Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Interesting side, Never hear dof lawrence but what i have read is all good, good to see Tomane back in hope he has a blinder, we all know he is capable of a big game.

Junior Titan

Good Side.......

Can someone please make a couple of line breaks this week and maybe some try assists from Prince.
    Prince please practice your attacking kicks as they currently stink.

Im hopeful...........

Minichiello to reach ton for Titans

Bullocking Jetstar Gold Coast Titans forward Mark Minichiello will play his landmark 100th match for the club in Friday night?s Round 14 clash with the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Jubilee Stadium.

Minichiello will become only the second player in Titans history to reach the 100 game milestone after Jetstar Titans Coach John Cartwright today named him in a new-look 18-man squad to take on the Dragons.

In team changes, backrower Anthony Laffranchi has been named to make his return from an ankle injury while the Titans will be without the services of State of Origin duo Ashley Harrison (QLD) and Greg Bird (NSW) this weekend.

Centre Joseph Tomane has been named to make his return to first grade in what will mark his second NRL appearance this season while former Canberra Raiders lower grade prop Brenton Lawrence has been named on an extended five-man interchange bench.

Lawrence, 26, is yet to make his NRL or club debut for the Titans but has been performing strongly in the Queensland Cup with feeder club Burleigh Bears since joining the club in the off-season.

The Titans? only prior visit to WIN Jubilee Stadium netted the club a thrilling 11-10 victory over the Dragons in July last year.

JETSTAR TITANS v DRAGONS

Friday, June 10 - 7.45pm, WIN Jubilee Stadium.
    1 William Zillman
    2 Steve Michaels
    3 Clinton Toopi
    4 Joseph Tomane
    5 David Mead
    6 Preston Campbell
    7 Scott Prince (c)
    8 Luke Bailey
    9 Matt Srama
    10 Michael Henderson
    11 Anthony Laffranchi
    12 Mark Minichiello
    13 Luke O?Dwyer

INTERCHANGE
    14 Matthew White
    15 Ryan James
    16 Bodene Thompson
    17 Ben Ridge
    18 Brenton Lawrence

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

new look 18-man squad? hardly lol
    bit dissapointed james isnt starting. n thompson is on the bench instead of mini

Junior Titan

I'm glad Tomane has got a second chance, and this one will be a legitimate one where he feels comfortable, not rushed in at the last second.

Do people here think this means Carty wants to end the Thompson-in-the-centres experiment? I think it's time to can it, we have no strikepower out wide and really, his defense isn't even THAT good. But I suppose he could just be on the bench to give us some forward depth this week with Bird and Harro out...

I'm just relieved to see Laffranchi back!

In the team announcement for round fourteen carty said that if tomane plays well and make the spot his own he could be there the rest of the year. Hopefully this means tomane will be given a genuine go at center and bodene will go back to second row.
    Last edited by Titan Fanatic; 07-06-11 at 05:48 PM.

Legion Podcast is up for this round, listen to it or ill get all stabby next time i see you

Listen here

COMMENT ON IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Blue View Post
    I'm glad Tomane has got a second chance, and this one will be a legitimate one where he feels comfortable, not rushed in at the last second.

Do people here think this means Carty wants to end the Thompson-in-the-centres experiment? I think it's time to can it, we have no strikepower out wide and really, his defense isn't even THAT good. But I suppose he could just be on the bench to give us some forward depth this week with Bird and Harro out...

I'm just relieved to see Laffranchi back!
    I agree with what you said about thompson. Although he defends well at second row a couple of times this year he has looked unsure on what he should be doing. Hopefull but without him in the centres i doubt he will get much of a chance when harro and bird are back.
    Bird is the word

Quote Originally Posted by patskE View Post
    new look 18-man squad? hardly lol
    bit disappointed james isn't starting. n thompson is on the bench instead of mini
    Does it matter if a player is on the bench ?
    He will be substituted on and get the same amount of game time anyway.

Default Origin leaves Dragons testing their depth

By Steve Jancetic AAP Tue, Jun 07, 2011 - 6:43 PM

The ugly side of not having stand-alone weekends for State of Origin will show its face on Friday night with NRL premiers St George Illawarra forced to field a side barely recognisable to the one which won last year's title.

The Dragons will run out just six players who played in their breakthrough 2010 grand final triumph when they host Gold Coast at WIN Jubilee Oval on Friday night - their side ravaged by Origin commitments and injury.

So dire is their predicament that the Dragons have called Reece Simmonds out of retirement to play his first NRL game in almost four years, while two other players have been handed their first top grade game in the red and white.

Heading the list of those unavailable for selection are the Dragons' six Origin representatives Jamie Soward, Mark Gasnier, Darius Boyd, Beau Scott, Ben Creagh and Trent Merrin.

