Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Minichiello stays a Titan, Tomane jumps ship

Minichiello stays a Titan, Tomane jumps ship

Peter Badel
    The Sunday Telegraph
    June 19, 2011 12:00AM
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226077567374

Staying put: Titans forward Mark Minichiello. Picture: Inga Williams Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE Gold Coast Titans insist Mark Minichiello will not be the next big-name player to be cut adrift after the back-rower received assurances he is still wanted by the club.

But while Minichiello is on deck for next season, the Titans could lose livewire utility Shannon Walker, who is considering a shock code defection to play for the Australian rugby sevens team.

Rated one of the code's most gifted talents, Walker has struggled to cement a regular first-grade berth at the Titans, playing just four NRL games since his debut as a 19-year-old in 2008.

The rival code yesterday signed up powerful Titans utility back Joe Tomane for a two-year deal with Super 15 club ACT Brumbies.

Recent speculation has suggested Minichiello had been given permission to negotiate by the Titans, who will lose senior players Anthony Laffranchi (St Helens), Nathan Friend (Warriors) and Brad Meyers (retirement) at the season's end.

Minichiello, off contract at the end of next season, recently broached the topic with Titans coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Clark.

But the Titans said they are eager to retain Minichiello, who is currently managing his own affairs after severing ties with leading player agent Alan Gainey.

"Mark is staying here, we certainly don't want to lose him," Clark said. "There have been some rumours going around about Mark (not being wanted by the Titans).

"Mini wanted to put an end to it and we wanted to put an end to it so we sat down, talked about it, and it's a done deal."
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Sad to see Tomane go, but it is what it is.

Congrats to Mini, if we could just fix those hands, you could become a future rep player
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Tomane will be in the Brumbies starting 15 next year, good luck to him. Cartwright has no idea about good players in the club.

I hope walker does go play 7 aside !
    Maybe he will then get signed up by a Union team and they would play him on the wing.

Good to see mini stay though.

Good to have Mini on board. Sad to see Tomane go, I was very excited about this kid but we never saw it really. Doesn't surpriseme to lose him, sad it was to union. But their lack of depth would make them sniff around our ranks and he does have a union background.

And Shannon mate, please don't go to union, losing you to another RL club I can some how some way accept. He is the one player I want to see in first grade most, with a Barba like strategy.
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior

Good that Mini is staying. Too bad about Tomane, but he wont have a spot here next year and he is too good to just be a depth player, same with Walker I hope he goes to another NRL club so we can still watch him play, 7s is not the way to go. He is far too small for union. Good luck to the both of them.

My mum will be very happy, Mini is her favourite. Very happy that is some more uncertainity filed away.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

LOVE MINI!
    Mark Minichiello ---> Team Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Matt View Post
    LOVE MINI!
    Never would have guessed mate! Nice avatar picture.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

It's sad to see Tomane go, but I guess who could blame him when the amount of cap money used on idris and champion is pretty much saying to him that he will only be playing q cup unless one of them get injured. I really hope Shannon Walker doesn't go, but I suppose how long does he have to wait around before Carty considers him. And that is great news that Mini is staying, I think he could be in an origin jumper within the next 2 years or so.

Im excited for Shannon, rugby sevens is exactly the type of game he would tear up at. Probably the nicest guy at the Titans I have met over the last 4 years.

But isnt Rugby Union 7s semi pro or amatuer?

Well one thing for sure, this will reduce the number of debates about who should be selected each week ... we reduce our stocks to just 17 and the problem goes away ... but that's not all :-(
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

i can see walker playing 7's. but not union for some reason
    tomane sad to see, but same as tonga. y wouldnt you when ur club signed 2 centres for next year.
    just a shame.

Not fussed on Tomane leaving really. Good luck to him though.

JUST give me a chance to shine.
    That is the impassioned plea from Shannon Walker as the Titans flyer battles to resurrect his career on the Gold Coast.

Once rated the next Preston Campbell and the most electrifying backline talent in 20 years, Walker has become the Titans' forgotten man. The luckless 22-year-old has battled a series of injuries and, despite his sizzling performances at Queensland Cup level, he has played only four NRL games since he burst into the top grade in 2008.

The Titans have invested plenty of resources into developing Walker, but the Kyogle product concedes time is running out to secure a new contract for next season. Walker is currently sidelined with a hamstring complaint.

But with the livewire fullback due to return in a fortnight, and the Titans' finals hopes fading, Walker is hoping coach John Cartwright can give him an extended run in the NRL to prove his worth to the club.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    .End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    "It's getting to that stage for me now where I need a chance," Walker said. "I've been here for a while and you start thinking, 'Well, I've only had a few games'.

"I guess I just want a good crack at first grade and I'll give it all I've got.

"I've hit a rough patch with injuries. I feel I've been playing well in Queensland Cup, but it's been hard to get into the NRL ahead of guys like Presto and William Zillman.

"I want to be playing to prove a point and make first grade. This (hamstring injury) is just another setback."

With no guarantees on the Gold Coast, Walker is making contingency plans. He is considering a switch of codes, and could follow the lead of former Bronco Denan Kemp by playing sevens rugby for Australia.

But Walker wants to stay at the Titans and be a permanent tenant in the No.1 jumper.

"It's (rugby union) another option really," he said. "I just want to see what's out there and weigh it all up. I've played a bit of union at school but I've always been more focused on the league side of things.

I've been here for three years and I've played only four or five games so it can be tough.

"I'm not getting big minutes and I don't know where I stand, whereas in union I might be able to get more game time.

"The Titans are a good club and, if I can get some game time and do well, then I'd want to stay."

Walker's manager Anthony Picone said the Titans had not yet given up on the speed demon.

"We met with the Titans. It was positive and they don't really want to lose him," Picone said.

"Shannon is one of the most gifted athletes I've seen. He'd be brilliant in rugby, but he'd like to show what he can do at the Titans."