View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Hahahaha.....
    Listen to all you Chris Walker fan hypocrites!
    If I could care more about it, I would dig up some old threads when we signed Chris Walker, and before and after his episodes. It would be interesting to read some responses from back then and compafe them to his percieved image today.

Bird should be entitled to the same chances as Walker was.
    I think Bird is a grub, and I know I have bagged the sh!t out of him before, but he is a bloody good footballer.
    If Searle & Co. and prepared to open their arms for him, then so am I.
    He would add some much needed mongrel to our team on the field, and if our quacks can keep him out of trouble off the field - then he would be a good all-round signing.

If the Titans can achieve on Bird what they did on Walker, then it would be 'gold' as far as the clubs image is concerned.

It's a 'yes' from me......
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

i agree with you here but C. Walker didn't Glass his GF......

so we cant really compare the two.....but i think Bird would HAVE to see this as an unbeleivable chance to get his career on track, therefore not stuff up and instead, be very appreciative........

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

i dnt see him at a 5/8 anyway, his more of a 2nd rower.
    and tbh, we need a new 2nd rower to put pressure on our current ones to preform tbh
    but dnt knwo if bird is right for our club

Quote Originally Posted by GCT_89 View Post
    i agree with you here but C. Walker didn't Glass his GF......

so we cant really compare the two.....but i think Bird would HAVE to see this as an unbeleivable chance to get his career on track, therefore not stuff up and instead, be very appreciative........
    Walker and Bird are the same sh!t, just different smell. Alcohol and attitude related problems. Bird obviously has a nastier charge to his name - but where do you draw the line? It was ok to let a cocaine user back into the comp. Lets face it, the NRL is full of criminal thugs, some get away with more than others....
    Who really knows what actually happened with Bird and his girlfriend, but the only two people who were in that room are both saying it never happened that way.

This is a good opportunity for both the club and bird himself.
    The girl from the ring watched a highlights reel of Greg Bird, she died 7 days later.....

yea i see what your saying.....its not like bird is a serial glasser....lol
    alcohol can fuel anything and Walker and other NRL players are lucky it doesnt impact there life the same it did with Bird....

i guess we'll all see it play out over the next few months.....

i will respect any decision the club makes (we owe them that much) but im not about to start harping on about how he doesnt suit our club or neither am i about to beg us to sign him......i'll quite gladly sit on the fence for this one.......

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Default Titans keen to get a Bird in the hand

TITANS managing director Michael Searle said bad boy Greg Bird would join the club only under strict conditions including an active involvement in the club's community programs.

Searle yesterday confirmed the club had held discussions with Bird in the interests of helping him turn his life around after they were contacted by the player's manager Gavin Orr.

Bird, playing for French club Catalans Dragons in the UK Super League, is looking to return to the NRL next season if he can overturn a conviction for recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.

His appeal will be heard on November 23 and 24, after he was sentenced to a minimum of eight months in jail for the August 2008 glassing attack.

While the acquisition of Bird's signature would bolster the playing stocks, Searle said helping the former NSW State of Origin star to get his life in order was the motivating factor for the Titans.

"(Any offer) would be an incentive-based contract, a one season deal not dissimilar to what the club did with Chris Walker," Searle told The Bulletin yesterday.

"I'm sure Greg would be weighing up much bigger cash offers from other clubs, France included, but I don't know if we are any closer to having a commitment, but that is where we are at.

"We would want to speak with Greg and his girlfriend to work through their relationship subject to the court appeal outcome and he would have to be actively involved in a lot of the club's community projects.

"I would be happier if we made a positive influence on his life first and foremost and if he goes well in his football then that's good too."

Searle and Titans coach John Cartwright will meet Bird when they travel to the UK next month for the Four Nations tournament.

The Titans' strict conditions will be outlined at that meeting.

"When you're involved with athletes who have had challenges in their past it's important that they have a sense of community as well," said Searle.

"From our point of view that would be an important part of his commitment to the club, that he genuinely wants to make good and it show that this is what our club is about.

"I think we have the sort of players that would work very well with him, you know the Preston Campbells of the world who would help him through it.

