Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    QLD Cup Titan

Roddick losing has meant that there are no geniune threats to Federer for the title now. I'll go out on a limb & declare that Stosur will end Hingis' campaign.

That could occur.. I wish Sam all the best of luck.. I am sitting on the fence on this one..

As for Roddick's loss.. well now that Cyprus bloke has every chance of doing the unthinkable and beating Federer... or maybe Tommy Hass may do it today.. if he does.. then it will be one heck of a finals run..

Titan Club Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DeeGan
    GTD - you really no how to pick em'

First it was death riding Australia in the cricket when they were 6 wickets down and now you have "always thought" that Martina Hingis would win the open now she has safely navigated her way to the quarters

After the first set of the women's final, can you give me your tip?

What about the cricket tonight? Sri Lanka the goods?

DeeGan
    You'd have to be silly not to think Martina didnt have a chance...c'mon...
    And...you forgot about the draw in the SA vs OZ game..that i was the only one who picked
    Also...i really want Sri Lanka to win the series..they are cool..especially Chaminda :happy:

Titan Club Captain

Goo Martina...i was a bit stressed in the tie break..cos skit house was on like at 11:30pm, and the tennis finished at 11:17pm....*wipes brow* phewww....

miss u daniela so close yet so far o well go lindsey and maria my second and third rating on hot

LIVE ORIGIN DRINK XXXX BLEED MAROON
    FINEST STATE FINEST TEAM FINEST BEER XXXX

Well my picks are bundled out with Davenport blowing a great start last night (6-2 in the first set) only to see the gritty Henin-Hardenne claw her way back to win the match. I was disappointed to say the least.

My attention now goes to Martina Hingis (love that smile) and Marcos Baghdatis - I hope they do well.

Just a report you might be interested in re: Marcos Baghdatis.

Marcos hopes to dodge draft
    From Michele Kamabas in Nicosia
    January 25, 2006

NOTHING worries Australian Open semi-finalist Marcos Baghdatis, except the army.

LIVE: Real-time scores from the Open

The military draft could wreck the Cypriot's career if army chiefs on the east Mediterranean island decide to call him up, and his family says the uncertainty is affecting his game.

Not that you would guess from his performances in Melbourne.

Baghdatis is the talk of Cyprus, a country with virtually no tradition in tennis, after extending his extraordinary run to the semi-finals by beating No.7 seed Ivan Ljubicic from Croatia.

Unfortunately for the unseeded 20-year-old it is virtually impossible to dodge the draft in Cyprus, with all males aged 18-plus having to spend 26 months in the armed services.

"We are pleading with the military to give him exemption from the army," Baghdatis's Lebanese father, Christos, was quoted as saying by the Cyprus Mail.

"They should at least inform him that he will not have to (join) the army until he is 35.

"But they are not willing to do that. He is constantly being given postponements from the Ministry of Defence regarding his draft. It is in itself a worry for our son."

Advertisement:
    Baghdatis, who started playing aged five, was packed off to a France boarding school to develop his game when he was 14 under an Olympic Solidarity scholarship.

His tough on-court mentality was shaped by this parting from his family and particularly his mother, Androulla, highly unusual in the close-knit communities of Cyprus.

"He has sacrificed everything ? his parents, his life here," Simon Aynedjian, the Cyprus over-35 and over-45 champion, said.

"I've seen him with his mother, and how affectionate and lovey-dovey they are. He misses it, he has given everything for the game."

Marcos has a younger sister, Zena, and two older brothers who also played Davis Cup for their country.

Baghdatis was the world No.1 junior in 2003 and, ranked No.54 in the world before the Australian Open, is the first Cypriot to feature in the top 100.

"His performance is quite unprecedented, given the tennis history that Cyprus has, but for those who have followed his career this is not much of a surprise," Sotiris Charalambous, sports editor of the Cyprus Mail, said

That newspaper was the first to highlight Baghdatis's army problem and brought the player's talent to the attention of the authorities.

"One member of the review board said they had no idea," Charalambous said.

Reuters

I am jumping on the Baghdatis bandwagon now. I remember seeing a story at the start of the tournament and there were these group of Aussies and they were members of the Baghdatis supporter group (the ones who wear the blue) and it was quite funny.

Titan First Grade Regular

I know this will get the backs up of tennis fans, but i tried to watch the Maria Sharapova match last night and could only take about 5 minutes of it, i really think something should be done to penalise those who are excesively noisey on the court, Sharapova was screaming every time she hit the ball, like she was having the best orgasm of her life during sex.

I think the Tennis officials should bring in Points violations for excesive noise, i have played many sports incuding competative Squash and never in my time have i heard a squash player grunt or scream like those in professional tennis.

It is time to tell those players who grunt, squeal and scream to shut up. Maybe just maybe during a major grand slam event someone like Sharapova getting a points violation during the final will shut her and the others up. cya.

Titan Club Captain

*sigh* Martina lost :upset: she did very well to get to the quaters tho...not playing for 3 years...You done well Martina *respect* :hi:

Yep hats of to Martins - Did well against the new #1.

Look forward to seeing more of her too!

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan Club Captain

I dont care who wins it now....all my plans have gone down the dunny anyways

Currently in the Baghdatis vs Nalbandian match, it is 2 sets all. Nalbandian won the first 2 sets, but Baghdati came back and won the next 2. The 5th set has just started. COME ON!!!

Baghdatis won that match.. and he played so well.. he is looking like a fairytale waiting to happen.. but it will most probably be Federer in the Final.. however if anyone can beat Federer, Marcus can.. and he will give it a shot no matter what..

GO MARCUS and all the best for the final of the Australian Open..

Titan Club Captain

Poor Justine
    I really wanted her to win :upset:
    What a way to win a grand slam....
    I bet shes wishing she took that medical time out now :hmm:

Congrats to Federer and commiserations to Marcos. After having a call over turned by the ump that gave Federer the second set, it all went down hill for the 20 y.o. who has won fans world wide after the last two weeks.

Just quickly, CH7 should pull their head on playing live music AFTER the players had walked out on court. Get all the garbage over and done with BEFORE the players are on court!

DeeGan