Default 2011 Injury Thread

After this weekend i thought this may be a thread that is needed

It may help when with Fantasy teams too
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Gordon's season over after ACL injury

Wayne Heming AAPMon, Mar 21, 2011 - 6:02 PM

The NRL season is over for exciting Gold Coast flyer Kevin Gordon who ruptured his ACL against Melbourne at the weekend.

In a shattering blow for the promising 21-year-old, scans on Monday confirmed he'd suffered the season-ending knee injury trying to stop Melbourne winger Justin O'Neill from scoring in the 50th minute during the Storm's 40-12 romp at Skilled Park.

Gordon, who'll undergo a full knee reconstruction later this week, had played 51 consecutive games for the Titans.

"I was trying to stay positive until I got the scan and the doc said you have to get an operation," said a shattered Gordon.

"It's disappointing but I've got to take it as it is, an opportunity to focus on something else other than footy until 2012.

"I want to try and get involved in the community as much as possible and re-arrange my goals.

"It's not about what life gives you, it's what you do about it.

"I can't do anything about what's already happened so I've just got to get on with it and look to the future and do what I can outside of footy."

An electrifying runner, Gordon grabbed 12 tries last season, taking his career tally to 25 for the club.

Coffs Harbour-born Gordon made his debut against the Bulldogs in round three 2009, making an immediate impression with his speed and footwork.

Titans coach John Cartwright, who believed his young winger was on the brink of making his representative debut, will name a replacement on Tuesday for Friday night's derby clash with Brisbane at Skilled Park.
    #itaintweaktospeak

I did speak to Flash after the match Friday & he said "i'll be back in round 26"
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Weyman to miss six weeks

David Beniuk AAPWed, Mar 23, 2011 - 7:20 PM

St George Illawarra prop Michael Weyman will miss up to six weeks in the NRL after scans showed he has a slight groin tear.

NSW representative Weyman will avoid surgery but miss 4-6 weeks of NRL action after suffering the injury during the first half of the Dragons' shock 16-10 loss to Cronulla on Monday night.

"We received the full medical report today from the scans that Michael had yesterday and he has sustained a slight groin tear that will require him to be sidelined for about six weeks," Dragons performance director Jeremy Hickmans said in a club statement.

Former Wests Tigers forward David Gower has been named to play just his second NRL game and his first for the Dragons when they take on the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium on Sunday.

The premiers will also be without back-rower Beau Scott, who entered an early guilty plea to a dangerous contact charge and will miss one game.

They were already missing utility forward Dean Young with a knee problem.

The Dragons forwards' pummelling by the Sharks big men on Monday night has some questioning whether they have sufficient firepower up front to defend their premiership.

Wayne Bennett offloaded Jeremy Smith (Cronulla), Neville Costigan (Newcastle) and Jarrod Saffy (Melbourne Rebels) in the off-season.

The club is relying on the likes of Trent Merrin, Jon Green, Michael Greenfield and journeyman Adam Cuthbertson to fill the void this year.

Former Test forward Mark Geyer said the premiers could even struggle to make the top eight.

"I don't think they will now if Weyman's out for a long time," he said on his Austereo network radio program.

"He's had major operations in the off-season, he's their No.1 go-forward man, they've lost Jeremy Smith, Neville Costigan, Jarrod Saffy, now Michael Weyman.

"If Wayne Bennett is the supercoach that we all think he is and I know he is, this is the year he'll prove it because those four big honchos, the big boppers, this is going to be the hardest year for a premier to back it up.

"Their bench is really ordinary."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Tuqiri suffers suspected broken arm

AAPSat, Mar 26, 2011 - 9:04 PM

Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri suffered a suspected broken arm in Saturday night's NRL clash against Canberra at Campbelltown Stadium.

Tuqiri left the field in the 50th minute after reeling out of a tackle holding his arm, with the Tigers leading 18-10.

Doctor Donald Kuah indicated Tuqiri had a suspected break in his forearm, with scans pending next week.
    #itaintweaktospeak

McGuire off for scans on calf

David Beniuk AAPSat, Mar 26, 2011 - 2:46 PM

Parramatta hooker Casey McGuire will have an MRI scan on Monday to determine the severity of a calf tear suffered in Friday night's NRL loss to South Sydney.

McGuire could be looking at an extended stint on the sidelines after leaving the ANZ Stadium pitch in the 31st minute of the 32-18 loss to the Rabbitohs.

The 31-year-old former Queensland representative, who returned to the NRL this year after four years in France, had been one of his side's stronger performers on an otherwise forgettable night for the Eels.

