Default NRL: I want to be Eagles hooker

Quote Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph
    I want to be Eagles hooker

By GLENN JACKSON

January 06, 2006

LAST year's Manly captain Michael Monaghan is ready to turn himself into a Danny Buderus-style hooker and says he's looking forward to playing with star recruit Matt Orford.

Monaghan has muscled up significantly since the end of the 2005 season in a bid to secure a place in Manly's starting side ? not at halfback, but at hooker or five-eighth.

Monaghan yesterday moved to end speculation he wouldn't be able to work with the man who will replace him in the Manly No. 7 jumper.

"I've got no problems with Matt Orford, or any other players," said Monaghan.

"I wanted to get back to training and earn a spot.

"There was talk there'd be trouble, that I wouldn't be happy playing here with Matt.

"So I wanted to get to training and prove it's wrong.

"I didn't expect to be guaranteed any spot."

Monaghan says he's excited about the prospect of playing hooker or five-eighth this year with Orford calling the shots at half.

"In all honesty, I think hooker could suit me better than halfback," said Monaghan.

"I'm looking forward to playing there. While I've always been a halfback, I played a bit of grade at hooker at Canberra.

"I was pretty reluctant to play hooker back then but the way hookers play now, it suits me a bit more.

"The way Danny Buderus plays ? you're not just staying at dummy half passing the ball any more. I'm a bit more excited about it.

"At the start of training I was probably real keen on playing six. But having done a fair bit of work at hooker, I'm leaning towards nine.

"I think it suits me more at the moment."

Monaghan will face tough competition from the experienced Shayne Dunley for the hooker's jumper and from Michael Witt and youngster Travis Burns for the No. 6 spot.

The 25-year-old, who was only re-signed by the Sea Eagles for 2006 after the interjection of club owner Max Delmege, played at 83kg during the 2005 season but weighed in at 90kg just before Christmas.

"It's the first year I've really got into the gym fairly hard," he said. "I've had shoulder injuries over the last few years so I haven't been able to do much in the pre-season.

"I've been working really hard in the gym and taking the products and the supplements.

"It wasn't so much about putting on weight, it was putting a bit of size on, a bit of bulk, a bit of muscle. At hooker, you need to defend a lot more.

"If you're making 30 or 40 tackles you need a bit more size.

"Hooker's a pretty tough position. There's a lot more defending to do than 80 minutes at halfback.

"I knew whichever position I'd play this season I would need extra size."

Monaghan is now bench-pressing an impressive 125kg.

"Last year I could hardly bench-press 80," Monaghan said. "My strength is a lot better now. Not having any injuries helps as well."
    I believe Monaghan will excel from dummy half and form a deadly one-two punch with Matt Orford. Monaghan has a love/hate relationship with the Manly faithful though I think they will be rapt to see him with the 9 on his back.

Manly great Geoff Toovey playedh is best football in the dummy half role and I believe the same will be said for Monaghan.

DeeGan

Titan First Grade Regular

Nice to know that Monas has grown up and accepted his fate. cya.

As much as I hate saying it - Manly are developiong into a good looking football team.

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....

Titan First Grade Regular Eel 33's Avatar

1 man doesn't make a team though, except in the case of Newcastle.

yeah eel 33 exept monas ben kenedy watmough menzies bell kite stewart witt and co do...

I reakon that he would make a good hooker, but I'd have him starting, not coming off the bench. He might also have competiton for hooker from Matt Ballin (our Premier League hooker). But if he doesn't get hooker he will still have competition for 5/8th with Michael Witt and Travis Burns wanting to position as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eel 33
    1 man doesn't make a team though, except in the case of Newcastle.
    So are you saying Buderus doesnt do anything

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford87
    Nice to know that Monas has grown up and accepted his fate. cya.
    i agree

first time in awhile he hasnt been whinging in the media

its a nice change

Manly Warringah for Life but plenty of room to support my local team the Mighty mighty Titans

Titan CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy GC
    i agree

first time in awhile he hasnt been whinging in the media

its a nice change
    Hasnt exactly been treated the best by the club tho, so i can understand some of his whinging.

Quote Originally Posted by super cronk
    Hasnt exactly been treated the best by the club tho, so i can understand some of his whinging.
    rubbish mate

dont believe half the tripe his manager trotted out to the media

Mick was offered a contract way early in the piece and his manager stalled things.

He then proceeded to be a whinging little girl.

Im flithy hes contract was so big, we lost to manly juniors because of it in randall and harris

Manly Warringah for Life but plenty of room to support my local team the Mighty mighty Titans

Junior Titan

How much was the contract?

THE PANTHERS ARE ROARING,
    THE PANTHERS ARE SCORING,
    THE CROWD CAN'T GET ENOUGH,
    THE OPPOSITION FEARS US,
    THE PREMIERSHIP IS CALLING!

Quote Originally Posted by panther4eva
    How much was the contract?
    around the 240k mark way too much for someone whos a fringe first grader at best

Monaghan a fringe first grader? 74 games in the NRL competition pardons him from that label and IMO it looks like feelings against the player may be hindering your judgements Cliffy GC.

Monaghan is a solid first grade footballer who gives 100% week in week out, no, he is not in the top echelon when ranking halfbacks, though he gives any NRL team a determined, gritty and reliable professional footballer who will do whatever it takes to grab the 2 points on Sunday.

Michael's 22 try assists in 2005 stack up against say Scott Prince who had 25 - I know that is only one statistic and that doesn't make a half but it does illustrate that at the very worst he was in there trying.

Manly returned to the finals for the first time since 98 (or was it 97?) and I am sure he was a key player in that revival with BK, Watmough and co.
    A fringe first grade player is a guy like Nathan Merrit for example at Cronulla, to put Monaghan in that catergory would be a little off though every Manly fan is entitled to his or her opinion I believe he would be in any clubs top 17 personally.

Monnas is the perfect halfback for the team that is looking to rebuild and develop their game - he is solid and always gives 100%

Welcome to Where Time Stands Still.....