Default Luke Douglas (New Signing for 2012) - 2011 Discussion

Cronulla prop Luke Douglas ends 133-game streak, will miss six weeks with medial ligament strain

Another of the NRL's ironmen has been struck down, with Cronulla prop Luke Douglas set to miss six weeks of football with a medial ligament strain.

Douglas, who will join Gold Coast Titans from 2012, had played 133 games unbroken since his debut for the Sharks in round two 2006.

Already in 2010 Manly's Michael Robertson had a 139-game streak ended by a knee injury, while Douglas's Sharks teammate John Morris's run of 150 straight matches was also stopped by a knee complaint.

The hat-trick of injuries means Canterbury-Bankstown captain Andrew Ryan has lost most of his rivals for the current longest unbroken streak in the NRL.

According to rugby league statistician David Middleton, since 2004 Ryan has only missed matches through State of Origin commitments - a run that has seen him line up for the Bulldogs for 161 matches in a row.

Douglas, who hopes to fast-track his recovery and be back in a month, admitted the injury was shattering.

"I've been lucky, I've had a pretty good run and unfortunately (the streak) comes to an end," Douglas told AAP.

"To tell you the truth I haven't had too many injuries, and even the injuries I have had over the years I've been able to get on the paddock.

"So I didn't really know what to go by or how to compare it to anything else, but I heard a little crack, so I knew something wasn't good.

"It's shattering news ... especially when we're down on a few troops and we need all hands on deck.

"I'll just be doing everything I can to make it heal as quick as it can."

Douglas's teammate Josh Cordoba (hamstring) will only miss Friday's home game against Brisbane Broncos.

Meanwhile, Newcastle Knights received some good news with halfback Jarrod Mullen learning that he had suffered only a partial tear of his pectoral muscle.

Mullen suffered the injury while tackling Parramatta halfback Jeff Robson in Saturday night's 8-6 win over the Eels.

It will rule him out for 6-8 weeks, but the news was welcomed by coach Rick Stone after the club had initially feared Mullen would miss the rest of the season.

Manly are sweating on scans to reveal the damage sustained by props George Rose (calf), Jason King (ankle) and Brent Kite (back) in Friday night's sparkling triumph over Brisbane.

St George Illawarra also face a nervous wait, with centre Matt Cooper and winger Brett Morris both expected to learn the full extent of injuries picked up in Sunday's victory over Wests Tigers.

Scans on Monday confirmed Morris had suffered a low-grade hamstring strain, putting him in doubt for New South Wales selection ahead of State of Origin II, while the in-form Cooper had scans on his hand and cheekbone.

A meeting with surgeons on Tuesday will determine Cooper's fate.

From that same game Tigers winger Matt Utai broke his left arm and will miss up two six weeks, while Sydney Roosters winger Steve Naughton will be sidelined for six weeks after breaking his collarbone in Saturday night's loss to North Queensland Cowboys.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Miracle man Luke Douglas back for Cronulla Sharks match against Brisbane Broncos

CRONULLA'S NRL ironman Luke Douglas is likely to play play against the Broncos tonight - just a few days after he was ruled out for six weeks with a medial ligament strain.

Douglas is every chance to run out onto Toyota Stadium to continue his amazing run of 133 straight games, stunning medical experts, coach Shane Flanagan and his Cronulla team mates.

Sharks medico Dr David Givney said it was the most stunning injury recovery he could recall, although adding: ``Nothing surprises you with Luke. It's just another example of this guy's incredible resiliance.

``When he came off on Sunday we thought it was a grade two to three medial ligament strain and the diagnosis was six weeks.

``He had scans on Monday which showed considerable bruising but only a minor strain. We were thinking he'd miss the Broncos game and maybe come back after the bye in two weeks.''

Coach Flanagan takes up the story.
    ``On Thursday he turned up at the stadium at 6am for ice treatment and physio,'' Flanagan said.

``He was still there when we left training at 7.30pm last night. True story. You've never seen anything like it.

``He asked to have a light run with the rest of the boys and he got through okay. He's just so professional.''

His manager Steve Gillis said the comeback was proof Douglas is determined to leave the Sharks on a high at the end of the year.

``Players have to make early decisions on their futures and Luke decided a month ago he was joining the Titans,'' Gillis said.

``This just shows where his loyalty stands with Cronulla until the day he leaves.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Hmm... Don't know about that - they should rest him another week to be on the safe side.

Heck rest him for the season and send him up here!

Hahaha true Boof, they shouldn't rush him.

Maybe more games under his belt here will improve him for us next year.

First Grader Sydney Titans Fanatic's Avatar

I cant wait to see him on the coast...I would rush him back to soon

He should sit out the rest of the season like Friend and get ready for next year.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

tough to see someone go down with injuries like this, but the good news is generally when a person has the injury happen and they come back stronger than ever.

Here's to hoping, right?

See ya on the Coast in 2012, Luke
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTitan View Post
    tough to see someone go down with injuries like this, but the good news is generally when a person has the injury happen and they come back stronger than ever.

Here's to hoping, right?

See ya on the Coast in 2012, Luke
    11 hitups for 90m, 40 tackles, 3 tackle breaks and 2 offloads in 60mins last night. I think he'll be ok
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

Junior

.. and less than a week after he was ruled out for 4 weeks.
    He is our best signing. Cant wait until he is up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    11 hitups for 90m, 40 tackles, 3 tackle breaks and 2 offloads in 60mins last night. I think he'll be ok
    nice! I wasn't able to watch the game yet. Awesome stat line
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"

I hope he doesn't have a get-out clause.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.