Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

I am all for change and agree Lawton and Tomane must come in.

Taga would be pretty close not sure who to get rid of for him though - he lacks the work rate for prop he really needed to develop his game further over the past 12 months and he hasn't - that is on the coaches IMO.

As for Walker, I don't think he has ever looked a first grader, but can see the argument for giving him a few games to test - HOWEVER no NRL could ever have both him and Preston in the 17, let alone one with Mead and (the 2010-11 model) Prince already there.

Now available on iTunes
    iTunes Click here

New Episode:
    Round 10:
    We dust ourselves off, and prepare to face Manly on Monday night, i give my thoughts on who we should target as a new signing, and a fair bit more..
    LISTEN HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    Now available on iTunes
    iTunes Click here

New Episode of LegionTalk Podcast (audio version):
    Round 10:
    We dust ourselves off, and prepare to face Manly on Monday night, i give my thoughts on who we should target as a new signing, and a fair bit more..
    LISTEN HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

did I just read no change? well then, I predict no change to the result.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    We have had a real problem diffusing kicks. Campbell and Mead have proven over and over again that they aren't consistently proficient at it. I'm not sure Walker is either but that is based on limited vision - what I am sure of, is that Tomane is superior in the air to anyone else we have in our team and I'd love to see him bringing the ball back from kicks. He is a weapon which we have kept holstered too long. The back row is the reason we are suffering and Thompson needs to go back there and it needs to be shaken up. I think Tagataese has been fairly poor so far this year bar one game - I agree he should play some prop, but at Q Cup level for a while. Our props aren't going that badly, the back row is our major problem and until they can stick their tackles, hold onto the ball and not give away penalties, we won't win many games.

I agree that if we don't see dramatic improvement, Manly will tear us apart. I haven't seen odds that would lead me to bet on the Titans - would need to be over $3.50 head-to-head to get me interested. Manly will win 13+ unless we have the most dramatic of turn-arounds.
    You dont know whether Walker is proficient at it? it is one of the reasons he isnt fullback now. Presto had an off game, name a outside back that can diffuse 75% of the contested bombs thrown his way. I saw slater drop 3 the other night.

Im of the belief that Bailey doesnt have a partner to help him, the 2nd row is fine. You want Bodene out of the centre bad aye He has almost nailed that spot down now. If Kevin didnt get injured on the week he did the right centre was going to be Esi's.

I love Bodene as a player but I think he would improve our back row which is misfiring. The major issue with the back row is they all like the left hand edge, even Harrison who is playing in the middle. I would shuffle Bodene onto the right edge with Mead and Tomane outside him switching between wing and centre in attach and defence.

I also think Mead is shaky under the high ball and I really want Tomane to be given a decent crack. Preston has been great and has proven himself under the high ball, he does have games where he doesn't get near them though and in those games we can't compete. I think Walker will be a star in the NRL just like Ben Barba, but it won't be as a Titan because he's not getting what he needs from us and that is time in first grade.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Quote Originally Posted by Supergoose View Post
    I also think Mead is shaky under the high ball and I really want Tomane to be given a decent crack.
    Can't agree with this. I think Mead looks very comfortable under a high ball. The only reason he has trouble defusing kicks and producing any attacking plays from kicks is because he lacks height. Tomane would certainly help in that department at least, but as I said, I still have doubts about Tomane.

Agree about Bodene belonging in the back row, but maybe give him some time and see if he can develop a better combination with Mead on that side first before shifting him.
    Last edited by gotitans101; 11-05-11 at 03:49 PM.

I was all for moving Bodene to the back row until we saw him discover that he actually had a man outside him - I'm interested to see if the combination with Mead is starting to gel or if it was a one off

What we also need is a good crowd, it is always hard on Monday night footy, but let's all try and get a big crowd there.

CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS FOR TITANS V MANLY ON TICKETEK
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Junior Titan

The team that runs out for the titans on Monday night will not be the team that has been named. Expect a few changes

Quote Originally Posted by gotitans101 View Post
    Can't agree with this. I think Mead looks very comfortable under a high ball. The only reason he has trouble defusing kicks and producing any attacking plays from kicks is because he lacks height. Tomane would certainly help in that department at least, but as I said, I still have doubts about Tomane.