"It's certainly a very challenging time for him ... I'm not saying it's going to happen but we are happy to help out."

While bracing for a public backlash if Bird signed with the Titans, Searle said it was more important to help him get his life back on track.

"We will be condemned by some that it's the wrong message we are sending, but I think making a positive difference to anyone's life is important," said Searle.

"It's not something that we have jumped into, these discussions have been in the air for a couple of months and while we haven't made any decision (signing him) is something we would consider.

"We have had outstanding success in working with players who have had challenges and making a positive difference to both the player and their family's lives."

With the outcome of the appeal to decide Bird's fate, Searle would not rule out the possibility of throwing the 25-year-old a lifeline even if he was forced to serve jail time.

"Having spoken to the guy, I know how determined he is to have the truths come out about his case and that's a good thing," said Searle.

"He wants that right to tell how it happened and then after that there is an obligation from all of us that even if he does serve his time that he is repaid his due, that people get involved and try and help him through. The game owes him that."

NRL chief executive David Gallop refused to be drawn on the possibility of Bird's return to the NRL.

"We will wait for the outcome of Greg's appeal before we consider the matter further," he said.

www.goldcoast.com.au

Default Titans look to help Greg Bird

TITANS managing director Michael Searle has confirmed the Gold Coast club is willing to help disgraced NRL bad boy Greg Bird turn his life around.

Searle said the club had held discussions with Bird, after they were contacted by his manager Gavin Orr.

But he stressed if Bird was to join the club it would be under strict conditions, including an active involvement in the club's community programs.

``It would be an incentive based contract, a one-season deal not dissimilar to what the club did with Chris Walker,'' Searle told The Bulletin.

``We would want to speak with (Bird) and his girlfriend to work through their relationship subject to the court appeal outcome and he would have to be actively involved in a lot of the club's community projects.''

Bird is looking to return to the NRL next season if he can overturn a conviction for recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.

His appeal will be heard on November 23 and 24, after he was sentenced to a minimum of eight months in jail for the August 2008 attack.

He is currently playing for French club Catalan Dragons in the UK Super League.

Acknowledging there may be some backlash for the club's stance, Searle said it was more important to help the 25-year-old his life back on track.

``I'm sure we will be condemned by some that it's the wrong message we are sending, but I think making a positive difference to anyone's life is important,'' said Searle, who along with coach John Cartwright will meet with Bird next month, when they go to the UK for the Four Nations tournament.

``It's not something that we have jumped into, these discussion have been in the air for a couple of months and while we haven't made any decision (signing him) is something we would consider.''

``We have had outstanding success in working with players who have had challenges and making a positive difference to both the player and their family's lives.''

While the acquisition of Bird's signature would bolster the playing stocks, Searle said getting his life in order was a far bigger priority including his involvement within the community.

``I would be happier if we made a positive influence on his life first and foremost and if he goes well in his football then that's good too,'' said Searle.

``When you're involved with athletes who have had challenges or challenges in their past it's important that they have a sense of community as well.''

``From our point of view that would be an important part of his commitment to the club, that he genuinely wants to make good and it shows that this is what our club is about.''

www.goldcoast.com.au

A lot of the female Titans fans I have spoken to can't believe we'd even consider it.

What worries me is, doing something like this, particularly in the coming battle for the coast with other codes. We should not be giving them any bullets to fire at us, we should starve them of oxygen. And any headline about Greg Bird speculation takes away from positive Titans build up.

Let's focus on 2010, be positive and excited. Boost our fans and memberships. Not focus on Bird speculation.

To me this is a wedge issue. It could potentially wedge between the club and fans. I'm not saying it is some sort of doomsday button, but anything that even remotely dampens people's enthusiasm for this great club concerns me.

We are already copping crap from fan's of rival teams. Imagine match days if we field Greg Bird...

And I don't see the benefit of little Johnny or Jilly coming home from a Titans school visit and showing their parents a poster signed by Greg Bird as being a good thing. It's all about cut through, getting our message out there as clearly and as effectively as possible. And attempting to explain why Greg is there in the first place is wasting our chance to really fly the flag for positive lifestyles, Titans and Rugby League.

