Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default U-20s suffer surprise setback

U-20s suffer surprise setback

A LACK of respect for the National Youth Cup cellar dwellers has consigned the North Queensland Cowboys Under-20s to their fifth loss of the 2011 season.

Cowboys coach Kristian Woolf admitted yesterday his players simply didn't give due credit to the Gold Coast Titans, who downed the young Cowboys 30-20 at Skilled Park on Saturday night.

It was the first loss in five weeks for the Cowboys, who now slip to fourth on the NYC table after previously sitting just one place behind the ladder-leading New Zealand Warriors.

Woolf said the Titans took full advantage of his team's below-par approach to the game.

"They (the Titans) didn't look like the side that's coming last and I guess we didn't show them enough respect and we paid the price," Woolf said.

"Any side is strong enough to beat the other, they're all good sides and you need to show up every week.

"They've been playing some decent footy and they certainly played enthusiastically yesterday and they played some good footy.

"I was really disappointed with our performance, it is a hard road trip going down there on the day of the game but it's no excuse - we weren't disciplined and we didn't play as well as we can so there's no excuses at all."

The Cowboys started the game on the right foot when five-eighth Michael Parker-Walshe opened the scoring with a try after four minutes, and although the Titans replied soon afterwards through Hymel Hunt, NQ soon regained the lead when Zac Santo latched onto Wayne Ulugia's one-handed offload and dived over in the corner.

The teams went to halftime at 12-all after Titan Alec Jones ran 35m untouched towards the Cowboys line on the back of a NQ error.

Another win looked likely for the Cowboys shortly after the break when Kyle Feldt and Chris Grevsmuhl posted a brace of unanswered tries to take NQ ahead 20-12, but three tries to the Titans in the final 20 minutes earned the home side their third win of the year.

"I think we were just guilty of trying to come up with the big plays too often and being really ill-disciplined and impatient with the footy," Woolf said.

"I don't think we were anywhere near committed enough with our defence.

"Defence has been a strong point for us for the majority of the year but we were breaking rules and we certainly didn't muscle up."

The Cowboys will now prepare for next week's clash with Penrith, who Woolf said would overwhelm his team with ease should they repeat Saturday night's efforts.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

[QUOTE=shamus;288252]going.....

going....

Quote Originally Posted by isaiah View Post
    2 trys early in the second half, gooooone[/Q UOTE]

evidently gone......

back again......

Oh...great win now was it! Please go away!
    not going anywhere because you want me to. was a good win and they were no chance of winning on exposed form. but can they string 2 wins together?