Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Good to see Dom get another shot, the team just needs to number up so the edge defenders don't have a 2 or 3 man overlap.

Gallen is back this week and...umm yeah

QLD Cup Titan

Of course Gallen is back! We just don't get a break lately!
    I'm actually going to miss watching this game - got a family bbq to attend. Am really hoping that I get home to look up a great result - maybe me not watching it is a good omen for the boys - nothing else has worked so far!

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
    Of course Gallen is back! We just don't get a break lately!
    I'm actually going to miss watching this game - got a family bbq to attend. Am really hoping that I get home to look up a great result - maybe me not watching it is a good omen for the boys - nothing else has worked so far!
    Hopefully Gallen's return gives the Sharks a false sense of security. Plus no more bloody milestones as far as I know, but the media will probably make one up just to make us self conscious lol.

Coincidentally I have to miss this game as well cos of work so if we do win it might be my good omen lol last game I missed was v raiders, although I did catch the end, plus the only home game I missed going to was against the roosters..... now I'm starting to feel like bad luck lol

QLD Cup Titan

Funny I missed the raiders game too - only 2 games I haven't been able to either get to or watch on tv - hope it is a good omen for the boys then!!!!! I did get to go to the roosters and tigers home games though so it can't be me :-)

C'mon guys ... it's not that ... just put your socks on the other way round, get up on the other side of the bed ... pat the dog before the cat ... read the business section before the sports.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Hey guys do you know if laff is going to be playing second row for the rest of the year?

nah i dont think so. just with bird n harrison out, i think the coach's think we need his exp in the back row. esp with mini there! :P

Cronulla risk losing Paul Gallen for rest of season in attempt to keep faint NRL finals hopes alive

Cronulla could risk losing captain Paul Gallen for the rest of the season in a desperate attempt to keep their faint NRL finals hopes alive.

Gallen has missed the Sharks' past two games with a calf injury suffered in the round 19 loss to St George Illawarra.

Cronulla sit in 12th place on 18 points and need to win all five of their remaining games, starting with Saturday's Toyota Stadium clash with Gold Coast Titans, and hope they can scrape into the play-offs.

Coach Shane Flanagan says he might have to risk inspirational skipper Gallen to keep his side's hopes flickering.

"That's a tough one but it's getting towards that stage that we've got to risk a few things," he told reporters on Wednesday

"I didn't want to risk him last week (in the loss to Brisbane Broncos) but we need to start taking some risks and that's one we might have to take."

Flanagan said that could mean putting the NSW captain's season on the line.

"That's the risk you take," Flanagan said.

"If he tears his calf again he could be gone for three or four weeks which probably means the season, so that's what we've got to toss up.

"I'll be guided by the medical staff a bit there but we'll see how we go."

Gallen declared he was in desperate need of a rest after the Sharks' round-18 win over Canberra.

His incredible 80-minute efforts at prop for New South Wales in the State of Origin series had clearly taken their toll and a week later he was forced off WIN Jubilee Oval with the calf problem.

Flanagan said the injury was taking longer than expected to heal.

"I thought he'd be 100 per cent (this week), he was close last Friday night but it's really slow and I'm not that confident anymore," Flanagan said.

"He'll train on Friday and if he comes up 100 per cent he'll play, but he's not sending out any great signals at the moment."

The Sharks also have concerns over niggles to backs John Williams and Matthew Wright.

After a mid-season rally of four straight wins, Cronulla have lost their past three games, the latest a 46-16 smashing by Brisbane.

But, despite facing a virtually impossible task to make the top eight, they have not given up on playing finals football.

"We've won four in a row (this season) and there's five games left and we're confident that we can win all of our games," Flanagan said.

