Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Newcastle Knights wary of former teammate Beau Henry in match against Gold Coast Titans

IF Newcastle coach Rick Stone had his way, Beau Henry would be lining up against Gold Coast on Sunday at Ausgrid Stadium.
    Instead, the new Titans five-eighth will be plotting against his former club after being shown the door mid-season by the Knights.

Previous experience tells Stone to be more than a little wary of a player with a point to prove.

Three weeks ago, he was burnt by another Knights discard, Cory Paterson.

Less than a month after being cut loose by the club, Paterson returned to Newcastle with the North Queensland Cowboys and set up a try and scored the game sealer in an upset win.

Understandably, Stone is not looking for history to repeat itself on Sunday.

"They are both young blokes who had to leave the club through professional circumstances,"Stone said.

"The decision with both of them was not mine.

"I was the one who brought Beau to our club. I wouldn't have done that if I was going to let him go halfway through the first year of a three-year deal.

"He is a long term first grader who I'm sure will prove that at the Titans if John Cartwright is patient with him. Having Scott Prince there will be good for him too."

Clearly, Stone sees the potential in Henry that in-coming Knights coach Wayne Bennett doesn't.

Newcastle still have an injury cloud over halfback Jarrod Mullen. He's expected to be ruled out today with Stone tipped to push Kurt Gidley into a halfback showdown with rival Gold Coast skipper Scott Prince.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Even Bennett gets it wrong every once in a while Hope this is one of those times.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eelectrica View Post
    Even Bennett gets it wrong every once in a while Hope this is one of those times.
    Well Bennett is only human, and he's even dropped Wally Lewis for no reason, personally I think he's a bit too media hungry with all his mind games and such. Although I can't help but think that if he was our coach, we'd be certainties for the premiership. No offense to Carty.

Bennett also made the world's greatest 5/8th play centre and second row!!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Match Preview Round 21: Knights v Titans
    newcastleknights.com.au

VENUE AND TIME: Ausgrid Stadium, Sunday 31st July 2011
    COVERAGE: Fox Sports LIVE
    LAST TIME: Knights 24 d Titans 16
    HISTORY: Played 7, Knights 4, Titans 3

The Coal & Allied Newcastle Knights return home on Sunday afternoon for their round 21 match against the Gold Coast Titans.
    An 18 point win over the Cronulla Sharks last weekend has kept the Knights finals hopes alive with the team now sitting in 8th position.
    The Titans find themselves wooden spoon contenders after struggling to find the form that saw them catapulted into the finals last year.
    “There are no easy games in the NRL,” Kurt Gidley said.
    “We were complacent against the Cowboys a couple of weeks ago and we can’t afford to be this weekend.”

HOW THEY LINE UP
    The Knights worked extremely hard to hold out the Sharks last weekend and will be looking to do the same when they come up against the Titans on Sunday.
    “I was pretty happy with the boys focus and resolve last week,” Rick Stone said.
    “The team really applied themselves to the cause and we need the same kind of attitude this week”.
    During round 20 the Titans were unlucky to come up with a win after performing strongly during their 20-28 loss to the Cowboys.

KEY PLAYERS
    The Knights forward pack has been given a huge boost with the return of Neville Costigan and Evarn Tuimavave.
    Stone may be forced to make some last minute changes to his line up if talented half back Jarrod Mullen doesn’t recover in time to take the field on Sunday.
    After leaving the Knights mid-season to take up a contract with the Titans, Beau Henry will make his way back to Newcastle in the hope of getting one up on his former Club.
    Henry will take his place at five-eighth alongside dynamic half back Scott Prince.

HISTORY
    These two teams have not met since 2010 when the Knights defeated the Titans 16-24 at Skilled Park.

MY PICK
    The Knights will not disappoint when they come up against the Titans on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/

Hopefully we can score some points early and put them on the back foot. The Knights aren't full of points.

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Hopefully we can score some points early and put them on the back foot. The Knights aren't full of points.
    Sadly neither of the Titans, Although last Saturday we showed more than we have in a while. Hope that continues.

Titans sweating on Prince

THE Gold Coast Titans are sweating on the fitness of skipper Scott Prince, who is in doubt to take on Newcastle tomorrow after struggling all week with the flu.