The situation is compounded by the absence of injured trio Matt Cooper, Brett Morris and Kyle Stanley.

Morris would have retained his place in the NSW for Origin II had he not injured his hamstring while Cooper knocked back an opportunity to come out of representative retirement to play for the Blues in the series opener.

"It's more a good opportunity for people like me waiting to get a chance," said rookie forward Jack Bosden, who will start alongside Michael Greenfield and Adam Cuthbertson in the backrow.

"When these weeks come up you just want to get out there and impress and not let the boys down most of all.

"Just do your job in the team and hopefully not let anyone in the team down."

Who can felt let down however are the fans, robbed of the chance to see the Dragons field anything close to their best side.

While the presence of a few key players and the magic of master coach Wayne Bennett will no doubt ensure the Dragons remain competitive against a side currently last on the ladder, the match loses plenty of appeal due to the absence of a throng on topline players.

The Dragons-Titans game is not the only one adversely affected by Origin call-ups, with the top-four battle between North Queensland and Manly also diminished in status with the Cowboys to be without gun duo Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott.

The debate over stand-alone matches is two-fold - the bid to ease fears of player burnout while also maintaining the credibility of the club matches.

The most recent push has been for Monday night Origin games but that would not do anything to solve dilemmas like the one facing the Dragons this week.

"Who knows what we should do, it goes round and round and round," Manly coach Des Hasler said of when Origin should be played.

"I think there is a number of different scenarios, but as soon as they get themselves sorted the better."

With the Dragons unbeaten in their last ten matches, Bosden said the expectation to perform would not be lowered by the long list of unavailabilities.

This despite a centre combination featuring Matt Prior and debutant Alex McKinnon - both of whom normally play in the second row.

"We've still got a lot of quality players still within the team - players like Ben Hornby, Dean Young and Nathan Fien - they're all really experienced players," Bosden said.

"We're going out there hoping just to play good football and hopefully the result comes our way."

The lunacy of the situation facing the Dragons was highlighted by the goalkicking competition staged between Hornby and Fien at training on Tuesday.

Fien has never kicked for goal in his NRL career while Hornby has just seven goals in more than 230 NRL games, the Dragons without their first two options in Jamie Soward and Stanley.

It isn't fair for clubs to carry such a burden. Not fair to the competition, fans, sponsor or players.

But I'm quite happy to see the Titans take advantage of it this Friday night.

I would love to be there...
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    It isn't fair for clubs to carry such a burden. Not fair to the competition, fans, sponsor or players.

But I'm quite happy to see the Titans take advantage of it this Friday night.

I would love to be there...
    I completely agree. I tried to imagine the NFL having an all-star game midweek and the teams losing their players to that and then not playing in the regular games-there would be hell to pay. Of course I realize the history, tradition, and meaning of Origin games in rugby league, so its a completely different situation.

Here's to the Titans taking advantage of the opportunity and getting those two points.

I sure wish Ryan James was starting though...
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN PETE View Post
    Please don't ever question My Loyalty u don't know me well enough , i have watched every game that the 20's play no matter how bad they were playing & i will do the same with the top grade but if they continue to play as they have been they won't beat the Dragons & thats what i'm saying
    No-one questioned your loyalty CHAMP.

JAMES should be given the start this week with more minutes in my view. LAWRENCE is a big unit who has been playing the house down in the Q,Cup and will go real good. Look forward to him making his debut for us.

Default Dragons v Titans preview

NRL.com Wed, Jun 08, 2011 - 3:30 PM

Dragons v Titans
    WIN Jubilee Stadium
    Friday 7.45pm

Wholesale changes to the Origin-ravaged Dragons present the Titans with a golden opportunity to wipe the perpetual frown from their coach John Cartwright?s face and push off the lowest rung on the 2011 premiership ladder.

It will be left to a core group of regular first-graders, bench players and rookies to protect St George Illawarra?s record 10-match unbeaten streak, which went oh so close to being shattered by the enthusiastic Eels last week.

The Titans will be without key forwards Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird who will suit up for the Maroons and Blues respectively next Wednesday night.

As for the myriad Dragons changes? some of them sound like Wayne Bennett wrote a bunch of names and positions on pieces of paper, placed them in two hats and drew for luck. Except we know there?s canny thought behind Bennett?s selections. You ready for this? Deep breath and? go: Jason Nightingale moves to fullback for Darius Boyd, with 31-year-old Reece Simmonds set to play his first game for the Red V since 2006 on the right wing. (Simmonds has been knocking around in the Carlton League down in the Illawarra for the past few seasons.) In another major surprise, 19-year-old Toyota Cup back-rower Alex McKinnon will make his NRL debut partnering regular first grade lock Matt Prior in the centres. Nathan Fien shifts to the unfamiliar role of five-eighth to cover for Jamie Soward. Jack Bosden and Michael Greenfield slip into the second row for Ben Creagh and Beau Scott. Adam Cuthbertson shifts to lock. Jon Green, David Gower, Daniel Penese, Jake Marketo and Mitch Rein comprise the extended bench.