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Who are the Sharks kidding, they arn't playing finals footy this year

Cronulla Sharks v Gold Coast Titans

Want to learn more about cfds? We can help. Learn More

Sharks captain Paul Gallen. Photo: Getty Images
    Toyota Stadium, Sydney, Saturday 7.30pm (AEST)
    Last meeting: Round 16 2011 - Sharks 36 bt Titans 12 at Skilled Park
    Stats: Head-to-head
    Referees: Gavin Badger, David Munro
    TV: Live, FoxSports 2
    TAB Sportsbet: Sharks $1.43 Titans $2.85
    FootyTab: Titans +6.5

Greg Prichard writes: The Storm?s winning streak should have been stopped at eight games on Monday night, when the Eels had them down 18-0. But the Eels have become world champions at finding ways to lose this season, and the Storm got home late. That experience should shake the Storm up for this one, but they do have to deal with a quick turnaround. Two straight losses have left the Panthers four points outside of the top eight.

AAP writes: Cronulla have conceded 102 points in their past three matches - all losses against the Dragons, Knights and Broncos but will be boosted with the return of skipper Paul Gallen. Sharks coach Shane Flanagan reacted to last week's heavy loss to Brisbane by dropping fullback Nathan Gardner to the bench with Isaac Gordon taking over at fullback. The Titans will be without former Shark Greg Bird, who has a hamstring problem while veteran centre Clinton Toopi has been dropped. Steve Michaels returns on the wing with William Zillman to play in the centres for the bottom-placed Titans who have been a shambles in 2011.

Key: The Titans forwards have to stand up and provide a platform for embattled halfback Scott Prince to weave some magic, otherwise the Sharks will slaughter them.

SHARKS: Isaac Gordon, Matthew Wright, Ben Pomeroy, Ricky Leutele, Nathan Stapleton, Wade Graham, Chad Townsend, Josh Cordoba, John Morris, Luke Douglas, Jeremy Smith, Taulima Tautai, Paul Gallen (capt). Interchange: Kade Snowden, Sam Tagataese, Paul Aiton, Anthony Tupou, Johnny Mannah, Nathan Gardner, Tyson Frizell (two to be omitted).

TITANS: Jordan Rankin, Steve Michaels, William Zillman, Dominique Peyroux, David Mead, Beau Henry, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Matt Srama, Matthew White, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Minichiello, Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: Brenton Lawrence, Will Matthews, Bodene Thompson, Preston Campbell.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Key: The Titans forwards have to stand up and provide a platform for embattled halfback Scott Prince to weave some magic, otherwise the Sharks will slaughter them.

It's not often one of these preview writers uses a word like 'slaughter'...

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Key: The Tita0ns forwards have to stand up and provide a platform for embattled halfback Scott Prince to weave some magic, otherwise the Sharks will slaughter them.

It's not often one of these preview writers uses a word like 'slaughter'...
    Yea the amount of desrespect out there for us is amazing. But that will just help us hunt under the radar in 2012. (I hope)

It's a shame that Gallen has returned, typical, we always face returning players. More often than not. But I still think we can win this. We have to.

I am pretty happy with the team named as well.

Sharks v Titans
    Toyota Stadium Saturday 7.30pm

Chances are the Toyota Stadium management have teamed their scoreboard operator with an assistant this week given these tackle-averse sides conceded a combined 96 points in losses to the Broncos and Knights last weekend.

The home side leaked eight soft tries to Brisbane – shaded by the Titans who slumped to a new season low when letting the Knights in for nine tries at Ausgrid Stadium. Between the two games they were the most and fourth-most points conceded by any side all year.

The Titans are left with a massive battle to avoid the wooden spoon; they sit in last place on the ladder, three points (effectively two wins) adrift of Parramatta. Meanwhile, even if the Sharks were to win all five of their remaining games, 28 competition points would still most likely see them fall one win and a couple of dozen for-and-against points shy of the finals zone.

All that’s left to compete for here is pride, bragging rights… and maybe even a few playing futures.

Quite a few team changes from the Sharks this week: in worrying news for the Titans the Sharks welcome back their powerhouse captain Paul Gallen after a fortnight out with a calf strain. His inclusion sees Jeremy Smith shift back to the second row, pushing Tyson Frizell to the extended bench. Paul Aiton also makes his return, named on the bench.

