Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Back to basics for us, says Presto

WITH a make-or-break clash with Cronulla looming, Preston Campbell believes his Gold Coast Titans must go back to basics if they are to salvage anything from a dismal NRL season.

In the wake of yet another disappointing performance, this time a 31-8 loss to South Sydney last night, Campbell admitted the team was not living up to their own expectations.

The Rabbitohs thrashing saw the Titans slump to 16th place on for and against - with Canberra picking up two points for the bye this week - after five losses from their last six hit-outs.

And with 28 competition points being the yardstick for a top-eight finish in recent years, the Titans must win nine of their remaining 11 matches to snare an unlikely finals berth.

Campbell admitted the only way for that to happen would be for the side to focus on fundamentals, starting next week against the Sharks.

"We've got to get back to basics and do them well," Campbell said.

"We've got to stop missing tackles and get our structure in place. We've got a structure but don't seem to be following it sometimes.

"When we get on the back of our structure we do well but we went away from it (against Souths) ... we've got to stay patient."

Campbell said the team would also have to cut down their error rate, which saw them repeatedly give opportunities to the Rabbitohs in their own red zone.

Even when we were going all right we dropped the ball a few times, gave penalties away, and missed crucial tackles that's what it came down to," he said.

"We started looking a little bit better in the second half, but there was a quick penalty to them we missed a tackle and it just fell away from there, we still tried but there were too many missed tackles."

Campbell, who last week re-signed with the Gold Coast for 2012, also paid respect to South Sydney's dominant Queensland contingent.

Maroons' backrower Dave Taylor was an unstoppable force against the Titans, running for 192 metres and making 28 tackles while having a hand in two tries in a man-of-the-match performance, while his Origin teammate Greg Inglis shrugged off several injury complaints to delight fans when he bagged a late runaway try in the crushing victory.

"Most of our missed tackles came from Dave Taylor. They're hard to contain out on that left side, especially with Greg Inglis as well," Campbell said.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It's not. Support in attack has to come from the entire lineup.
    When Prince was at his best, he had backs running outside him, forwards running inside him with choices of long passes, short passes, chip kicks, cross-field kicks, grubbers and running himself to put any of our 1-17 over the line.

Whats the benefit of Bodene playing in #10? And why put him there when you've got Laffranchi & Henderson on the bench, and especially when our best forward from Friday is left out of the team altogether?
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but i do believe Capewell would do so much more then Prince can.
    Prince is past it and for the next 4 years he will do nothing compared to what he has done in the past.

Our best forward from last night just doesn't fit into the team i would pick no other reason. Bodene would add a little more mobility into forward pack. Allowing Ridge to keep his spot on the bench which would help him become a first team footballer sooner then he would be playing in the QLD cup.
    Last edited by GoldCoastTitans100; 18-06-11 at 07:39 PM.

Back to basics?
    Titans need to buy a freakin' clue as to what to do when in attack inside the opponents 20!

We haven't known what to do since having enough ball to score 50 points against the Broncos way back when.

If Toopi misses a few weeks for his forearm incident last night, who will we replace him with? Tonga? I'm just curious. Never saw any reason to drop Tonga in the first place, especially for an ageing Toopi.
    Last edited by gotitans101; 18-06-11 at 11:20 PM.

Banned

tonga should have never been dropped is shannon walker back yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101 View Post
    If Toopi misses a few weeks for his forearm incident last night, who will we replace him with? Tonga? I'm just curious. Never saw any reason to drop Tonga in the first place, especially for an ageing Toopi.
    We could see Bodene go back into right centre and Mead go to left centre.

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    We could see Bodene go back into right centre and Mead go to left centre.
    Completely forgot about Bodene...yeah, I'd say that would be the most likely outcome.

back to basics should have happened weeks ago. Now is the time to dig deep and show some PRIDE in their work.

What I'd like to see this week is some sort of coherent attack with Prince leading the way, especially inside the opposition 20. I'd also like to see us get the ball wider a little more. Mead, Tomane, etc have played pretty well and they need some more of the ball.

I'll get up at 2:30 am like I do every weekend for games, but come on Titans, you're really making it tough on all of us. I hope those of you who are able DO go to the game and show the guys they aren't going at it alone.
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

Back to basics begs the assumption that the team has been playing some sort of advanced, innovative style ... not from what I've seen ... how about "pull your fingers out and man-up, you're playing like a bunch of over-paid, over-rated sheilas"?
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Junior Titan SunnyCoastTitanFan's Avatar

Well the Sharks had a big win today, but atm I reckon anyone could beat the doggies. Anyway I feel confident that we can win this game, however I feel confident about every game so....

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyCoastTitanFan View Post
    ........ but atm I reckon anyone could beat the doggies. ......
    But we didnt LOL

DOesnt hold much hope for this game
    I cant see us beating teh sharks myself, not the way we have been playing.

Even though it's quite evident that our chances of reaching the top 8 this year, has been shot to pieces. I still hold onto hope that we might see the odd glimmer of brilliance out of the Titans at some stage through the remainder of 2011.

If it happens at home, this weekend against The Sharks. All the better..

Sharks were very impressive against the Bulldogs. I'm very wary about this game, I don't think we have ever had an easy game against Cronulla.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Cronulla confirm NSW captain Paul Gallen will play for Sharks

Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan says Sharks skipper Paul Gallen won't be standing down for Saturday's clash with Gold Coast Titans despite the request of New South Wales coach Ricky Stuart.

Stuart revealed after Wednesday's State of Origin win had levelled the series with Queensland at 1-1 that he'd asked his players not to play for their clubs in round 16 to allow him time to prepare for the July 6 clash at Suncorp Stadium.

Gallen was outstanding in the Sharks' 26-10 win over Canterbury-Bankstown on Sunday, scoring a try and setting up another as Cronulla recorded their first victory over the Bulldogs since 2007.

And Flanagan confirmed after the win his skipper will face the Titans at Skilled Park.

"Gal is in a bit of a situation," Flanagan said.

"We are desperate as well.

"He is captain of his state and it is a real big game (against Queensland), but we are in a delicate situation at the moment.

"He will turn up and play next week and touch wood he will get through and be ready to play Origin three."

The 29-year old went off six minutes from time after a clash of heads but Flanagan played down any concerns about his skipper's health.

"It was another machine-like performance from Gal today, but I thought he had some nice touches on him as well," he said.

"He was involved in two tries, he can play with the ball, attracts people in and creates opportunities for us.

"He has a bit of a headache in there, he copped a bit of a head clash at the end.

"He didn't have to come off, it wasn't much of a spell, just six minutes ... but he'll be fine."

Sharks hooker John Morris said Gallen's performance for NSW lifted the whole club and was a major factor in their display against a confidence-ravaged Bulldogs side.

"He is inspirational. I have been lucky to play with some great leaders at the clubs I've been to but he is on another level," the former Parramatta and Wests Tigers player said.

"He leads by his actions and to see what he did on Wednesday just lifted us."

AAP
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 20-06-11 at 11:21 AM.

Junior Titan

We should roll the dice now...
    My lineup for this week would include some new faces.
    I will also leave out certain players in a bid to balance my lineup.

1 Zillman
    2 Tonga/ Vickory
    3 Michaels
    4 Mead
    5 Tomane / Walker
    6 Henry
    7 Prince
    8 Bailey
    9 Srama
    10 Laffranchi
    11 Thompson
    12 Bird