Default ROUND 17 Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

SATURDAY

Penrith Panthers v Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs at Centrebet Stadium, 7:30pm

Panthers: Lachlan Coote, David Simmons, Junior Vai Vai, Brad Tighe, Adrian Purtell, Travis Burns, Luke Walsh, Sam McKendry, Kevin Kingston, Tim Grant, Trent Waterhouse (c), Nigel Plum, Nathan Smith. Interchange (from): Nafe Seluini, Dayne Weston, Matthew Bell, Sarafu Fatiaki, Ryan Walker, Harry Seijka.

Peter Sterling's Late Mail: Kevin Kingston is in serious doubt with a groin injury, while Junior Vaivai is battling a neck injury. Nafe Seluini is on standby for Kingston while Ryan Walker would replace Vaivai.

Bulldogs: Ben Barba, Steve Turner, Josh Morris, Jamal Idris, Jonathan Wright, Kris Keating, Trent Hodkinson, Aiden Tolman, Dene Halatau, Michael Hodgson, Frank Pritchard, Andrew Ryan (c), David Stagg. Interchange: Sam Kasiano, Greg Eastwood, Corey Payne, Ben Roberts.

Peter Sterling's Late Mail: Frank Pritchard is in some doubt with a rib injury.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Dogs set to entertain in Penrith NRL clash

Russell Jackson AAP Fri, Jul 01, 2011 - 11:26 AM

Canterbury flyer Steve Turner is anticipating an expansive game on Saturday night against his former side Penrith.

The Bulldogs go into the Panthers clash confident after a much-needed NRL win over Wests Tigers.

And Turner admits the 16-6 victory over the Tigers, which prevented three straight losses for the Bulldogs, wasn't pretty but the effort has given the side a boost ahead of the clash at Centrebet Stadium.

"It certainly was nice to be back in the winners' circle and it certainly was a tough month for the club and the playing group," he said on Friday.

"We just sat down last week and got back to basics and I think we did that really well last Friday night.

"It wasn't the prettiest of wins but, hopefully, we can build on that this week."

The Penrith junior was impressed with his former club's last-start win over the Cowboys in caretaker coach Steve Georgallis' first game in charge.

"Last week, they really embraced Steve being on board and with Ivan (Cleary) coming there next year, I'm sure the players will want to finish off well for Steve this year," Turner said.

"I'd like to think there's going to be a few points scored and obviously last week we won ugly but, hopefully, we can build on that and put some plays on and score a few points."

There has been plenty of points scored in recent clashes between the two sides, with the Panthers beating the Dogs twice last year 24-18 and 31-16.
    #itaintweaktospeak

Penrith humiliate NRL Bulldogs 20-6

Joe Barton AAP Sat, Jul 02, 2011 - 10:21 PM

Penrith put a massive question mark over Canterbury's ability to make the NRL finals with a comprehensive 20-6 victory at Centrebet Stadium on Saturday night.

The crowd of 15,383 were treated to a 16-point haul from Travis Burns and a kicking masterclass from Luke Walsh, who contributed heavily to Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba's hellish night by peppering him with soaring bombs.

The Panthers continued their impressive start under interim coach Steve Georgallis, who now has a 100 per cent NRL record after two matches in charge - but doesn't have a job next year after Warriors boss Ivan Cleary was announced as Penrith's head coach from 2012 during the week.

But it was the Bulldogs who should be generating the most discussion - to say they looked disjointed in attack would be complimentary, in reality it was shambolic.

Before a consolation try to Jamal Idris in the 67th minute, the only time they looked like constructing anything in attack was when Barba was able to skip through a broken defensive line after returning a Penrith kick in the first half.

And even then the play ended with a forward pass handing the ball back to the Panthers.

Penrith wrested control of the game in the first half, making the most of their opportunities to take a 12-0 lead into the break, and they never looked like letting go of it.

Walsh was the creator, setting up all three tries with his right boot through a bomb, a banana kick and a magical chip and chase which led to the opening try.

The crafty Newcastle junior regathered his own kick before quickly offloading to winger Adrian Purtell who scored under the posts.

Panthers five-eighth Burns scored two more tries from Walsh kicks, one in the 61st minute, which a gun-shy Barba didn't ever look like contesting, to blow the score out to 20-0.

Bulldogs' utility Ben Roberts was put on report while in possession in the first half for making contact with Walsh's head as the tiny halfback finished off a tackle.

The Bulldogs will slip out of the top eight after this weekend, with Penrith leapfrogging them following their fifth win in seven matches, while the Warriors and Wests Tigers also move ahead of the 'Dogs after receiving two points from the bye.

Georgallis said the win was the perfect pick-me-up after a week in which he was overlooked for the head coaching role in 2012.

"I just can't thank the boys enough after a really hard week," he said.

"Just the way they dug in defensively on our tryline, set after set after set, was just a great all-round team effort."

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore was "very disappointed" with the loss and was particularly scathing of his team being beaten in intensity from the outset.

"We worked our way into the game and we had plenty of field position at various stages of the game, but we just failed to put any real penetration and put the defence under too much pressure," Moore said.

Barba admitted he was expecting a barrage of kicks from Walsh and should have been better prepared.

"During the week someone told me they were going to do that and I should've been prepared for that ... I sort of went into each kick half-hearted and they scored three times," he told AAP.

"I'm disappointed with how I performed."
    #itaintweaktospeak