But the Sharks will be sweating on the fitness of mercurial fullback Nathan Gardner, who has been named on the bench – Isaac Gordon has been named at fullback to cover for him. Another blow is the loss of Colin Best (hamstring); he’s been replaced by rookie Ricky Leutele.

Elsewhere Ben Pomeroy will start at centre, with Matthew Wright moving to wing and pushing John Williams from the squad. Taulima Tautai has been named in the second row, with Anthony Tupou benched. Johnny Mannah rounds out their extended interchange.

Meanwhile injuries and poor form have forced John Cartwright to reshuffle his side; they’ll be without injured impact player Greg Bird, with Luke O’Dwyer replacing him at lock. Centre Clinton Toopi has been punted, with Dominique Peyroux moving from wing to centre and Steve Michaels recalled on the flank. Matt White returns to partner Luke Bailey in the front row with Anthony Laffranchi dropping back to the second row and Bodene Thompson benched. Matt Srama will start at hooker after paying from the bench last week, with Preston Campbell relegated to the pine. Will Matthews is the new face on the bench.

It’s a huge challenge for the Titans – no Gold Coast side ever won in the shire in 10 attempts!

Watch Out Sharks: If Scott Prince gets some room to move and time to think and has some willing supports he can make a dent in the Sharks from close range. The stats show the Sharks have conceded 18 tries off select passes close to their try line – the third most by any side.

Last week the ravenous Broncos put 11 line-breaks past the Sharks, the most by a team all year – and although they’ve struggled in this department the Titans still have a few troops capable of busting them open. Winger David Mead has 11 line-breaks to his name as well as 48 tackle-breaks, while centre William Zillman has seven line-breaks. Again, Prince is the man most likely to help his team-mates through; he has a team-high eight line-break assists.

The Titans favour a left-side attack and they may gain some unprecedented success this week coming up against the Sharks’ right-side defenders who have conceded 31 tries compared to 25 on the other side of the park.

Having said that Brisbane targeted the Sharks’ right side last week, crossing for seven tries, so Luke O’Dwyer and David Mead may combine to wreak some havoc there.

Danger Sign: If the Titans head right often you’ll know they’re playing mind games with the Sharks’ left-side defenders who were simply paper-thin with their tackles last week. The Titans scored three tries on the right side against the Knights.

Watch Out Titans: The Gold Coast players slipped off their tackles last week like the Knights’ players were covered in Funnel Web spiders, their 56 misses were the seventh most in a game this year. They need to turn things around or hard-running Sharks like Paul Gallen (62 tackle-breaks and an NRL-high 178 metres a game), Nathan Gardner, should he play (12 line-breaks, 100 tackle-breaks – third most by any player) and Wade Graham (10 line-breaks, 60 tackle-breaks) will run riot.

Kicks have really brought the Titans unstuck this year – the side has conceded 23 tries to the boot, more than any other team. The Sharks have had good success from kicks, scoring 12 tries.

With a greater share of possession this week the Sharks can make the most of their offloading skills. The team ranks fourth for offloads (12.9 a game) with Anthony Tupou their most dangerous with 47 made. Paul Gallen (36) and Ben Pomeroy (21) are threats too. The Titans need to wrap up these players and be especially alert near their try line – they’ve conceded eight tries from offloads.

Given their struggle to score points the Titans really need to make sure they give themselves every chance and execute correctly – they’ve conceded 16 penalties while in possession! D’oh!

Danger Sign: Only the Cowboys have more trouble defusing cross-field bombs than the Titans, who fumble the ball a worrying 67 per cent of the time. And overall the Titans are the least assured when fielding kicks, escaping problems just 60 per cent of times. You can bet Chad Townsend will launch plenty of aerial raids.

Plays To Watch: Nathan Gardner’s zippiness (102 metres and six tackle-breaks against the Broncos last week); Anthony Tupou’s offloads; Luke Douglas’ cart-ups; Paul Gallen’s no-fear charges; Scott Prince’s involvement to salvage some pride; Beau Henry’s clever flick passes; David Mead’s speed; Luke Bailey’s commitment (15 runs, 134 metres and 35 tackles last week).