Prince, who has been quarantined from teammates since Monday, is scheduled to have a hit-out at the Titans final training session today, where he will undergo a fitness test.

If Prince fails to front, Preston Campbell will move into halfback with Kayne Lawton drafted on to the interchange bench.

Lawton this week re-signed with the club for 2012.

In other team changes from the side that lost against the Cowboys last week, 22-year-old Dom Peyroux will make his NRL debut on the wing in place of Steve Michaels (concussion).

Departing Titan Anthony Laffranchi will play his 200th career match against the Knights, after making his debut for the Tigers in 2001.

He played 102 matches for the Tigers (2001-06) before joining the Titans.

Laffranchi needs just one more try to overtake Mat Rogers (32) as the Titans all-time leading try scorer.

For more on this story see today's Gold Coast Bulletin.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Gold Coast are ready to roll, says Stone

RICK STONE believes that, sooner or later, Gold Coast are going to make someone pay. He just hopes it is not Newcastle at Ausgrid Stadium tomorrow.

A top-four team last season, the Titans are languishing in last place on the ladder after just four wins from their 18 matches this year. The wooden spoon favourites have lost five games on the spin and were dead and buried as finals contenders more than a month ago. Their attacking (259 points) and defensive (434 points) statistics are the worst in the NRL.

Yet the Gold Coast squad still features a generous sprinkling of class players such as Scott Prince, Greg Bird, Luke Bailey and Preston Campbell, and Stone has reason to be wary.

If the Knights are serious about making the finals, then games like this need to be won. Not only are the two competition points crucial to Newcastle, who are clinging to eighth place, but with six rounds left in the regular season, it is time to start building momentum.

''We've nominated this three-game block as pivotal for us, in our aspirations to playing semi-final footy,'' Stone said yesterday. ''That hasn't changed. This is an important game, absolutely … I was pretty happy with the boys' focus and resolve last week [in the 18-0 win against Cronulla] and application to the cause. We need the same sort of attitude this week.''

Knights skipper Kurt Gidley said overconfidence was ''a real trap any player can fall into'' and his teammates were guilty of that when they lost to North Queensland. ''It's a bit of a cliche, but there are no easy games in the NRL,'' he said.

''These games are possibly ones that we've dropped in the past. We need to focus as best we can and we need to win this game.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

Aiding the enemy: Joey's secret session lifts Titans for Knights clash

FORMER Newcastle captain Andrew Johns ran a secret skills session for Gold Coast's playmakers this week before their game against the Knights at Ausgrid Stadium tomorrow.

Sources on the Gold Coast told the Herald yesterday that Johns and Titans coach John Cartwright tried to keep the Monday training run with skipper Scott Prince, former Knights five-eighth Beau Henry and rookie hooker Matt Srama under wraps to avoid suggestions Newcastle's greatest player was ''sleeping with the enemy''.

Prince blew the cover yesterday in his column in the Gold Coast Bulletin newspaper, writing that he hoped the ''masterclass'' with his boyhood idol would help him regain his touch as the Titans try to end a five-game losing streak and avoid their first wooden spoon.

Advertisement: Story continues below
    ''It felt surreal,'' Prince wrote. ''I have played against Joey and I know him well enough to seek him out in a crowded room and sit down and have a chat with him. But this was different. This was him and me, one-on-one, working on my game.

''There is something special about working with someone who has stood where you stand, faced what you face on a weekly basis and who has done it as well as anyone in the game ever has.

''Even more amazing was that although Joey retired five years ago, he is still brilliant with ball in hand. As we progressed through the session, he didn't just tell me how a play should happen. He executed kicks and passes with incredible precision. He still has it.''

Apart from his commentary roles with Channel Nine and Triple M, Johns works as a coaching consultant with several NRL clubs including Melbourne, Manly and Canberra. He held a similar position this year at Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels.

The Knights were one of his clients from the time of his retirement in April 2007 due to a neck injury until last November, when he and the club's management could not negotiate acceptable terms on a new deal.

His older brother Matthew took up that role in February, but he has been unable to continue those commitments since the end of April, when he began working full-time as a breakfast host on Triple M. That means Matthew Johns will not be part of Wayne Bennett's coaching staff next year, and it remains to be seen whether Bennett and Knights owner Nathan Tinkler will try to lure Andrew back.

