View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Titans First Grader goldcoastitans's Avatar

to be honest i know a lot of people are going to disagree but its just the way i feel, i think it will be good for him and us ....we turned the baddest player in NRL around when nobody wanted to give him another chance (chris walker) so why cant we do it again....and i think the team needs a bad boy ....every team has someone that gets under the other teams skin and we dont ...and for penalties ....we already leading that part of the NRL so it wont hurt us in that department
    BECOME ONE OF US - BECOME A LEGIONNAIRE!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldcoastitans View Post
    to be honest i know a lot of people are going to disagree but its just the way i feel, i think it will be good for him and us ....we turned the baddest player in NRL around when nobody wanted to give him another chance (chris walker) so why cant we do it again....and i think the team needs a bad boy ....every team has someone that gets under the other teams skin and we dont ...and for penalties ....we already leading that part of the NRL so it wont hurt us in that department
    Come on dude they are abit diff.

1. Was just getting drunk....

2. Getting drunk and for wat he did to his so called love one come on....

PPL sit back and read the paper and see a bloke has glassed his girlfriend nd ppl are like hope he goes to jail cause its onething to do it to a person but to do it to a chick come on..... But alot of ppl have no prob giving this guy 200k a year...

IMO if he gets off and than the titans sign him or any other club how has he paid for wat he did his playing footy now over there so ****ing stay there....

He bashed a chick wheather he gets off or not he STILL did it...

Lets hope the NRL wont let him back in.....

im not going to disagree on what he did to his partner ...that was very unacceptable and i do hope he cops some time behind bars but once he has done his time ....i do think he deserves a second chance in NRL ...but not with his girlfriend

think about it this way if you were a bank manager and u glass your wife ...and cop it pretty bad ...it doesnt make you a worse bank manager it just makes u a bad partner to be with ....and people will know what u do at home but at work you the same old guy

so on the NRL field he is still a tough worked and one of the best NRL players in his age group what he does off the footy field needs to be sorted out but i will happily allow him in to my NRL team under the strict instructions they would give him

Quote Originally Posted by DIEHARD View Post
    For me personally, no thanks. I could never embrace him. And it isn't about just one player, that one player is part of the team. No matter what he'd offer on the field, I don't think it would be a good look for the Titans to have him on board.

Look elsewhere please.
    Totally agree. Sorry, but we do not need his type at the Titans!

im not going to disagree on what he did to his partner ...that was very unacceptable and i do hope he cops some time behind bars but once he has done his time ....i do think he deserves a second chance in NRL ...but not with his girlfriend

think about it this way if you were a bank manager and u glass your wife ...and cop it pretty bad ...it doesnt make you a worse bank manager it just makes u a bad partner to be with ....and people will know what u do at home but at work you the same old guy

so on the NRL field he is still a tough worked and one of the best NRL players in his age group what he does off the footy field needs to be sorted out but i will happily allow him in to my NRL team under the strict instructions they would give him
    I get what you're saying, but I never liked him as a player even before the glassing happened. If they'd talked about signing him back then I'd still be saying no.

His Sharks team mates describe him as a cry baby. Sooks and cries over every little thing. But he's man enough to glass his girlfriend in the face then blame it on his best mate. Yeah, still don't want him.

Default Re Greg Bird

I am disgusted that Michael Searle could think about signing Greg Bird.

I have read the so called comparison between him and Chris Walker, Chris had an alcohol problem, I have friends who have the same problem and with help from AA ect have turned their lives around like Chris, it takes guts and determination to do this and full marks to Chris for turning his life around as it is not an easy thing to do. I have the utmost respect for him.

Greg Bird is something else, he glassed his partner, as a domestic violence survivor I will NOT continue in a club that will sign someone like that. He is making excuses still, has he admitted to what he has done and got help....NO.

He has used his mate to try to weasel out of what he did, what scum. Is this what the Titans are gonna portray to the fans, that domestic violence is OK? what happened to being a family club?

I have followed the club since it started and have not missed a home game, I am a Titanium member. Have I signed for 2010, NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!

If Greg Bird is signed, I will not.