Where It Will Be Won: In attitude. For the most part last week the Titans looked like they’d clocked off and weren’t prepared to put their bodies on the line in defence, especially in the second half when they gave up the ghost and conceded 34 points; meanwhile the Sharks were psychologically shattered by a far superior opponent. Whichever team shrugs off the funk and turns up prepared and focused will get the competition points.

The History: Played 7; Sharks 4, Titans 3. The Sharks have won the past two games between the sides, including a 36-12 win at Skilled Park in Round 16. The Titans have lost all three games at Toyota Stadium.

Conclusion: The Titans owe John Cartwright. There isn’t a more passionate mentor in the game and to see some of the insipid efforts from his ‘reputation’ players this year… well, in the words of Dragons coach Wayne Bennett: “It makes you sick in the stomach.”

Whether they can turn things around so dramatically in a week though remains to be seen.

The Sharks were similarly dismal and even though they are done for 2011 there are some players who need to put in for the rest of the year to guarantee they figure in coach Shane Flanagan’s plans in 2012. At home, they have more upside – just.

The Sharks by a converted try.

Match Officials: Referees – Gavin Badger & David Munro; Sideline Officials – Steve Chiddy & Grant Atkins; Video Ref – Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7.30pm (viewer’s choice), delayed 9.20pm.

* Stats: NRL Stats

http://www.nrl.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Yea the amount of desrespect out there for us is amazing. But that will just help us hunt under the radar in 2012. (I hope)

It's a shame that Gallen has returned, typical, we always face returning players. More often than not. But I still think we can win this. We have to.

I am pretty happy with the team named as well.
    DIEHARD by name DIEHARD by nature. I am with you on this one mate. We will get them and silence the critics for at least one day anyway. They will no doubt still try and stick the knife into us no matter how we are going.

Gallen passed fit to take on Titans

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen passed a fitness test on Friday and is expected to return from injury against Gold Coast at Toyota Stadium on Saturday night.

Gallen has been battling a calf injury and was forced into a rare two-week stint on the NRL sidelines.

But the courageous lock will risk further damage and lead his side out against the Titans after completing everything asked of him at the Sharks' final training session.

The only risk to Gallen taking the field for the do-or-die clash is if he wakes up on Saturday morning and the pain from his torn calf has intensified.

Fullback Nathan Gardner will play for Cronulla's NSW Cup side.

Despite being left out of the 17 at the beginning of the week, there was some chance Gardner would still play, but it's now been confirmed that after a run of poor form he'll make way for Isaac Gordon at the back.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan said Gardner and Colin Best weren't scapegoats for last week's flogging by Brisbane, and declared the lightning fast No.1 and the experienced centre would make it back to first grade.

"No, he's (Gardner) not a scapegoat, Nathan hasn't been at his best over the last month, he's been battling a few niggling injuries which has affected his form a little bit and the bloke that's replaced him there Ike (Isaac) Gordon has been playing really well," Flanagan said.

"He's a great player and he'll come back from it.

"Colin Best ... he's been great for us over the year. He didn't have a great game last week but he wasn't on his own, that's for sure. I needed to make a couple of changes and where and whom was a tough decision, and he'll just have a rest this week and be back bigger and better."

Cronulla are six competition points out of the top eight picture, but Flanagan says the topsy-turvy nature of the NRL means his Sharks can't give up yet.

Flanagan needs Newcastle and Wests Tigers to fall into significant holes over the final five weeks and the Sharks would need to win every remaining game to be any chance.

"We've won four in a row (this season) and there's five games left and we're confident that we can win all of our games," he said.

"Our form over the last couple of weeks has been poor, and we've all put our hands up and admitted to that.

"We're in a situation now where we're still in control of our own destiny a little bit, if we win five games we can probably scrape in there, but we've got to win five games and that's a tough job."

Wooden spoon favourites the Titans will now have the added motivation of playing for veteran Preston Campbell, who announced on Friday he will retire at season's end.

Campbell won the 2001 Dally M medal while playing for the Sharks and with the emotion of calling it a day running through him, the utility will be primed for a big one against his former side.

nrl