Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Am I missing something?

Maybe I am just stupid, but if we are playing Beau Henry at 5/8, and that is what we bought him for, and Capewell is leaving us to go to Brisbane (who I assumed we had brought to be 5/8, but whether FB or 5/8, he's going apparently), then why wouldn't Zillman be playing at FB? Surely that is the plan for next year? SURELY!!!!

I'll admit I don't even bother trying to pick/guess teams anymore, but I still don't understand why we aren't playing the best players at their best positions and filling the remaining gaps as best we can.

We buy players to play in certain positions right? Or is this part of a "confuse the opposition" game? Hasn't been working very well so far, but the Titans and the fans are certainly dumbfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Whiz View Post
    Am I missing something?

Maybe I am just stupid, but if we are playing Beau Henry at 5/8, and that is what we bought him for, and Capewell is leaving us to go to Brisbane (who I assumed we had brought to be 5/8, but whether FB or 5/8, he's going apparently), then why wouldn't Zillman be playing at FB? Surely that is the plan for next year? SURELY!!!!
    I think you are right Chris. And I think if current rumours play out, the situation will catch up with itself and we will make the changes that you refer to.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Am I missing something? Maybe I am just stupid ... and the fans are certainly dumbfounded.
    I doubt that there has ever been a more ridiculous scenario of mis-communication between a club and its supporter base. All those Titans stalwarts on here and contrary to some opinions I consider myself one of those, I think we all can take losing, we can all take defections but some of the eclectic selections smack of "no idea".
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Am I missing something?

I'll admit I don't even bother trying to pick/guess teams anymore, but I still don't understand why we aren't playing the best players at their best positions and filling the remaining gaps as best we can.

We buy players to play in certain positions right? Or is this part of a "confuse the opposition" game? Hasn't been working very well so far, but the Titans and the fans are certainly dumbfounded.
    Cartwright's use of Zillman this year has been nothing short of inept. As has his use of Campbell off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanic View Post
    All those Titans stalwarts on here and contrary to some opinions I consider myself one of those
    Your certainly are a Titans stalwart. I back that.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Scott in the mix for Titans clash

Toyota Cowboys co-captain Matthew Scott?s troublesome back is not 100% but it won?t stop him from playing in the round 20 NRL clash with the Gold Coast Titans on Saturday evening.

A frustrated Scott was forced to miss last weekend?s loss to Wests Tigers and coach Neil Henry said today that the side clearly missed the big prop?s on-field leadership.

Scott completed light training on Wednesday and was scheduled to have another run at Burleigh on Friday afternoon with Scott Bolton on standby should the back problem, which started about two weeks ago, flare up once again.

Fellow forwards Leeson Ah Mau and Joel Riethmuller, who were named in a 19-man squad on Tuesday, were not included in NQ?s travelling group.

?I feel pretty refreshed after the week off and I?m looking forward to Saturday night,? Scott said today.

?The back?s better for the week off I think.

?I?m not 100% but I?ve got two more full days to get better.

?I shouldn?t be restricted too much but it?s still not 100%.?

Scott said having his co-captain Johnathan Thurston, who is still sidelined by a knee injury, travel to the Coast with the 18-man squad would be a plus for the Cowboys, who are pushing for a top-four spot for the finals.

Thurston is still at least three weeks away from making his comeback but will be on hand to offer some guidance to 21-year-old halves Ben Jones and Ray Thompson, who have just over 50 NRL games between them.

?It?s good for the team and it?s good for the young halves in Ray and Benny Jones to have him along for a bit of support,? Scott said.

?He?ll probably have a quiet word in their ear.?

While the Cowboys are enjoying a bounce back season, the Titans have struggled all year and come into this weekend bottom of the NRL ladder with just four wins and very little chance of making the finals.

Scott said the Cowboys? own struggles in the recent past made him very cautious about facing the Coast at home.

?We were in this position last year," he said.

?Especially playing at home, they?ll be looking for a good performance.

?It?s one of those games we can?t take too lightly.