He was instrumental in halfback Jeff Robson's 13th minute try with some clever work from dummy-half and will be sorely missed by a Parramatta side that has struggled in the past two weeks after a season-opening win over the Warriors.

The Eels have looked off the pace since then in losses to Penrith and Souths and captain Nathan Hindmarsh said they had too often slipped back into some old habits rather than sticking to new coach Stephen Kearney's discipline-first gameplan.

"There's times where you do slip a bit into your old ways but that will disappear quite quickly I think," Hindmarsh said.

"We've had long enough under Steve now to know what we've got to do and the game-plan we're using so we've been doing it since before Christmas.

"Just sometimes we tend to slip into a bit of other season stuff."

Hindmarsh finished the match with a sore ankle but is in no doubt for next weekend's clash with North Queensland.

But Parramatta could be without impact forward Fuifui Moimoi after he was placed on report for a 47th-minute high shot on Rabbitohs prop Ben Ross.

At the least, Moimoi can expect a spray from Kearney, who admitted he had an issue with the prop's discipline after he was sin-binned for dissent following the incident.

"I have to have a good look at it," Kearney said. "That's one thing.

"I thought our completion rate was way down there in comparison to there's so that was (also) an issue."

Kearney is hopeful what goes around will come around for the Eels after they had two tries disallowed within the first six minutes of the match.

"We got a couple of rough calls but that happens in footy and next week, fingers crossed, they might go our way," he said.

"But I'm not holding my breath."
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Lawrence to miss minimum three months

AAPMon, Mar 28, 2011 - 10:18 AM

Wests Tigers centre Chris Lawrence will have more scans on his injured hip today to determine whether the Australian representative will play again in the NRL this season.

The Tigers confirmed on Sunday that Lawrence will miss at least three months of NRL football with a dislocated hip, while winger Lote Tuqiri is unlikely to return before round 11.

The Australian internationals were both injured in the Tigers costly victory over Canberra on Saturday night, and preliminary scans on Sunday confirmed the club's worst fears.

Lawrence was discharged from hospital on Sunday night but faces a long road back to football.

After successfully putting his hip back in place, the 22-year-old will now undergo further scans to determine any further damage and confirm the bones are in their proper positions.

Tuqiri, meanwhile, will have minor corrective surgery on his right forearm this week after X-rays showed a fracture of the radius bone, and is expected to miss eight weeks.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Ropati out for the season

Warriors Media NRL.comMon, Mar 28, 2011 - 1:45 PM

Results of a scan today have confirmed Warriors centre Jerome Ropati will miss the rest of the NRL season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in yesterday?s third-round defeat by St George Illawarra at Mount Smart Stadium. The 26-year-old NRL veteran was left clutching his left knee after making a desperate tackle on his Kiwi team-mate Jason Nightingale just before halftime.

Warriors team doctor John Mayhew said the scan had confirmed the worst-possible outcome.

?Jerome has been reviewed by a surgeon (Stu Walsh) and will be operated on in one to two weeks, once his knee settles down,? he said.

?His recovery period will be about six months, ruling him out for the rest of the season.?

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said everyone at the club felt for Ropati.

?It?s devastating for Jerome. I just feel so sorry for him,? he said.

?Obviously it?s a huge disappointment for all of us at the club.?

Ropati, an 11-Test Kiwi international, was making his 130th appearance for the club yesterday. He?d been in outstanding form, named the players? player of the day after his two-try performance in the first-round encounter with Parramatta at Eden Park on March 12.

He becomes the fourth Warriors player in four years struck down by what were originally rated season-ending ACL injuries.

Fullback Wade McKinnon needed surgery after damaging his ACL in a trial against Newcastle in 2008. It was thought he wouldn?t play at all that season but he returned for the final few NRL games.

Centre Brent Tate wasn?t so fortunate, an ACL knee injury ending his 2009 campaign just three rounds into the season while promising utility Elijah Taylor was also sidelined long-term after injuring his knee in a training session just before the opening trial of the 2010 season.

He recovered in time to play the tail-end of the Junior Warriors? NYC season, captaining the side in the grand final win against South Sydney.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Crazy how many injuries have happened this round and it hasn't finished yet - will be a heavy track at DFS...

Quote Originally Posted by Boofhead View Post
    Crazy how many injuries have happened this round and it hasn't finished yet - will be a heavy track at DFS...
    It doesn't end there either as Sam Perrett has possibly broken his ankle too
    #itaintweaktospeak

Default Souths captain Asotasi out for four months

AAP Sun, May 01, 2011 - 9:28 AM

South Sydney's injury crisis in the front row has deepened with captain Roy Asotasi ruled out of NRL action for four months.

