Default Nine boss David Gyngell defends biased TV commentary of State of Origin

Nine boss David Gyngell defends biased TV commentary of State of Origin

CHANNEL 9 boss David Gyngell has made no apologies for throwing his financial weight behind New South Wales - and he won't be changing his station's blue-tinged rugby league commentary team.

Queenslanders remain furious at the favouritism shown by the Nine television team to NSW during this year's State of Origin series, with Andrew Johns and Phil Gould having unashamedly "cheered" for the Blues in their 18-8 win over the Maroons in Sydney on June 15.

Adding to the anti-Queensland sentiment is Gyngell's position as head of the "Blues Brothers" supporter group, which involves him contributing about $30,000 to the NSW team each year.

In return for the funds, he and other high-profile Sydney businessman have privileged access to training, team dinners and even spots on the bench during matches.

But Gyngell, whose wife is Brisbane-raised Nine presenter and reporter Leila McKinnon, was adamant on Monday night that taking sides was what Origin was all about.

"Yes, I'm happy to put my hand up as a Blues supporter - but just one of many," he said.

"Always have been, always will be, just like everyone born and bred in Queensland is so passionate about the Maroons.

"I reckon that's terrific and I make no apology for it. We all take sides, and that's part of what makes Origin so great."

Gyngell defended Nine's commentary team, saying they were without peer and stressing the inclusion of Queenslanders Wally Lewis and Paul Vautin.

While Lewis and Vautin are part of Nine's Origin team, they have limited input compared with "Blues" stalwarts Johns, Gould, Peter Sterling and Ray Warren.

"As to the commentary team, I support them absolutely because they are the best in the business - you cannot say fairer than that," Gyngell said.

"And let's not forget the best Origin player ever, Wally Lewis, is part of that team, along with (Paul) Fatty Vautin."

Gyngell hinted he did not know why Queenslanders felt the need to complain considering their team was one win away from a sixth successive series triumph, with Game Three being played at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow week.

"As always, may the best team win," he said.

" And for the past five series, that's been the Maroons."

Commentators and their allegiances

Channel 9: Blues - Ray Warren, Peter Sterling, Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Andrew Voss.
    Maroons - Paul Vautin, Wally Lewis.

ABC Radio: Blues - David Morrow, Warren Ryan, Warren Boland, Craig Hamilton, Quentin Hull.

4BC/2UE Radio: Blues - Ray Hadley, Andrew Moore, Steve Roach, Bob Fulton.
    Maroons - Daryl Brohman, Peter Psaltis.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    Nine boss David Gyngell defends biased TV commentary of State of Origin

Commentators and their allegiances

Channel 9: Blues - Ray Warren, Peter Sterling, Phil Gould, Andrew Johns, Brad Fittler, Andrew Voss.
    Maroons - Paul Vautin, Wally Lewis.

ABC Radio: Blues - David Morrow, Warren Ryan, Warren Boland, Craig Hamilton, Quentin Hull.

4BC/2UE Radio: Blues - Ray Hadley, Andrew Moore, Steve Roach, Bob Fulton.
    Maroons - Daryl Brohman, Peter Psaltis.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au
    No wonder we hate NSW when the State of Origin is on!

ABC commentary is easily the best. Just wish they weren't a couple of seconds ahead of the TV commentary.

I love the ABC coverage. I love Bollands QCUP calls.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by eelectrica View Post
    ABC commentary is easily the best. Just wish they weren't a couple of seconds ahead of the TV commentary.
    If we had digital radio wouldn't be in time as it is also slightly delayed...don't quote me on that though!

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    No wonder we hate NSW when the State of Origin is on!
    As long as you only hate us when Origin is on. Coz I am not a bad bloke really...

Fatty has been known for his bias in the commentary box every now and then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YDW-_kIGM

"OHHH YEAHHH!!!!"