Exclamation Government to ban live sports betting ads

Government to ban live sports betting ads
    AAP | May 27, 2011

The federal government is expected to announce an end to the live updating of betting odds during the broadcast of sporting events.

Federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib will hold a teleconference with the NRL, AFL, ARU, Football Federation Australia, Cricket Australia and Netball Australia on Friday, The Daily Telegraph says.

Collingwood football club president and media personality Eddie McGuire told his radio program on Triple M radio in Melbourne on Friday that Senator Arbib would announce the ban after the meetings.

"My understanding is ... they will announce, or a push towards, a ban on odds mentioned during radio and TV broadcasts of sporting with the exception of pay and free to air racing," McGuire said.

The AFL has faced questions about recent plunges on exotic bets, leading to concerns that playing lists might have been deliberately leaked, while the NRL is also facing a similar issue with several people charged.

Player manager Sam Ayoub, former player John Elias and former Bulldogs forward Ryan Tandy have been charged over alleged illegal betting activity surrounding a round 24 NRL match between the Bulldogs and the Cowboys on August 21, 2010.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/gover...#ixzz1NWNiBhnF

Ban betting on sports in general... I'm sick of losing!

when I first started watching NRL this was one thing that threw me off since it never ever happens on sports here.

Probably a good idea to stop it, IMO.
    "You make sure they remember, *forever*, the night they played the Titans!"