Asotasi underwent hand surgery following an injury suffered in Friday night's victory over Cronulla.

X-rays and an MRI scan determined Asotasi had dislocated bones in his hand that make up the wrist, and an operation was required to repair the damage.

The operation has already been completed, and the early diagnosis is Asotasi will be sidelined until at least the final round of the regular season, in a crushing blow for the injury-depleted club.

The Rabbitohs have already lost props Scott Geddes and Luke Stuart for the season, while star front rower Sam Burgess will miss at least six weeks, and possibly the season with a serious ankle injury.

Souths were already forced to turn make-shift front rowers Eddy Pettybourne and Shannon McPherson into full-timers - and Asotasi's injury leaves Ben Ross as their only recognised first grade prop.

Ross himself is only eight NRL matches into his comeback from serious neck problems which kept him out of the game for two seasons.

Queensland gamebreaker Dave Taylor will now almost certainly be required to move from the backrow up front.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Burgess out for the season

AAP Tue, May 03, 2011 - 6:12 PM

South Sydney have plunged further into injury crisis after learning English forward Sam Burgess will play no further part in the regular NRL season.

Star backrower Burgess had an arthroscopy on Monday when it was discovered he had ruptured ligaments in his ankle.

The luckless star broke the news on Twitter on Tuesday, telling fans: "Thanks for all your well wishes. Opp (operation) wasn't the best. More damage than expected. Need a screw. Out for the season. Gutted."

Burgess injured his ankle in Souths' 36-24 loss to Canterbury on April 23 and was initially expected to miss only a month.

But Souths on Tuesday confirmed he would be out for at least four months, which leaves the door slightly ajar for a return if the Rabbitohs reach the finals.

"Burgess underwent an arthroscopy yesterday and it was found that he had ruptured the ligaments in his ankle, required a screw to be inserted to stabilise the joint to enable it to heal correctly," the club said in a statement.

"Burgess' rehabilitation time will be a minimum of four months, ruling him out for the remainder of the regular season matches."

The club also announced rookie winger Kane Morgan will miss the rest of the season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament.

It continues a horror run of bad luck for the Bunnies, coming just days after skipper Roy Asotasi was ruled for four months after breaking his hand in last Friday night's 31-12 win over Cronulla.

The Rabbitohs have already lost props Scott Geddes (Achilles) and Luke Stuart (knee) for the season.

Souths were already forced to turn make-shift front rowers Eddy Pettybourne and Shannon McPherson into full-timers - and Asotasi's injury leaves Ben Ross as their only recognised first grade prop.

Ross himself is only eight NRL matches into his comeback from serious neck problems which kept him out of the game for two seasons.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Raider Learoyd-Lahrs out for NRL season

Matt Sadler AAP Tue, Jul 05, 2011 - 4:17 PM

Canberra prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs has been ruled out for the rest of the NRL season after scans found he ruptured his bicep in Monday night's 38-12 win over the Sydney Roosters.

Learoyd-Lahrs was disappointed to get injured just as Canberra appear set to make another late-season charge towards the finals and admitted he knew his fate long before the results came back on Tuesday.

"I pretty much knew the news was coming," he told reporters.

"It's disappointing. The side's starting to make some momentum and the reality is now I'll miss out on all that. So it's a bit of a downer.

"To be successful in the competition you need to have quality players for an extended period of time."

Canberra coach David Furner said he was "extremely disappointed" at the injury given Learoyd-Lahrs' good form.

"His go-forward when the team needed it was a handful for the Roosters to contain," Furner said.

In better news for the Raiders, Queensland representative forward David Shillington extended his stay in the nation's capital for an additional three years.

The former Roosters player, who will stay in Canberra until the end of 2015, credited the Raiders for his career revival.

"It's been really good here. It's been good for my footy and things are starting to turn around for the Raiders so it's all looking good," Shillington said.

"I'll be 32 when I finish here and hopefully I have a couple more years after that. But we'll wait and see how the body holds up."

Shillington is recovering from an injury to his pectoral muscle.

He'll miss Saturday night's game against Cronulla but expects to return in Round 19 when the Raiders meet Melbourne or a week later against St George-Illawarra.

Furner has named a largely unchanged side for the clash with the Sharks with the only adjustments forced by the injury to Learoyd-Lahrs.

Dane Tilse moves from the bench to prop while young forward Sam Mataora comes into the squad on the bench.

Fullback Josh Dugan (ankle) remains an outside chance of playing.
    #itaintweaktospeak