Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by CoastSportsFan View Post
    Not necessarily, especially in a fickle city like the Gold Coast. See the Titanium Bar for more evidence.

The leagues club must be carefully thought out if it is to be viable.
    Titanium bar was a Night Club & nothing less, never felt comfortable in the place & to top it off it was in the worst suburb in QLD , a real Leagues club would bring people from everywhere on the coast & would be very important to be close to the ground (within Robina) so it feels like your local team.
    #itaintweaktospeak

I feel the same way about the Titanium Bar Pete. It was also very expensive and as a footy fan I felt out of place.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Mm good damn I would love a leagues club.do u think its needs to be a new venue or would a takeover of places like the dog n parrot or daimonds on Christine av be ok to?

A Leagues club is a good idea but I think it would generally only attract people who live nearby - like most clubs do these days. Living at Runaway Bay I would never go to a club at Robina except perhaps after games. Mind you I do have a designated driver.

Not necessarily, especially in a fickle city like the Gold Coast. See the Titanium Bar for more evidence.

The leagues club must be carefully thought out if it is to be viable.
    Titanium Bar was in city central. Freakin' horrible place to get to, park etc.

A Leagues Club is just an upmarket pub. As Pete said, build it and they will come.

The Wallaby or Dog and Parrot won't like it but I think it would be a winner. Commuters coming home on a Friday popping into the club for a cheap meal and drinks. Loving it already!

P.S. Not to mention I only live up the road a few minutes..

I'm in for sure. If it had decent pub grub and cheap schooners, it would be great way of supporting the club. I would travel from Southport even if it was in Robina. I can't imagine this going ahead under the current managerial arrangement, but it would be warmly received by the non-Prada wearing punters (and their kids).

The current mob would take anything for free ... the right business model, some solid investors and a water-tight contract should see it through.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

I agree with what has been said above. Putting the leagues club in Robina, next to the stadium, would be a nightmare for the long term sustainability of the club. Sure, it'll be a novelty initially and probably do well in the first 12 months of existence but you have to think about the bigger picture. The Southport Sharks are probably the best example of how to get the most out of your community all year round, even if they don't support Aussie rules.

It is also tricky finding the right spot for fans/players to go after a game. The Titanium Bar ended up being a train wreck so we can at least learn from that. To the best of my knowledge, the Titans aren't producing any revenue outside of game day so something needs to be done.
    Keep in mind that a leagues club next to the stadium would have the heavy rail next door, the new light rail will also to go directly to the stadium/Robina station aswell and any decent leagues club would incorporate some extra parking on the land nearby.

Robina has been planned out as a major hub by the GCCC for a long time, these transport links, particularly the light rail link which'll go straight back to the strip, are major pros that the club can take advantage of if it's smart.

The business model for a leagues club needs to be independent of the game ... the game itself and the club just provide an appendage to its core business which is providing an identified need to service the community.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    Keep in mind that a leagues club next to the stadium would have the heavy rail next door, the new light rail will also to go directly to the stadium/Robina station aswell and any decent leagues club would incorporate some extra parking on the land nearby.

Robina has been planned out as a major hub by the GCCC for a long time, these transport links, particularly the light rail link which'll go straight back to the strip, are major pros that the club can take advantage of if it's smart.
    If you want to wait at Robina for the light rail to take you anywhere you'll be waiting a long time. The new light rail will not go anywhere near Skilled park.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    If you want to wait at Robina for the light rail to take you anywhere you'll be waiting a long time. The new light rail will not go anywhere near Skilled park.
    It's on the plan MT. Line C splits off at Nobby Beach, past Bond Uni, Robina Town Centre and ends directly Robina station. When I get home I'll post a pic.

Quote Originally Posted by kioli View Post
    It's on the plan MT. Line C splits off at Nobby Beach, past Bond Uni, Robina Town Centre and ends directly Robina station. When I get home I'll post a pic.
    Thanks mate for the extra info. What I should have said is that it is not part of stage 1 works. I doubt if stage 2 of the light rail and beyond will be happening any time soon if ever. When they see what a financial disaster the light rail will be after stage 1 they will all head for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexican titan View Post
    Thanks mate for the extra info. What I should have said is that it is not part of stage 1 works. I doubt if stage 2 of the light rail and beyond will be happening any time soon if ever. When they see what a financial disaster the light rail will be after stage 1 they will all head for the hills.
    Sorry mate, forgot about finding that pic for you.

And yeah, seems like it might be some way off but at least the plan is there I guess.

edit:
    Black/grey = heavy rail line
    Dotted lines are light rail routes
    Thin lines are bus routes to feed the new system.