Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    My sentiments exactly. Unless Carty is honestly planning on sticking with Zilly in the centres for next year, he should move back to fullback and stay there. However, if Carty's plan is to keep Zilly in the centres and have Idris move to the backrow then I'm happy with the team announced this week.
    i was looking forward to having idris inside gordon
    but going by idris form this year, maybe he is better suited to the back row due to his lazy'ness sometimes :S
    dnt know. just seems odd. but iam hoping rainkin shows us something we havnt seen from him the rest of the season and makes no. 1 his own

Knights sweating on Mullen, Gidley

Newcastle's two most influential players, captain Kurt Gidley and halfback Jarrod Mullen, will be nursed through training this week to give them every chance of playing against Gold Coast at Ausgrid Stadium on Sunday.

Knights coach Rick Stone said scans had revealed Mullen has a new pectoral muscle tear, but it was not as serious as the one that sidelined him for six weeks midway through the season, and Gidley was still being treated for an ongoing hamstring problem.

Gidley was named at fullback and is considered a probable starter but Mullen rated himself only a 50-50 chance of lining up in the halves alongside Ryan Stig against veteran Titans skipper Scott Prince and former Knights pivot Beau Henry.

Stig is being treated for a groin strain but is expected to play, and Stone said there were two options if Mullen could not prove his fitness ? promoting Tyrone Roberts from the NSW Cup side as a straight replacement, or shifting Gidley to the halves and calling Peter Mata?utia out of the NYC team to play fullback.

Mullen said yesterday that he still felt sore but ??if it settles down by Friday, I should be right??.

He suffered the injury in Newcastle?s 18-0 victory over the Sharks last Saturday, which was his third game back from the more significant tear he sustained against Parramatta on May 28.

Stone said he was prepared to give Mullen as long as possible but would like to know by Saturday?s final training session if he was going to be available.

??We?ll monitor Jarrod in the next few days and make a decision later in the week,?? he said.

Gidley participated in some of the drills at training yesterday, and Stone said he would be on light duties until later in the week.

Prop Richie Fa?aoso has been ruled out after suffering a minor hamstring tear against the Sharks and will be replaced by Evarn Tuimavave, who is returning after missing four games with a hamstring tear.

Stone said Tuimavave missed training yesterday due to a stomach virus that had affected other players in recent weeks, but it was not expected to prevent him from playing on Sunday.

??We?ve had a little bit of that through the squad in the last week or two, and it?s not ideal, but I spoke to Evarn [yesterday] and he?s hoping to be back at training [today],?? he said.

Another prop, Dan Tolar, was not named in any grade as he is still being treated for an Achilles tendon injury but Stone said he could be considered later in the week.

Stone said centre Adam MacDougall (knee) was in the same situation as Tolar.

Second-rower Neville Costigan was named to return after missing the Cronulla game with a knee problem that flared up after his premature comeback against Manly the previous week.

Costigan missed two matches after surgery to repair torn cartilage in his right knee and, though he conceded that he rushed back against the Sea Eagles before he was ready, said yesterday that he was confident of completing the season with no further knee problems.

??I had a bit of a run this morning and it feels a lot better than last week, so I?m pretty confident for this weekend,?? Costigan said yesterday.

??I reckon now I?ll be able to get through game after game. I just needed to give it one more week, so I think I came back a week too early last time.??

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc.../rugby-league/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Stone urges Newcastle Knights not to take clash with Titans lightly

Knights coach Rick Stone has warned his players to disregard Gold Coast’s lowly ladder position and show them the required respect in the game at Ausgrid Stadium on Sunday.

A top-four team for the past two seasons, the Titans have struggled to just four wins this year to be last on 12 points – two behind the equally disappointing Roosters.

The Titans have lost their past five games, and their only win from their past 10 matches was on June 10 at Kogarah against a Dragons team missing their State of Origin representatives.

Stone said the Knights learnt a painful lesson when they took the wrong attitude into their July 11 home game against North Queensland, who were missing inspirational skipper Johnathan Thurston but still won 22-12.

‘‘Unfortunately we all look at the table and look at our position on eighth and the Titans’ position on 16th and think there’s a massive gap between the two teams, but we all know the difference between the first and last team in the NRL is not a great deal,’’ Stone said yesterday. ‘‘We can’t look at the table and think that’s going to take care of the result for you, so that’s the most important thing for us – turning up, making sure we get through the process pretty well and we’re ready to play with the right sort of energy.’’

