View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Titans and Greg Bird

Discussion about Greg Bird and the Titans....
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

Dont want the low life here...........................

Titans look to help Greg Bird

Jake Dew | September 21st, 2009

Greg Bird set to be hit by Petero Civoniceva during a State of Origin match in 2008. The Titans have expressed interest in the utility.

TITANS managing director Michael Searle has confirmed the Gold Coast club is willing to help disgraced NRL bad boy Greg Bird turn his life around.

Searle said the club had held discussions with Bird, after they were contacted by his manager Gavin Orr.

But he stressed if Bird was to join the club it would be under strict conditions, including an active involvement in the club's community programs.

``It would be an incentive based contract, a one-season deal not dissimilar to what the club did with Chris Walker,'' Searle told The Bulletin.

``We would want to speak with (Bird) and his girlfriend to work through their relationship subject to the court appeal outcome and he would have to be actively involved in a lot of the club's community projects.''

Bird is looking to return to the NRL next season if he can overturn a conviction for recklessly wounding girlfriend Katie Milligan.

His appeal will be heard on November 23 and 24, after he was sentenced to a minimum of eight months in jail for the August 2008 attack.

He is currently playing for French club Catalan Dragons in the UK Super League.

Acknowledging there may be some backlash for the club's stance, Searle said it was more important to help the 25-year-old his life back on track.

``I'm sure we will be condemned by some that it's the wrong message we are sending, but I think making a positive difference to anyone's life is important,'' said Searle, who along with coach John Cartwright will meet with Bird next month, when they go to the UK for the Four Nations tournament.

``It's not something that we have jumped into, these discussion have been in the air for a couple of months and while we haven't made any decision (signing him) is something we would consider.''

``We have had outstanding success in working with players who have had challenges and making a positive difference to both the player and their family's lives.''

While the acquisition of Bird's signature would bolster the playing stocks, Searle said getting his life in order was a far bigger priority including his involvement within the community.

``I would be happier if we made a positive influence on his life first and foremost and if he goes well in his football then that's good too,'' said Searle.

``When you're involved with athletes who have had challenges or challenges in their past it's important that they have a sense of community as well.''

``From our point of view that would be an important part of his commitment to the club, that he genuinely wants to make good and it shows that this is what our club is about.''
    Psmitty

For me personally, no thanks. I could never embrace him. And it isn't about just one player, that one player is part of the team. No matter what he'd offer on the field, I don't think it would be a good look for the Titans to have him on board.

Look elsewhere please.

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I think the titans would get hurt in the memembers nd fans numbers......

His off field dramas aren't even my concern. He's a low dog on the field, always has been. He's not the sort of player I'd want at a club I follow.

I love the fact the club has a charter to help people. But there are alot of people that need help in the world and we can't help them all. Also having him involved in community programs, I dunno... He'd/we'd spend valuable time explaining why he was there and what happened and less on the critical messages we want to promote like healthy lifestyles and good values.

Having him in the 17 would short circuit my passionate love of the team as a whole.

And in a competitive sporting marketing like the Gold Coast is and will increasingly be, do we really wanna roll the dice on this one?

We are such a female and family orientated club as well...

Not interested in Greg Bird at the club. He might be a good player and all, but we need classy people as well.

The Titans creed has always been to be as good on the field as off it.

Stick to YOUR words Searley and leave this bloke wherever he is.

Probably going against the crowd with this one. I'm still on the fence, but I went with yes in the vote, with a whole lot of conditions.

He would obviously need to have the conviction against him overturned first, but if that happens I think he should be given a second chance. Get him on heavily incentive based contract with strict rules about his behaviour. Get him working with the community and if he looks like breaking the rules, get rid of him.

I think he should be given the chance to get his life back on track and maybe getting away from Sydney could do it for him.

He is a good player, and I think the point Searle makes about how things went with Walker is a good one. It would have been a shame if Walker wasn't given the oppourtunity the Titans gave him. They haven't jumped into this decision lightly. They will be doing their homework on him and if they still believe he will be an assest to the club, I think he has the potential to be a good signing.

Nope, don't want him. Not a good look for the club.

its not a good look for the club AT ALL.........

but i havent voted, and i dont think i will.....im on the fence with this one like amaline....
    at first i was thinking....no way, but the more i think about it the more i get confused....

it wouldn't hurt our salary cap too much, and if he gets signed, that would mean he was sucessful in overturning his conviction....

sure enough his 'descretions' off field aren't as mild as other players out there, but im sure its a mistake he isn't proud of, i doubt he gets around bragging about it.....Everybody deserves a second chance, im just not sure if we should take the risk or not....

and in regards to his on-field gritty playing style, isnt that something we've been asking for for a while.... sure enough id rather it come from mini or tags, who are genuinly nice guys on and off field, but like ennis for the dogs and hodges for the broncs, the team actually love what those players bring to the game.....

so yea, probably changed my mind 2 or 3 times writing that, def on the fence for this one, our club is run by VERY smart and wise people, im trusting them for the mean time....

NEW! SOUTH! WALES!

Thanks for adding the poll to this thread.

I voted NO.

I'll upset the trend & say if he can behave off the field then i'm all for having a "Dirty Bastard" in the Titans 17 as it's something we don't have but maybe we need to be taken a bit seriously in 2010 ,,,,,,,,,,,so if he's available & the price is right then Sign him up
    #itaintweaktospeak

Flat out NO from me.........

Here's to 2015