That?s seven regular first-graders? and a total of 33 first grade games in 2011 spread among the other 11 players, with McKinnon and Penese on debut while Simmonds and Marketo are playing first grade for the first time in 2011.

Meanwhile the Titans will be looking to arrest the bumbling ways that have seen them register just three wins all year and just one win from their past six games. They were miserable again against the Panthers at home last week, well in the fight before capitulating with 26 missed tackles in the second half.

This week Joseph Tomane is back in the centres, pushing Bodene Thompson to the bench. Preston Campbell shifts from the bench to five-eighth to cover for Greg Bird. Anthony Laffranchi is a welcome return in the second row after nine weeks out, with Luke O?Dwyer to start for Harrison at lock. Ben Ridge and Brenton Lawrence are the new players on the bench.

However, the Titans have won only one of their past seven away games.

Here?s an idea for a raffle: guess which Dragon will score the side?s 200th try at WIN Jubilee? They sit on 199?

Watch Out Dragons: With no Jamie Soward in the Dragons? line-up Scott Prince won?t get a better opportunity to break the shackles and bounce back to form. The Titans? success over the past few years has revolved around Prince?s deep kicking game. Last year he booted to open space a remarkable 61 per cent of the time; under pressure this year that?s dropped to a run-of-the-mill 49 per cent.

Prince also gets the chance to send some runners through the inexperienced Dragons? defensive line. Last year Prince finished the year ranked third for try assists, with 15. At this point in the comp he?s ranked 40th with just three. We can?t see him not adding to that tally in this game.

Former Dragon Luke Bailey will be fired up to show his old side he?s still got it. Not that he has to. Bailey has played the third-most minutes of all front-rowers in 2011, accruing the third-most metres (129) with a substantial 32 tackles a game. (Last time he played at Kogarah, in Round 20 last year, he made a career-high 56 tackles.)

Danger Sign: Scott Prince is averaging fewer than eight runs a game so far ? if he runs the ball to the line four times in the opening 25 minutes (and we think he will) you?ll know he?s switched on.

Watch Out Titans: Up against this inexperienced opposition errors and lack of concentration loom as the biggest problems for the visitors. If the Titans can limit their mistakes and build pressure they can steal this game. Currently they make 14.8 errors a game ? the worst in the comp ? so they need to focus.

Danger Sign: The Dragons? right edge will be significantly under-manned in defence. If the likes of Bailey, Minichiello and Laffranchi get the opportunity to charge hard and often at Fien and newcomer McKinnon, while testing out Simmonds, the Titans may garner easy points.

Plays To Watch: Jason Nightingale returning kicks with a mix of cunning and dash; Ben Hornby dummying and running near halfway; Dan Hunt and Michael Weyman taking control of the ruck; Adam Cuthbertson playing a more expansive attacking role with plenty of offloads; Preston Campbell scheming for holes at five-eighth; David Mead?s speed; Prince upping his involvement; Minichiello trying his luck from close range.

Where It Will Be Won: Desire and territory. It all boils down to who wants this one the most. On the one hand, the rag-tag Dragons have their pride on the line, looking to protect their unbeaten run. On the other the Titans have pride on the line too, looking to avoid what some might construe an embarrassing defeat given the calibre of the opposition, even despite the Titans? lowly rank on the ladder.

The depleted Dragons will have a real challenge matching the go-forward of the Titans. Even with their best side the Red V concede the fourth-most metres to oppositions (1380) while the Titans concede the fourth fewest (1267).

Then there is the huge territory the Dragons will miss off the boot of Jamie Soward, who has punted the ball more thant six kilometres to date, helping the Dragons to a healthy 1400-metre lead in kicking metres over the next most prolific kickers Parramatta.

The History: Played 9; Dragons 7, Titans 2. The Dragons have won six of the past eight games but the Titans have won two of the past three, including a thrilling golden-point victory at Kogarah last year. The Dragons beat the Titans 25-16 in Round 1.

Conclusion: The Titans have been awful all year ? but despite that they have still been well in the mix in most games. Here they come up against as unorganised a side as you could wish for, so they have a huge chance of taking the premiers down.

Of course, it wouldn?t be any surprise to see the Dragons take the two points. But on balance, we see their unbeaten run ending here. The Titans by eight.

Match Officials: Referees ? Tony Archer & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials ? Steve Carrall & Luke Potter; Video Ref ? Steve Clark.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live from 7.30pm (NSW & Qld); Fox Sports ? Delayed 10.30pm.