Prince explained that during his formative years at North Queensland, he used to study videotapes of Andrew Johns, ''digesting every move he made''. ''This week, almost a decade-and-a-half later, again I was learning from Joey, except this time he was there, right in front of me, in the flesh,'' Prince wrote.

''Like most great mentors, the advice Joey gave me was not ground-breaking or out of left field. He just went back to basics.

''He gave me confidence my game was far from broken but could certainly be boosted with a couple of tweaks. And those tweaks were simple things that over the years you forget, or downplay their importance. It was a great session, an informative masterclass that I hope will happen on regular occasions in the future.''

During his eight months at the Knights, Henry did not train with Andrew Johns, but appreciated the opportunity with the Titans on Monday. ''We had a little run together and while it's not going to click straight away, we're very close to being where we want to be,'' Henry told the Gold Coast Bulletin. ''My position is to try and help Scotty out and if I can take a little bit of the pressure off him, that's what I'm here for.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

Wonder boy Jordan Rankin in line to replace Preston Campbell at Titans

HE was the teenage wonder boy who temporarily drifted off the NRL radar.

But tomorrow night the 19-year-old runs out to again face the Knights buoyed by a 12-month extension that gives Rankin a golden chance to cement the Titans No.1 jumper formerly occupied by Campbell.

The level-headed rookie entered the top grade as a playmaker, but a mid-season shift to the backfield this season has re-ignited Rankin's self-belief and running game.

Gold Coast football manager Scott Clark said the club was happy to reward Rankin with a new deal after his outstanding form in the under-20s this season, headlined by a man-of-the-match display against the Cowboys last week.

"With Luke Capewell moving on (to the Broncos), it gives Jordan the chance to continue to improve as a footballer and cement a spot in the NRL over the next few years," Clark said.

"We've kept it (Rankin's new deal) pretty low key, we just want Jordan to focus on his football.

"Since he's moved back to fullback in the under-20s he's been outstanding. He got left out (of the NRL) last week and went back to NYC and got man of the match so it shows the character of the bloke, he's not one to drop his bundle.

"Jordan hasn't ruled out playing five-eighth but we see him as a fullback next year.

"We've got Beau Henry and Aiden Sezer as five-eighth options next year, but with Luke Capewell leaving and Presto getting towards the end, Jordo now has the chance to cement that fullback spot."

A Burleigh junior, Rankin plays his fourth NRL match tomorrow and, despite his two-year NRL hiatus, the Titans are pleased with his development.

"Whether it was right to pick him at 16 is debatable. The expectation was huge and Jordo had to come to terms with that," Clark said.

"There was a lot of pressure on Jordo to perform, but we don't want him to worry about that and he knows he's got the ability to make it in the NRL.

"Jordan is at the stage now where if you put the last three years out of the picture, you'd say he's developing perfectly."

Titans coach John Cartwright will blood another rookie tomorrow night, with powerful winger Dom Peyroux to debut in Newcastle after Steve Michaels was concussed against the Cowboys last week.

Halfback Scott Prince will start despite a bout of the flu, while St Helens-bound backrower Anthony Laffranchi celebrates his 200th top grade game against the Knights.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/

QLD Cup

Good to see Rankin re-signed but its strange that there was no mention of Zillman as the fullback in waiting. A convenient oversight to create a better article perhaps? Despite one promising game at centre it's hard to see Zillman playing anywhere but fullback or wing in next years roster.

yeh it seems the media always fogets zillman type thing. Unless Rankin blows my mind away for the rest of the season i cant see anoyone else getting that one jumper next year

Looks like we will have a stand in Coach tomorrow after Carty was rushed to hospital with suspected appendices & won't be heading to Newcastle ...

Get well soon Boss , Murphy can't coach
    #itaintweaktospeak

It will be interesting to see how the team plays without Carty in Newcastle.
    Hopefully Carty's support team don't over coach and allow the senior players to step up and win a game for themselves...not for the fans or anyone else...just for their own pride and help each other show the skills they already have.

I tipped the Titans this week...even though they're up against a very good team in Newcastle...I haven't tipped them in a long time but feel they are due.

I think the side will be strengthened with the new fullback and winger.