?We?ve got to play really well.?

http://www.cowboys.com.au

Default Prince praises Henry before Titans debut

Wayne Heming AAP Fri, Jul 22, 2011 - 3:57 PM

Gold Coast representative halfback Scott Prince has described five-eighth Beau Henry as a Brad Fittler or Trent Barrett in the making ahead of his first game for the club against North Queensland.

After a month of preparation, the former Warilla Gorilla junior is set to make his eagerly anticipated debut for the struggling Titans as Prince's future long-term halves partner.

Prince, who rated Henry highly even before the 21-year-old gambled his $100,000-a-season deal by shifting from Newcastle to the Titans mid-season, likes the youngster's skills.

"Without putting too much pressure on the kid, he's certainly got the ability," enthused Prince, who feels Henry can reduce the pressure on him with his passing and kicking game.

"He's the type of five-eighth .... the Brad Fittler, Trent Barrett type where he's big and possesses a good passing game and kicking game."

Prince was referring to Henry's 188cm, 96kg frame helping him take the line on like Fittler or Barrett.

The Toyota Cup player of the year with Newcastle in 2009, Henry played six games for the Knights before deciding to take a gamble with the Titans.

"Personally I think he's a very talented kid and he gets his shot tomorrow night. His training has been outstanding," said Prince.

"He can take a lot of pressure off me with the ball in hand and with the kicking as well.

"He's a big kid and he can be a handful close to the line."

Henry will come up against a young Cowboys halves pairing of Ben Jones and Ray Thompson, with skipper Johnathan Thurston still weeks away from returning from a knee injury.

Cowboys prop Matt Scott will travel down from Townsville wearing a back brace after missing last week's loss to the Wests Tigers.

Scott aggravated his back playing in the State of Origin series.

"It's not quite 100 per cent but I still got two days yet," he said on Friday morning.

Thurston will travel with the Cowboys and Scott said it would be goodfor Jones and Thompson to have him there for support.

Meanwhile Titans coach John Cartwright said his players definitely owed their loyal fans something after the club's poor start to the season.

"It's important that they see we're out there swinging," Cartwright said.

Cartwright wasn't surprised veteran prop Luke Bailey had gone out on a limb and suggested the side could win six of their last seven games.

"Luke's form for us has been super," he said.

"If we can get a few guys to believe and jump on the back of Bull (Bailey), I've got no doubt we can do it."

The game will be Prince's 100th for the club and his 254th since making his debut for the Cowboys against Canberra in 1998.

However with Preston Campbell (250 games), Bailey (200 games) and Prince himself (250 games) all losing on big milestone nights already this season, he wasn't keen to make a big deal of the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    Cartwright's use of Zillman this year has been nothing short of inept. As has his use of Campbell off the bench.
    You are not wrong, he should have played 20 games a fullback this year. Campbell is not a hooker anymore, should have been given more time at 5/8 in a rotation with Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    You are not wrong, he should have played 20 games a fullback this year. Campbell is not a hooker anymore, should have been given more time at 5/8 in a rotation with Bird
    No you are wrong, Campbell has more to offer the team and club off the field then he does on.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    No you are wrong, Campbell has more to offer the team and club off the field then he does on.
    That too.

Looks like a great day for footy. See you at the Members BBQ.

I'm very excited about Beau Henry finally debuting. To me he stands head and shoulders above as a 5/8th for us.

Home semi-final on the line against Titans

THE North Queensland Cowboys will play their third Queensland derby of the season today and for Cowboys co-captain Matt Scott it's the beginning of their road to a home semi-final.

The Cowboys are almost assured of a place inside the top eight come finals' time in September with seven rounds of the regular remaining having bagged 11 wins from their season to date.

Getting a win against the Gold Coast Titans this afternoon should book the Cowboys' their first finals' appearance since 2007, although it's the very possible prospect of playing big-time footy before fans at Dairy Farmers Stadium that's driving Scott on.

"We're aiming for a top-four finish so we've got to win as many as we can ... expectations are there in the team that we'll make the top four," he said.