Agree about Bodene belonging in the back row, but maybe give him some time and see if he can develop a better combination with Mead on that side first before shifting him.
    That is spot on, it's the same for Kevin aswell.

They both look real comfortable taking the bombs when it's directed at them and it's not contested. As soon as it's 50/50, they are arms stretched out trying to take it with their hands because they are usually the shorter man. 50/50 bombs are just that.

Im all for Tomane coming in, but can agree with Bo being booted for it when he just played one of his better games of the year.

Titans v Sea Eagles preview

NRL.com Thu, May 12, 2011 - 8:30 AM

Titans v Sea Eagles
    Skilled Park
    Monday 7pm

Remember the Titans? The team that knew how to soak up pressure and bounce back from the wrong side of the scoreboard in matches better than most?

Yeah, we remember; it was only last year. But with every game of the 2011 season those recollections grow dimmer than a Darius Boyd post-match interview.

With just three wins from nine games the Titans languish in 14th place on the NRL ladder. Their form of late has been a little Jekyll-and-Hyde ? a rousing 20-14 win at home in Round 6 followed by a deflating 22-18 loss to the struggling Eels. Then came further promise with a demolition of the Roosters, before last week?s demoralising home loss to the Warriors, who had several players backing up from Test duty. They?re catching a wave, but seemingly are just not able to ride it.

Meanwhile the Sea Eagles are performing pretty much as expected. They sit in fourth place with a 6-3 win record, the Raiders their latest victims after a merciless 20-0 thrashing on a quagmire Brookvale Oval last Monday night. The game was notable for Brett Stewart?s return after a five-game injury absence, the star fullback registering a try hat-trick to take his career tally to 101.

Personnel-wise the home side welcomes back Luke Bailey ? who re-signed during the week for two more years, tying him to the club through 2013 ? as a starting prop, with Michael Henderson reverting to the bench. Mark Minichiello and Ben Ridge swap their roles from last week, with Minichiello starting in the second row and Ridge benched.

Sea Eagles co-captain Jason King returns at prop, with George Rose dropping to the bench. Jamie Buhrer will play as an interchange, with Joe Galuvao starting in the second row.

Watch Out Titans: Errors are killing the Titans and they aren?t recovering the way they have in recent years. The Titans rank rock bottom for dropped balls and turnovers with 14 a game. This has put pressure on their defence, and they?re now missing 34 tackles a game in 2011. Meanwhile the Sea Eagles rank middle of the road for errors with 11.9 ? but miss the second fewest tackles of all teams by just 0.1 per cent to the Melbourne Storm (26.1 to 26.2).

Conceding offloads is also hurting them. Last week the Warriors put them to the sword on the back of 36 offloads that triggered second-phase play. The Sea Eagles are making almost 13 a game, ranking them among the league leaders.

Kieran Foran continues to grow in the No.6 jersey for the Sea Eagles. The Kiwi showed his wonderful versatility slipping into halfback for the Kiwis last Friday before leading the way against the Raiders last Monday. The 20-year-old ranks among the leading five-eighths for line-break assists (with six, ranked second), tackle-breaks (24, ranked third) and try assists (eight, ranked fourth). He continues to take the pressure off Jamie Lyon, who has shouldered much of the playmaking burden at Brookvale in recent years.

Danger Sign: Brett Stewart?s hat-trick last week would still be giving Titans coach John Cartwright heart palpitations. The speedy No.1 has crossed six times in only four outings against the Gold Coast. A double here would see him become the seventh Sea Eagle to notch multiple four-pointers in three consecutive games against the same team.

Watch Out Sea Eagles: For all their faults in 2011 the Titans still boast immense speed in their backline. Five-eighth William Zillman ranks fourth for tries with six, just ahead of centre Steve Michaels, while David Mead (176 metres last week, with seven tackle-breaks and three line-breaks) has really come into his own in the past fortnight, bagging four tries.

Then there?s jack-in-the-box Preston Campbell; he had one of his five worst career games against the Warriors (with three howling errors) and will be desperate to make amends for home fans who struggled through last week.

Bodene Thompson is a bit of a ?sleeper? talent in the centres ? last week he was a standout in a beaten side, running 93 metres with two try assists and five offloads.

