AAP Tue, Jul 05, 2011 - 6:14 AM

Terry Matterson will quit as Castleford coach at the end of the season after six years in charge of the Super League club.

The 44-year-old Australian joined the Tigers ahead of the 2006 season and during his time in charge of the Yorkshire club they have risen from relegation candidates to their current position of seventh in the Super League table.

"I think it's time to move on," Matterson said Monday. "I've had a fantastic time at Cas and I'm proud of the growth the club has experienced in my time.

"I've overseen the development of some outstanding juniors at Cas and I'm content on leaving the club in good shape."

Castleford chief executive Richard Wright added: "Terry has brought a level of professionalism to the club that is required at this level.

"He has guided us to become a competitive force in Super League and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

"Meanwhile, our aims are to secure a home play-off draw and to make the Wembley cup final.

"We remain are in a position to meet those aims and we will be fully focused on doing so."

Matterson has been widely reported to be returning to Australia at the end of the Super League season with a view to joining an NRL club's backroom staff.

His departure from Castleford has been widely trailed and among those linked with the vacancy his exit will create are Hull KR's Australian coach Justin Morgan and former Great Britain head coach Brian Noble.