Stone said the presence of skilful skipper Scott Prince, former Knights five-eighth Beau Henry, and representative forwards Greg Bird, Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello and Anthony Laffranchi would ensure the Titans tested Newcastle’s defence.

‘‘They’ve still got some quality players,’’ he said.

‘‘They’ve got some blokes who can score some tries, a good forward pack, Scotty Prince is a great organising halfback, and even though he’s been a bit maligned this year about his form, obviously his kicking game ... is always important, and pretty tough to control, and they score a lot of tries out of that.’’

? Shannon McDonnell’s manager, Steve Gillis, has denied speculation linking the off-contract Knights fullback to Welsh-based English Super League club the Crusaders.

Gillis said he hoped to finalise McDonnell’s immediate future in the next few days but claimed he hadn’t spoken to the Crusaders.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc.../rugby-league/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Peyroux to make NRL debut with Titans

BIG-hitting outside back Dom Peyroux has vowed to 'go all out' against the Newcastle Knights on Sunday after being handed his long-awaited NRL debut.

In a further show the Titans are using the final rounds to look to the future, 22-year-old Peyroux will line up on the wing in place of Steve Michaels, who looks set to miss at least a fortnight as he recovers from a serious concussion suffered against the Cowboys at the weekend.

Standing 185cm tall and weighing 96kg, Peyroux has been steadily making a name for himself in the Queensland Cup, with his take-no-prisoners approach in both attack and defence proving a highlight this season for undefeated Titans feeder club Tweed Heads

"Sometimes you need to play it safe and hold back and other times you really want to smash someone to make a point.

"I guess we will see what happens.

"I will just do what I do best, and try my hardest for the team.

"This is my first game but I will be playing as if it is my last."

The road to the NRL has not been an easy one for Peyroux.

The New Zealand-born winger-centre first came to Australia as a 17-year-old and was quickly signed by the Sydney Roosters.

He featured heavily in the Roosters' 2008 under-20s side before moving to the Gold Coast with his family and first linking with the Titans uner-20s in 2009, representing the Cook Islands that same year.

But after failing to win a first-grade contract, Peyroux refused to throw in the towel and returned to Tweed Heads to carve out his NRL dream.

A boom season in the Queensland Cup last year led to a fringe deal with the Titans in 2011 and his impressive performances this season have seen it already extended out to 2012.

He still works as a removalist and labourer in between training sessions to make ends meet.

"But at the end of the day it has been about chasing the dream and not the money," he said.

"It has been hard at times, like when you look at all these young stars like (William) Hopoate coming through the ranks and you are still playing Queensland Cup.

"But I just thought to myself that I have got to persevere until I get an opportunity to make a name for myself and my family.

"A lot of players take the opportunities they have for granted, being able to play the sport they love and being paid to do it.

"I have done it the hard way and I appreciate all the support my family have given me."

Peyroux's proud father Malcolm, who is of Cook Island/French descent, and mum Rosa, who is Samoan-Solomon Islander, are fixtures at every Tweed Heads home game.

"Dad is my No.1 supporter, he loves it," Peyroux said.

"Mum is my biggest critic.

"If I have a bad game she will always tell me that I could have played better.

"So then I would always try and prove her wrong next game.

"It has been awesome having her and dad behind me."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/

I was erading the on-line papers this morning and one of them has reported that Mullen will miss Sunday's game. I think it was the Daily Telegraph.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    Dominique Peyroux has a tough 1st up assignment taking on the NRLs best winger in Uate. Im going to go out on a limb and say Dom will win this battle
    Idk about Uate being the NRL's best winger, maybe second best, I'd pick Gordon over him anytime, he's faster, has an ability to create something out of nothing, and he would have been contention for the comps leading try scorers over the last couple of years if we actually passed to our wingers every now and again. But then again maybe I'm just bias lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastTitanFan View Post
    Idk about Uate being the NRL's best winger, maybe second best, I'd pick Gordon over him anytime, he's faster, has an ability to create something out of nothing, and he would have been contention for the comps leading try scorers over the last couple of years if we actually passed to our wingers every now and again. But then again maybe I'm just bias lol.
    Yeah, I would too but you can't rate Gordon when he hasn't played all year!

....and yeah, you are bias, just like the rest of us.

The milestone curse better not strike again!!