Danger Sign: Preston Campbell likes nothing more than lining up against the Sea Eagles ? he is ranked 10th for all-time tackle-breaks (614) and has averaged almost four every time he plays them, his most against any opponent.

Plays To Watch: Luke Bailey yelling ?follow me, boys!? and charging into the opposition; Preston Campbell seizing the initiative and sparking some raids from long range; Scott Prince getting more involved than he has been recently ? his grubber behind the Manly defence should feature prominently providing the side can work into the required field position; David Mead?s electrifying speed; Kieran Foran?s magnificent creativity; Steve Matai?s offloads; Brett Stewart trailing Daly Cherry-Evans and Foran around like a nagging, hungry toddler in a supermarket.

Where It Will Be Won: Individual performances that spark a united effort. The Titans need to get inspiration from somewhere and possibly Bailey?s return could be the catalyst.

There are intriguing match-ups throughout: Campbell v Stewart; Michael Robertson v David Mead; Foran v Prince (not the same positions but each will be depended on as the key playmaker).

The Titans need a lot more from their ruck players if they are to get back into winning mode. Last week hooker Riley Brown made a modest 45 receives, with Preston Campbell registering a team-high 49 in the No.1 jersey ? Campbell is a part-time player these days and he simply had too much on his plate.

But ultimately they need Scott Prince to step up. The captain?s figures aren?t all that flash. Last year he was among the best halfbacks for conjuring line-break assists (19 ? ranked third) and try assists (25 ? ranked second). This year he?s a lowly 11th for line-break assists (just two) and 13th for try assists (three). His missed tackles continue to mount too ? he has 30 through nine games compared to 70 through 21 games in 2010.

The History: Played 7, Sea Eagles 4, Titans 3. The Titans have won three of the past four games between the sides, including both games in 2010 ? the last encounter a 28-10 win at home. At Skilled Park the ledger favours the home side 2-1.

Conclusion: The Titans are certainly capable of matching it with the Sea Eagles but unfortunately based on their recent form we would be guessing if that was going to be the case this week. We?d say the home ground advantage could be a deciding factor ? except they?ve lost three of five games at home so far.

Having said that? we have a hunch this could be the Titans? night. You?ve been warned.

Match Officials: Referees ? Gavin Badger & Adam Devcich; Sideline Officials ? Michael Wise & Henry Perenara; Video Ref ? Chris Ward.

Televised: Fox Sports ? Live 7pm.
    #itaintweaktospeak

come on boys we need this one

If winning isn't everything, then why do they keep score?

Surely the boys are fired up after last weeks loss, on paper they can win this

Gold Coast Titans v Manly Sea Eagles
    Skilled Park, Gold Coast, Monday 7pm (AEST)

Stats: Head-to-head
    Referees: Gavin Badger, Adam Devcic
    TV: Live, FoxSports 2

Greg Prichard writes: The Titans are a shadow of the team that made the finals the last two years. They are trying hard to stick at it, and have at least won three of their last six games after losing each of their first three, but it has been a struggle. None of their wins has been comfortable. In one of them they stole victory from not just the jaws of defeat against the Raiders, it was already being digested, and a late try got them home against the Tigers. Even in their 24-13 win over the Roosters they were behind inside the last 20 minutes.

The Titans have a lot of older players on their roster, and have already made moves to bring the average age of their squad down by signing Jamal Idris and Luke Douglas for next season. But the challenge of trying to get something real happening this season remains, and they were sat on their backsides when the Warriors thrashed them on the Gold Coast last weekend. The Titans are 2-3 at home this season, and the Sea Eagles are 2-3 away. The Sea Eagles have won four of their last five, and their defence has been solid recently.

TITANS: Preston Campbell, Steve Michaels, Esi Tonga, Bodene Thompson, David Mead, William Zillman, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Riley Brown, Matthew White, Greg Bird, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Michael Henderson, Ryan James, Ben Ridge, Luke O'Dwyer, Kayne Lawton (one to be omitted).

SEA EAGLES: Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Jamie Lyon (capt), Steve Matai, Will Hopoate, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Jason King (capt), Matt Ballin, Brent Kite, Anthony Watmough, Joe Galuvao, Glenn Stewart. Interchange: Vic Mauro, Jamie Buhrer, George Rose, Tony Williams, Tim Robinson (one to be omitted).

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER