Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rugby League season structure thread

Club captains plan summit on giving representative players a break

NRL captains will discuss the ongoing issue of scheduling for representative matches at a meeting next month, with Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer suggesting players should be stood down for six days after an Origin or Test match.

Concerns about player welfare surfaced again at the weekend, with Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith and St George Illawarra's Mark Gasnier both raising the issue after backing up from Origin I to play for their clubs on Sunday.

The Herald understands that club CEOs recently discussed standing Origin players down from last Friday night's matches but felt it was unfair on the clubs involved if other players could play on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

Senior players also spoke about the issue while in camp last week with the NSW and Queensland teams, and want a solution found.

They are also unhappy about extra representative matches being added at the end of the season, with Australia and New Zealand now due to meet in Newcastle on October 16 before both countries head to Britain for the Four Nations tournament.

''Whether there is a stand-alone weekend for Origin or something else, I think most people are now in agreeance that an alternative to the current situation has to be found,'' Rugby League Players' Association boss David Garnsey said.

The RLPA is due to start negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, with the current agreement expiring in October, but Garnsey said the players could hold off until the new independent commission was in place.

The players accept there is little that can be done until the next broadcasting deal is negotiated but want changes made as soon as the new deal is finalised.

''I accept that there is unlikely to be changes in the short term because the NRL has a deal with the networks but the next negotiations for TV rights and the CBA are when things have to change,'' said Lockyer, whose club coach, Anthony Griffin, has adopted a policy this season of resting his representative players after Test and Origin matches.

''I'd like to see a minimum stand-down after State of Origin like the AFL players have in their CBA that says they can't play again within six days of their last match.

''Origin is tough, but the worst one is playing for Australia or New Zealand on Friday night and then having to back up for your club on Saturday.''

Garnsey said the issue would be on the agenda at a meeting of club captains he is trying to organise after Origin II, when most of them are in Sydney, although scheduling of matches for the Broncos and Cowboys could derail those plans.

He also welcomed the appointment of league great Wayne Pearce as one of the inaugural eight members of the independent commission due to his close links with the game through his commentary work and son Mitchell, who plays for Sydney Roosters and NSW.

A phone hook-up today between the QRL, ARL and News Ltd is expected to put the commission a step closer to reality. QRL officials have indicated that they will sign the members agreement and agree to the constitution for the new body.

The Herald revealed on Saturday that Sydney Olympics boss Garry Pemberton, former Qantas chief financial officer Peter Gregg and IT guru and former international John Grant were also in line for the commission.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugb...#ixzz1Nsql2qw8
    JOIN THE NEW FORUM AT https://www.titansupporters.com/forum/

PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

if it were up to me the Origin matches would be held on a bye week. Not sure about the international matches though.

What do you all think?
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

I think that NRL matches are the bread and butter, the earner. I also think that Origin is oiur jewel in the crown. But Origin basically canibalises the NRL for many Rounds and ruins many big games for us. This has to end, end one day.

But I am an internationalist and believe we need international footy to ensure the future of our game and bring in new fans and revenue. I dont want to see the international season be cut into.

Truth is I think the best thing would be to trim the NRL season, ensure we get everything we can out of every match. Stand alone Origins supported by Tests between other nations such as Tonga v Saoma, PNG v Fiji.

We would also see an advantage in snycing out season with the northern hemisphere. And we could see England v Exiles or Wales v France.

Stand alone Origins is the way to go but we also need to product further TV games. Because the TV networks will want it, we want to maintain our ratings and the fans will get bored with only one game a weekend.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    I think that NRL matches are the bread and butter, the earner. I also think that Origin is oiur jewel in the crown. But Origin basically canibalises the NRL for many Rounds and ruins many big games for us. This has to end, end one day.

But I am an internationalist and believe we need international footy to ensure the future of our game and bring in new fans and revenue. I dont want to see the international season be cut into.

Truth is I think the best thing would be to trim the NRL season, ensure we get everything we can out of every match. Stand alone Origins supported by Tests between other nations such as Tonga v Saoma, PNG v Fiji.

We would also see an advantage in snycing out season with the northern hemisphere. And we could see England v Exiles or Wales v France.

Stand alone Origins is the way to go but we also need to product further TV games. Because the TV networks will want it, we want to maintain our ratings and the fans will get bored with only one game a weekend.
    Your on the right track Diehard...Maybe a Knockout Comp at the start of the year...NRL comp plays every team only once....stand alone Origins...focus on the International scene and get rid of the Anzac test...
    As a QLd'er, City/Country game doesn't worry me because it interrupts the Blues selections.

I would love a knock out competition. There needs to be something at the start of the season. Id love to see more support and finance for the NSW and QLD Cup competitions and the inclusion of teams from VIC, WA and PNG.

These teams can also compete against the big NRL teams.

I dont think competing NRL clubs need to deploy their stars in all cases. As a Titans fan I would delight in seeing playes such as Toopi, Capewell, Walker, Tomane, Brown as well as players contracted to our feeder teams such as Parfit, Barnes and Davis.

I also would love to see a return of the World 7s in the 9s format. But make it nationality based.

I would love a knock out competition. There needs to be something at the start of the season. Id love to see more support and finance for the NSW and QLD Cup competitions and the inclusion of teams from VIC, WA and PNG.

These teams can also compete against the big NRL teams.
    I would also love some kind of format that would allow any team in Australia getting an opportunity to play in the knockout comp...as long as the qualify through their local and broader regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    I would also love some kind of format that would allow any team in Australia getting an opportunity to play in the knockout comp...as long as the qualify through their local and broader regions.
    Bring back the Amco Cup!

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Bring back the Amco Cup!
    Can we bring back combined Brisbane?

I wrote a massive post on this subject.
    Prince even looked at it on Titans TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    I wrote a massive post on this subject.
    Prince even looked at it on Titans TV.
    Linky?.............

Linky?.............
    Would be here somewhere, I'm on phone can't search ATM, the bride is online shopping.
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Would be here somewhere, I'm on phone can't search ATM, the bride is online shopping.
    Why comment if your not going to give us a link?...you fruitcake

http://forum.titans.com.au/showthrea...highlight=Comp

Haha Choas shouldn't you be commenting in the only 2 threads you know about? Betting and continually calling for a 5/8. Even though you are a halfback

Hey Brad...When opening Coasters lnk I get this.....

shamus, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Can you fix??

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Hey Brad...When opening Coasters lnk I get this.....

shamus, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Can you fix??
    Don't give it to him Brad
    #itaintweaktospeak