Default Milestones are millstones for Titans

Wayne Heming AAP Wed, Jul 27, 2011 - 4:15 PM

Battling cellar dwellers Gold Coast can be forgiven for wishing it wasn't popular forward Anthony Laffranchi's 200th NRL game against Newcastle on Saturday, with milestone games proving millstones around their neck this season.

With just four wins in 2011, the Titans are fighting to avoid the wooden spoon and would love to celebrate Laffranchi's special achievement with a win.

However they have reason to be concerned - the Titans have lost five of their six games in which players have celebrated career landmarks.

It's made them so paranoid about the milestone jinx that champion halfback Scott Prince went out of his way last weekend to keep the media focus off his 100th game for the club.

The hoodoo looked dead and buried with the Titans leading North Queensland 12-0 only to lose 28-20.

Preston Campbell (250 NRL games), Scott Prince (250 NRL games and 100 games for the club), Luke Bailey (200 NRL games) and Mat Rogers, who recently came out of retirement to play his 200th NRL game, all lost their milestone games this year.

The only player to celebrate a win was departing hooker Nathan Friend, the first Titan to play 100 games against the Sydney Roosters in round eight.

Laffranchi was aware of the poor run when asked about his 200th game at the weekend.

"Personally I feel good (about it) but I think we've had a few this year that haven't been on the back end of good results," said the 30-year-old forward,

Reminded that Prince didn't want to mention his milestone before the Cowboys game, Laffranchi said he regarded it as a personal achievement to be proud of.

"You wouldn't think you'd play one or 10 let alone 200," he said.

"It's a great achievement but the focus is on getting a win against Newcastle on Sunday."

Laffranchi, who will join English Super League club St Helens after this season, said the Titans needed to play for a full 80 minutes after a 10-minute lapse let the Cowboys back in the game.

The former Wests Tigers forward said he wanted to end his days with the Titans on a winning note and not leave the club without giving his best in his last few games.

"You always want to win and finish on a high," he said.

"If I look back on my career at the Titans, it's been a great five years and very successful.

"I've played all my rep footy and my best footy here at the club under Carty (John Cartwright) and the playing group here.

"I've got fond memories of the Titans and I've reached some milestones as well."

Laffranchi said while it was a disappointing end he was still enjoying training and being around the boys.

It hasn't been all lows either for Laffranchi, who won a grand final with the Tigers in 2005 and represented NSW and Australia while playing with the Titans.

"There's a few highlights I can look back on when I finish after 11 seasons in the NRL," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastTitanFan View Post
    I think it's a case of you being bias but that's ok cause I rate Mead over Gordon everyday of the week

Uates form has been outstanding for alot of this year and is pretty much dangerous everytime he touches the ball. I wouldnt be surprised if he has 30-40 more tackle breaks per year than every other winger out there and it's not a fact that Kev is faster...yet to be proven

Knights hope history won't repeat

NEWCASTLE coach Rick Stone is hoping the second player the club released mid-season does not come back to bite them when the Knights host the Titans on Sunday.

Newcastle coach Rick Stone says he hopes history won't repeat when the Knights face Beau Henry

Young play maker Beau Henry made his debut for the Gold Coast last week after he was granted a release by the Knights to join the Gold Coast following the announcement super coach Wayne Bennett will take over next year.

Like Cory Paterson who was told he was not wanted for 2012, they were granted a midyear release, a move which came to haunt the club when Paterson put in a stellar performance in his side?s 22-12 victory just weeks ago.

?Let?s hope he doesn?t do a 'Patto' on us,? Stone told sportsnewsfirst.com.au.

?Patto hurt us that night for the Cowboys.

"Both those blokes, particularly Beau, I?ve always got some time for. I?ve believed in their ability.

"It was a conscious decision for the individual that we let them go we thought it was best for them and their footy career.

?I wish Beau well but I hope he plays better the following week.?

Henry played six games for Newcastle this year after he was made their first choice partner for Jarrod Mullen at the beginning of the year.

He measures 188cm and weighs 96kg, the Toyota Cup Player-of-the-Year in 2009 with the Dragons, Henry made his NRL debut in Round 1 this year for the Knights, playing six games before suffering an ankle injury.

Stone, the man who handed Henry his start, knows better than anyone what the 21-year-old is capable of producing.

?Beau is a good natural footy player that has some good natural instincts particularly in attack,? Stone said.

?He?s a good runner of the ball close to the line hes got a good kicking game and decent running game as well.