Cowboys coach Neil Henry reiterated Scott's opinion that the goal of a home semi-final was now at the forefront of his players' minds.

"It's certainly a goal to make them but we're not there yet, we need to win a few games too in Johnathan's absence and we've got the side to do that," he said.

"It's important we try and stay a chance of being a top-four finish to get a home semi-final."

First-up on their road towards that top-four placing is tonight's clash against NRL cellar dwellers the Gold Coast Titans.

Scott will return to action for the Cowboys tonight after being ruled out of last weekend's game against the Wests Tigers due to a back strain that almost ruled him out of the Newcastle Knights game a fortnight ago.

His absence - along with that of Thurston - was certainly felt by the Cowboys and Henry admitted as such when leaving for the Gold Coast yesterday morning.

"I think we missed him last week, it was a disappointing performance against the Wests Tigers and we certainly need to rectify that," he said.

"I they click it'll be a dangerous game for us."

Scott Bolton travelled with the Cowboys yesterday as cover for Scott, who carried a back brace for the hour and 40min flight to Brisbane.

The Australia and Queensland representative said he was confident of being in peak shape by tonight.

"(I'm) not 100 per cent...I've got two more full days to sort of get better," he said.

"I'm hoping to be better again by Saturday afternoon but I shouldn't be restricted too much but it is still not 100 per cent.

"It's better for the week off I think, I'm feeling pretty refreshed."

Scott's co-captain Thurston also travelled to Australia's glamour strip yesterday, although he boarded the plane purely in a support capacity.

"It's good for the team and good for the young halves in Ray (Thompson) and Benny Jones having him along for the support," Scott said.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/

Titans will lift for derby and fans: Cartwright

THEIR positions may have reversed but a Queensland derby is still a Queensland derby.

It was this time last year that the North Queensland Cowboys were sitting second-last on the NRL ladder and the Gold Coast Titans in fourth, and for the Cowboys' the dream of finals' football had to wait for 2011.

Twelve months later and the Cowboys are in fifth place and an odds-on chance of playing not only finals footy but also of hosting a finals encounter for the first time since 2004, whereas the Titans are now the team playing for nothing but respect.

The Cowboys should collect another two competition points to further cement their place in the finals race, but if they think they're going to be delivered on a plate then think again, says Titans' coach John Cartwright - who is relying on the "derby" factor to lift his boys.

"They tend to bring the best out in both sides, last week (against the Broncos) I thought it was a tight and dour affair for 60 minutes but that's been a problem all year," he said.

"We haven't been able to put 80 minutes together and that's where most of the focus has been this week."

Giving their home fans something to cheer about, considering that their team hasn't won a game since June 10, when they upset St George Illawarra 28-14, is also on Cartwright's agenda.

The Titans mentor said it "was about time" that their supporters had something to cheer about, and nothing would please him more than doing so at the expense of the visiting Cowboys.

"We definitely owe our fans something to feel good about, the loyal fans who have been behind us who turn up every week for us," Cartwright said.

"We definitely owe them a good performance and a good finish to the year."

Titans captain Scott Prince said his outfit could count their lucky stars that gun Cowboys halfback Johnathan Thurston was sidelined, although he did talk up the win that Thurston's teammates conjured up against the Newcastle Knights a fortnight ago.

"They'll be missing his experience and threat in attack, but in saying that the Cowboys are a good outfit and they had a really good win a couple of weeks (ago) without him," he said.

"So we just have to worry about ourselves and get ourselves back on track, hopefully the rest will take care of itself."

Prince will partner Titans debutant Beau Henry in the halves against Cowboys counterparts in Ben Jones and Ray Thompson.

Henry - who made a mid-season transfer to the Titans from Newcastle - has already played against the Cowboys this season and played a leading hand in their 34-22 victory against North Queensland back in round two.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/

Cowboys gamble on Matt Scott's back injury in crunch clash with Titans

MATT Scott's importance to North Queensland's premiership hopes has been further illustrated by the decision to risk the Maroons and Kangaroos prop in tonight's clash against last-placed Gold Coast at Skilled Park.