I spent years in therapy to get over what happened to me, do I want this scum in my team, NO

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiev View Post

I have read the so called comparison between him and Chris Walker, Chris had an alcohol problem, I have friends who have the same problem and with help from AA ect have turned their lives around like Chris, it takes guts and determination to do this and full marks to Chris for turning his life around as it is not an easy thing to do. I have the utmost respect for him.
    There is no so called comparison ....the only part i was comparing is that they both at separate times got labelled as the "bad boy" of NRL

as for what they did to get that name to very very very different cases ...all im saying is give the guy a chance with STRICT STRICT instructions ...if he blows it well then obviously he cant change and the Gold Coast will be a very good place for him to try change cause there are many ways for him to get into trouble around here

and Chris Walker (who is my favorite player) i give him full credit for his off field behaviour....everytime i went out with him or saw him out he was on the water while all his friends were messy ...so the club and strict instrustions have worked for him ...now to change the next wounded NRL star

And i know there are going to be a few members here and there that not going to agree with it ...but we cant always agree on the players the Titans choose ....and IMO if you cant support a team you have loved since the beginning because of one player then you not a true titans fan

i mean i hated Ben Jefferies and still have no idea why we signed him, i have my doubts about Delaney ...doesnt mean im gonna stop supporting the team...and yeh i know you gonna say well they didnt do any off field incidence but if we talking about that ...does Laffranchi stop Titans members from watching the game ....i know he got cleared for the charges but he did sleep with that girl and it did cause a major stir

do the belovered Bulldogs fans stop supporting the team cause a bunch of players are involved in a gangbang in Coffs

common there is a lot of crap that goes on in NRL ....

ok ive had my say lol

sorry if no one agrees .....
    Last edited by goldcoastitans; 23-09-09 at 11:22 AM.

Greg Bird is something else, he glassed his partner, as a domestic violence survivor I will NOT continue in a club that will sign someone like that. He is making excuses still, has he admitted to what he has done and got help....NO.

He has used his mate to try to weasel out of what he did, what scum. Is this what the Titans are gonna portray to the fans, that domestic violence is OK? what happened to being a family club?

I have followed the club since it started and have not missed a home game, I am a Titanium member. Have I signed for 2010, NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!!!

I spent years in therapy to get over what happened to me, do I want this scum in my team, NO

You need to send this to the Titans, i know alot of people that feel the same way.

Should we give him a chance, IMO no way. We are a football club, not a half way house, for criminals. Our job is to win the GF not fix every broken player we find in the gutter.

And if i could choose to win a GF with Bird, or the wooden spoon without him, i would be grabbing that wooden spoon as fast as i can, and be proud of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

...does Laffranchi stop Titans members from watching the game ....i know he got cleared for the charges but he did sleep with that girl and it did cause a major stir

do the belovered Bulldogs fans stop supporting the team cause a bunch of players are involved in a gangbang in Coffs

Boof Yeah slept with a girl who wanted the same thing.....

Bulldogs lost 35% of memembers wen that happen yeah so the fans didnt like it.... The club paid for it... And so will the Titans if they sign them....

And Birds girl didnt want a glass in the face....

Yes Please send this to the titans if u need a e-mail to get it to them PM me and i'll giv u one.....

Ok if u dont like the idea of the titans signing BIRD feel free to send ur Feedback - please email jade.robinson@titans.com.au

Thanks for that Doug. No matter your opinion the club is always eager to hear what you have to say.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Signing Bird could bring troubles home to roost

GREG Bird in a Gold Coast Titans jumper. Just take a moment to picture it.

A club that prides itself on being family friendly, its work in the community and values the role of women in league signing a player convicted of glassing his girlfriend (an appeal is pending).

How the Titans think signing Bird, even being linked with the guy, is a good idea defies belief.

The backlash from fans has already started. The official Titans fan forum was yesterday loaded with messages from angry individuals blasting the club's decision to consider the move.

And it is not hard to understand why.

Right from the beginning, the Titans have made a point of signing the man, not the player.

This cornerstone ethos of the club should not be sacrificed in the sole pursuit of on-field success.

In a strictly footy sense, Bird would prove a great acquisition for the Gold Coast.

The former NSW and Australian five-eighth would add a bit of mongrel to the backline, or valuable depth to their back row stocks.