"I?ve got some confidence in him otherwise I wouldn?t have got him to the club in the first place and I still believe he can be a long term first grader.?

As much potential that the youngster possesses, former Queensland halfback Scott Prince is the man Stone is worried most about.

?Any team regardless of how they?re going with Scotty Prince is always a danger sign,? said Stone.

?The Titans probably have been down on their luck a bit, struggling for confidence but he can click in on any given day.

?Our focus has to be fairly acute to be honest.

?We?ve got an eight day turn around to make sure we?re ready to play because every time we?ve got the Titans be it at home or away it?s always been a tough battle.?

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au

Knights halfback Jarrod Mullen not clear for clash with Titans

Knights halfback Jarrod Mullen will err on the side of caution and withdraw from Sunday’s clash with Gold Coast in Newcastle if he suspects a torn pectoral muscle will make him a ‘‘passenger’’.

Mullen aggravated the injury in last week’s 18-0 win against Cronulla and has been on restricted duties at training.

He has to convince Knights physician Neil Halpin tomorrow that he is ready for full contact and admitted yesterday that was no sure thing.

‘‘I don’t know,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m probably still 50-50 at this stage. Impact is a big part of the game and if I can’t be out there tackling, I’ll just be a passenger ... I’ll give it every chance, but I don’t want to put a bigger tear in it and be out for the season.’’

Mullen said he had been advised that he might need to take a week or two off to allow the injury time to heal.

‘‘But I’m a bit stubborn – I like to be out there playing,’’ he said.

Knights coach Rick Stone said that if there was any doubt about Mullen’s ability to get through the game intact, ‘‘we won’t be risking him’’.

Adding to Stone’s concern, playmaking alternatives Kurt Gidley and Ryan Stig are nursing niggling injuries.

Stig did not train yesterday because of a groin strain and Gidley is struggling to shrug off a hamstring complaint.

‘‘Ryan’s been battling some ongoing groin soreness,’’ Stone said. ‘‘He’s had a light time of it early in the week and we’ve taken the opportunity with the longer turnaround to give him a little bit of a break.

‘‘He’ll be back at training on Friday and he shouldn’t have any dramas.’’

Of Gidley, Stone said: ‘‘Kurt trained lightly today ... we didn’t want to load him up.

‘‘He was a little bit tired after yesterday’s session.

‘‘He’s had a light session today and with some more physio and massage we expect him to train fully on Friday.’’

Prop Evarn Tuimavave, who has missed four games with a hamstring injury, has been named to return on Sunday but was well below full capacity at training yesterday.

‘‘He’s been crook,’’ Stone said.

‘‘He’s over his hamstring problem, which is a good thing, but he’s been sick the last couple of days.

‘‘He went out to see our doc yesterday, because he’s had a vomiting and diarrhoea bug, which has knocked him around a little bit.

‘‘He came and did some light work, just to test out his hammy, and after a day off I’m hoping he’ll be fit and healthy to train on Friday, but I might have to see on that one.’’

AAP reports: Retiring skipper Darren Lockyer says Brisbane have hit the jackpot with club legend Petero Civoniceva returning to guide the Broncos’ exciting young players next season.

Brisbane have developed several future top-line players including fullback Josh Hoffman, winger Jharal Yow Yeh, emerging centre Jack Reed and forwards Matt Gillett and Alex Glenn.

Whether Civoniceva inherits Lockyer’s captaincy during his one-year homecoming is secondary to what he can offer Brisbane’s young crop of forwards, who will learn from one of rugby league’s finest and most respected front-rowers.

Having a player such as Civoniceva during the transitional period, when they adjust to life without their champion captain and playmaker, is a big bonus for rookie coach Anthony Griffin and something Lockyer believes will be priceless.

‘‘He’ll be a wonderful asset to all those young forwards still learning the trade who’ll now get the chance to learn from one of the greats,’’ Lockyer said.

Lockyer has shrugged off fears that a hamstring twinge could sideline him from tomorrow night’s clash with Cronulla as he draws closer to another personal record of playing more games than anyone in league history.

http://bigpondnews.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Wayne Heming AAP Wed, Jul 27, 2011 - 4:15 PM

Battling cellar dwellers Gold Coast can be forgiven for wishing it wasn't popular forward Anthony Laffranchi's 200th NRL game against Newcastle on Saturday, with milestone games proving millstones around their neck this season.