Scott yesterday admitted he had not fully recovered from the back injury that kept him out of the Cowboys' disappointing 38-18 loss to Wests Tigers in Townsville last Saturday night.

But the Cowboys' shoddy defence and lack of leadership in the absence of star halfback Johnathan Thurston has convinced coach Neil Henry to field co-captain Scott, despite the Titans being rock bottom on the NRL ladder.

Henry has the added insurance of 18th man Scott Bolton, but was certain Scott would play.

"We're taking Scott Bolton as well (but) he won't be playing - it'll be one to 17," Henry said. "He (Matt Scott) is still in a bit of discomfort with his back (but) we missed him last week ... we were fairly fragile defensively."

Scott was happy to answer Henry's call, admitting he found it tough watching the Cowboys get beaten last weekend.

"It was a game we probably should have won or could have won," said Scott, who wore a back brace on the flight from Townsville to Brisbane yesterday.

"We do a fair bit more travel than other clubs. It's just a part of the process to try to help it.

"I'm hoping it'll be better again by Saturday afternoon. I shouldn't be restricted too much but it's still not 100 per cent."

Scott was wary of the Titans, saying the Cowboys were in a similar position of desperation last season.

"Especially playing them at home, they're going to be looking for a good performance," he said.

"It's one of those games we can't take too lightly. We've got to play really well."

Titans skipper Scott Prince can sense an upset, particularly in the absence of Thurston, who remains sidelined with a knee injury.

"They'll be missing his experience and threat in attack," Prince said.

"(But) we just have to worry about ourselves and get ourselves back on track."

To do that the Titans have turned to former Newcastle five-eighth Beau Henry, who joined the club last month after being told by the Knights he would not be required next season.

"I watched a little bit of him when he was with Newcastle at the start of the season - I thought he was a quality player," said Prince, who likened 21-year-old Henry to a young version of Brad Fittler or Trent Barrett.

"He's big and he possesses a good passing game and a kicking game. Without putting too much pressure on the kid, he's certainly got the ability.

"He gets his shot (tonight). He's been training outstanding and hopefully he can go out and do a job for me.

"He's taking a lot of pressure off me, not only with the ball in hand but with the kicking game as well.

"If the opportunity to run is there, I'm sure he'll take it. He's quite a handful close to the line."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl

Henry set to make big impact for Titans

HE is one of the biggest five-eighths of the modern era.

But it will be Beau Henry's ability to "stand over" skipper Scott Prince and not sheer size that will determine whether the boom mid-season recruit is a success at the Gold Coast, according to foundation Titans football manager Scott Sattler.

Henry will make his Titans debut against the Cowboys at Skilled Park tonight, with all eyes focused on how he fares in the problematic No.6 jumper.

"I don't think it is his size that complements Princey," Sattler said.

"He has to have the ability to stand over a No.7 who is a pretty dominant figure. Princey needs a person who has a little bit of arrogance about them but is still able to work a partnership.

"The way Henry can complement him is by taking a lot of the responsibility and load off him, which will free Princey up to concentrate on areas he is really strong at."

Standing 188cm tall and 96kg, Henry is the largest playmaker in the NRL and is in the same mould as Brad Fittler, Trent Barrett and Braith Anasta.

The Toyota Cup Player of the Year in 2009 with the Dragons, Henry made his NRL debut in Round 1 this year for the Knights, playing six games before suffering an ankle injury.

Sattler, a former teammate of Prince at Wests Tigers, said the 21-year-old had the potential to answer the prayers of Coast fans.

As a Toyota Cup television commentator for Fox Sports, Sattler has seen plenty of Henry in under-20s ranks and has a high opinion of the young playmaker.

"He was a key player in the Toyota Cup and you could tell he was a class above most of them skill-wise," Sattler said.

"Making that transition to first grade was always going to be the next step for him but he hasn't been able to hold down a permanent position yet.

"He is the first genuine five-eighth the Titans have had, in that he is the first one who has spent his whole career in the halves."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au