Even the keenest rugby league fans would struggle to come to terms with his signature. But the majority of the people out there, the people we want to win over, the parents, kids and females, they are on the very outer limit of the rugby league solar system. So when they see the words Titans and Greg Bird in the same sentence, it is going to raise alarm bells.

GCAFL would delight if we did this. Starve them of oxygen and bury them in unstoppable Titans momentium as we build on a fantastic 2009.

It's time to try and get all those brand new Titans fans we have gotten this year and make them into Titans Members.
    Last edited by DIEHARD; 22-09-09 at 01:43 PM.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

What the hell is Searle thinking? Bird is a disgrace, there is no way I want that thing at our club and I'm sure a lot of women who support us wouldn't either. Think of the fans Searle ffs.

Agree 100% Diehard,

What Searle says about helping a fallen star and all that, is a great approach in life and i respect it greatly, i wish more CEO's had the same attitude, BUT this does not excuse this bloke, i want nothing to do with him, i hope he sorts his life out i truly do, but he can do it as far away from this club as possible.

I also find it disgusting the comparison between Bird and Walker, Walker had a alcohol problem, it effected his work, and his social life.

Bird was convicted of glassing a woman in the face, and then blaming his best mate for it, not even remotely the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Hahahaha.....
    Listen to all you Chris Walker fan hypocrites!
    If I could care more about it, I would dig up some old threads when we signed Chris Walker, and before and after his episodes. It would be interesting to read some responses from back then and compafe them to his percieved image today.

Bird should be entitled to the same chances as Walker was.
    I think Bird is a grub, and I know I have bagged the sh!t out of him before, but he is a bloody good footballer.
    If Searle & Co. and prepared to open their arms for him, then so am I.
    He would add some much needed mongrel to our team on the field, and if our quacks can keep him out of trouble off the field - then he would be a good all-round signing.

If the Titans can achieve on Bird what they did on Walker, then it would be 'gold' as far as the clubs image is concerned.

It's a 'yes' from me......
    I was going to write something similar. You saved my little ole typing fingers.

Helen

Prefer players at the club we can get behind and cheer for tbh.

Bird doesn't fit that category. It's a nice spin Searle has put on things, but opposition will give us heaps if we go through with this.

We already lost karma points over the clubs defence of Zillman which I think is unfair because I don't think he bit. We'll lose big time over signing Bird.

If they put pen to paper i might hav to re-think next year........

thinks the titans should forget about Bird nd look else where if they want to keep the great image they hav made ova the past 3yrs....

Default Greg Bird will face strict conditions if he signs with the Titans

A meeting in France next month with Titans managing director Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright is likely to determine whether disgraced playmaker Greg Bird is given a chance to resurrect his NRL career on the Gold Coast.

The Titans have spoken with Bird's management about signing the former Sharks five-eighth to an incentive-based deal next year.

While the timing of the deal is dependent on the outcome of Bird's appeal against an eight-month jail-term for glassing his American girlfriend Katie Milligan, Searle said his club's interest would not necessarily wane if Bird served time.

He stressed if Bird was to join the club it would be under strict conditions, including an active involvement in the club's community programs.

"It would be an incentive-based one-season deal not dissimilar to what the club did with Chris Walker," Searle said.

"We would want to speak with Greg and his girlfriend, given they are still together, to work through the mechanics of their relationship.

"The club has a good record of working with troubled athletes and making a positive contribution to their lives."

Bird is currently playing for French club Catalan Dragons but is keen to return to Australia. His appeal will be heard on November 23 and 24.

Searle said he expected the Titans to be criticised for even considering signing Bird.

"If he hadn't approached us first we probably wouldn't have been talking about it. But having looked into the background a bit more, sometimes I think you have an obligation to give a guy a second chance," Searle said.

"Carty has had some dealings with Greg before through State of Origin and has only given positive reports.

"Maybe he struggled with the Sydney environment and he wouldn't be the first to do that."

www.foxsports.com.au