With just four wins in 2011, the Titans are fighting to avoid the wooden spoon and would love to celebrate Laffranchi's special achievement with a win.

However they have reason to be concerned - the Titans have lost five of their six games in which players have celebrated career landmarks.

It's made them so paranoid about the milestone jinx that champion halfback Scott Prince went out of his way last weekend to keep the media focus off his 100th game for the club.

The hoodoo looked dead and buried with the Titans leading North Queensland 12-0 only to lose 28-20.

Preston Campbell (250 NRL games), Scott Prince (250 NRL games and 100 games for the club), Luke Bailey (200 NRL games) and Mat Rogers, who recently came out of retirement to play his 200th NRL game, all lost their milestone games this year.

The only player to celebrate a win was departing hooker Nathan Friend, the first Titan to play 100 games against the Sydney Roosters in round eight.

Laffranchi was aware of the poor run when asked about his 200th game at the weekend.

"Personally I feel good (about it) but I think we've had a few this year that haven't been on the back end of good results," said the 30-year-old forward,

Reminded that Prince didn't want to mention his milestone before the Cowboys game, Laffranchi said he regarded it as a personal achievement to be proud of.

"You wouldn't think you'd play one or 10 let alone 200," he said.

"It's a great achievement but the focus is on getting a win against Newcastle on Sunday."

Laffranchi, who will join English Super League club St Helens after this season, said the Titans needed to play for a full 80 minutes after a 10-minute lapse let the Cowboys back in the game.

The former Wests Tigers forward said he wanted to end his days with the Titans on a winning note and not leave the club without giving his best in his last few games.

"You always want to win and finish on a high," he said.

"If I look back on my career at the Titans, it's been a great five years and very successful.

"I've played all my rep footy and my best footy here at the club under Carty (John Cartwright) and the playing group here.

"I've got fond memories of the Titans and I've reached some milestones as well."

Laffranchi said while it was a disappointing end he was still enjoying training and being around the boys.

It hasn't been all lows either for Laffranchi, who won a grand final with the Tigers in 2005 and represented NSW and Australia while playing with the Titans.

"There's a few highlights I can look back on when I finish after 11 seasons in the NRL," he said.
    I think you will find Lafranchi has another milestone in 2 weeks. I am pretty sure this is his 98th game for the Titans..

Newcastle Knights v Gold Coast Titans

Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle, Sunday 2.00pm (AEST)
    Last meeting: Round 16 2010 - Knights 24 bt Titans 16 at Skilled Park
    Stats: Head-to-head
    Referees: Gavin Badger, Alan Shortall
    TV: Live, FoxSports 2
    TAB Sportsbet: Knights $1.40 Titans $3.00
    FootyTab: Titans +8.5

AAP writes: In terms of entertainment, this game, on paper, has all the appeal of neat gin for breakfast. The Titans look to have one eye on their summer holidays and look a shadow of the side that finished fourth last year. The Knights' 18-0 win over Cronulla last Saturday gave a whole new meaning to dour, but Rick Stone won't mind a repeat performance from his eighth-placed side, with tough games against the Warriors and Brisbane coming up in the next month. The Knights have not scored more than 20 points in a game in 14 weeks, and with the cellar-dwelling Titans winning just twice on their travels this year, free-flowing football could be a premium at Ausgrid Stadium.

Key: Jarrod Mullen is likely to miss the game through injury, can Knights young gun Ryan Stig continue his impressive form at halfback?

KNIGHTS: Kurt Gidley (capt), James McManus, Junior Sa'u, Keith Lulia, Akuila Uate, Ryan Stig, Jarrod Mullen, Evarn Tuimavave, Isaac De Gois, Antonio Kaufusi, Chris Houston, Neville Costigan, Joel Edwards. Interchange: Matt Hilder, Mark Taufua, Cameron Ciraldo, Zane Tetevano, Marvin Karawana (one to be omitted).

TITANS: Jordan Rankin, Dominique Peyroux, William Zillman, Clinton Toopi, David Mead, Beau Henry, Scott Prince (capt), Luke Bailey (capt), Matt Srama, Anthony Laffranchi, Bodene Thompson, Mark Minichiello, Greg Bird. Interchange: Matt White, Brenton Lawrence, Luke O'Dwyer, Preston Campbell.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

First ever Video Taped Podcast, with Coaster and Kevin Gordon
    On youtube click here to watch
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.