more IMO, he is worth it easy

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    We should sign Srama for 5 years or more IMO, he is worth it easy
    He may well be but 2 to 3 yrs at a time is plenty. He might exceed everyones expectations but not be paid accordingly in the 3rd, 4th or 5th year of the contract.

We signed Idris for 5 ??? have no idea why

Quote Originally Posted by Smakked View Post
    We signed Idris for 5 ??? have no idea why
    I think there is great potential there but we will have to wait and see.

Currently having a look at the courier mail fantasy league teams in my comp, and noticed Beau Henry scored -1 for his efforts Sat night
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....