While he does have deficiencies in his playmaking ability, Bird is the type of player who would complement a dominant halfback like Scott Prince.

But the Titans will have to decide if the benefit Bird might bring on the paddock outweighs the cost.

And there will be a cost.

There is no doubt they will lose fans over this decision and alienate female supporters, not to mention the impact it could have on sponsors.

Titans coach John Cartwright has a theory that goes something like this: "If you put a good guy in with a bunch of losers he will probably turn into a loser, but put a loser in with a bunch of good guys and there is a chance he will turn into a good guy."

It was this train of thought that saw him hand troubled flyer Chris Walker a career lifeline three years ago, which at the time was also a controversial move.

Walker has turned his life around and the Titans have said they want to help Bird do the same thing.

But it is incredibly unfair to Walker to put him in the same bracket as Bird.

Everyone deserves a second chance. No doubt about that.

But Bird has already got his, a contract with UK Super League club Catalans Dragons.

If he wants to return to the NRL, let him do it with another club.

What would the Titans do if one of their players turns around tomorrow and smashes a glass in his girlfriend's face?

No doubt, like Cronulla did, they would kick him out the door.

So why sign a bloke who has already been found guilty of doing that very thing?

You only have to look at the Sydney Roosters this year to see what happens when you start signing the player before the man.

They were probably a bunch of good blokes once too.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

I would love to be Titan: Greg Bird

CONTROVERSIAL rugby league star Greg Bird would love nothing more than to repay the Titans with an NRL premiership if they throw him a lifeline.

Currently fighting a conviction of recklessly wounding his girlfriend, Bird has had discussions with the Titans over a deal to play here next year.

"I would love to come to the Gold Coast," said Bird through his Gold Coast-based manager Chris Orr.

"One of the reasons I want to return to the NRL is to win a premiership and the way the Titans played this year, with the quality players they have on their roster, they aren't far away.

"If I was given the chance to come to the Gold Coast what better way to say thanks than by being part of a premiership campaign."

Bird, playing for French club Catalans Dragons in the UK Super League, is looking to return to the NRL next season if he can overturn a conviction for recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.

His appeal will be heard on November 23 and 24 with his new legal team and partner (Katie) beside him. Bird is hopeful of having the conviction overturned and then getting his life back.

Titans boss Michael Searle has confirmed discussions have been held with Bird.

The next step is a planned meeting with Bird, Searle and coach John Cartwright in the UK next month.

Searle is adamant that the motivating factor for the Bird talks was an attempt to turn the former Sharks player's life around.

Orr said he had suggested the liaison after seeing first hand the influence the Titans club had on another of his clients, Chris Walker.

Walker came to the Titans in 2007 on an opportunity after a number of turbulent seasons with other NRL clubs. He infuriated club officials by being involved in a drunken nightclub incident early in the club's debut season.

But instead of dumping the wayward former Origin player, the Titans reprimanded him and placed him on a rehabilitation program that is the talk of the league.

Walker became a model player on and off the field.

"You look at Chris Walker's image prior to coming here," said Orr. "Those who did not know him had a different opinion of him to what they have now. He has won community awards up here. He has done a fantastic job for the Titans.

"It has been such a fantastic relationship for the Titans and for Chris Walker. I am happy to be attending his wedding next month down in Byron.

"So many good things have come from him coming here.

"I am hoping that will be the same case with Greg Bird."

Orr said Bird was no lost cause.

"The bloke is 25 years of age and has never been in trouble with police prior to this incident and has been involved in many charity events throughout his career," said Orr.

"Hopefully the truth will come out by the end of this court case and his image will be rectified and he can build on it.

"He can come here and do a lot of good on and off the field.

"This is a club (the Titans) that cares about its players."

And Orr said there was 'no doubt' Bird could be a huge boost to the Titans premiership hopes.

"He would be a massive asset. If the Gold Coast can come to the party Greg knows it is an opportunity not a money contract," he said. "Money has nothing to do with it. If it did, he would stay in Super League. But he misses family, the NRL and the people in it and the challenge of it."

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

The top article Diehard posted is spot on. No guarantees he's the missing piece of the puzzle anyway. He was with the sharks for a few years and we all know how many premierships they've won.

The fact the dogs or Souths haven't gone near him should tell us all we need to know.