Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Michaels signs with Titans

Michaels Released By Broncos
    Trad McLean
    Bronco Media
    28/05/2010 9:10:10 AM
    The WOW Brisbane Broncos have today agreed to release Steven Michaels from his 2010-11 contract before the June 30 registration deadline.

The decision allows him to take up a new contract with the Gold Coast Titans that is effective until 2012.

?It is disappointing to let Steve go but we recognise this does present him with a better opportunity than perhaps if he would have stayed with us,? said Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen.

?He has been a terrific club man even while he has been severely hampered by injury over the past couple of years.

?The Broncos wish Steve all the best of the luck with his continuing career.?

Michaels said he left the Broncos pleased with his efforts but full of hope for the future.

?I have enjoyed my time at the Broncos, but having played little NRL in recent times I saw a greater opportunity to further my career with this deal,? he said.

Michaels made his debut for the Broncos in round 14 of the 2005 season and has played 59 NRL games, scoring 22 tries.

http://www.broncos.com.au/default.as...sed-by-broncos
    Psmitty

Junior Titan

Waste of money and i really hope he is on minimum.

Why?

Not a fan of Michaels and i can not see where he would fit into the top 25.
    He wont get a place on the wing and he wont be ahead of Toopi, Tomane, Rogers or Tonga.

Dont need him. worst signing yet.

Titans score Bronco Michaels
    Luke Turgeon | May 28th, 2010

Good catch for the Titans, former Brisbane Bronco and Mudgeeraba junior Steve Michaels.

THE Gold Coast Titans have signed Brisbane Broncos outside back Steve Michaels until the end of 2012, after the former Mudgeeraba Redbacks junior gained a mid-season release from Red Hill.

Michaels joined his new Titans teammates at training on the Gold Coast this morning.

The 23-year-old made his NRL debut for the Broncos in 2005, and has scored 22 tries in 59 first-grade appearances.

"I'm extremely excited to join the likes of Scott Prince and Preston Campbell,'' said Michaels this morning.

"Hopefully I'll add (something) to the Titans squad. I would like to thank the Broncos for their understanding, and wish my former teammates the very best for the remainder of the season.

Titans coach John Cartwright said Michaels had proven himself at NRL level, both as a winger and in the centres.

"He has been hampered by injruy in recent seasons, but is still just 23 years of age, so has a lot of football left in front of him," said Cartwright.

Michaels will play for the Titans' feeder club, the Burleigh Bears, in the Queensland Cup this weekend.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...st-titans.html

Wow i didn't expect this but if they got him for cheap it could be a good backup but i think we have good depth in the centres and wing.
    Psmitty

I'll wait & see how he goes before i judge but he was named in the Australian Prime Ministers 13 a couple of years ago & was close to Origin selection before he was injured...with injuries to Rogers,Toopi ,Esi & Tomane i don't think we should be complaining about signing another Centre when we are so low on troops & we would have got him for the price of a Pie & Coke
    #itaintweaktospeak

Waste of time and money.

Oh no! As a Broncos fan I was excited about this news...but as a Titans member, it's terrible news!!! If the Titans are worried about the defence from their centres, this was a terrible purchase.

I have to agree, I hope he's on minimum wages!

Not sure why he thinks he has a better chance of playing first grade for the titans and not the broncos. He'd better be on minimum wage
    because he surely isn't in our best 40 let alone 25. He may never play first grade for us, and let's hope that's the case, because if he does it means we have a long list of injuries.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

Junior Titan

I really wonder how he will make Burleigh.
    I feel sorry if they have to make way for him.

Better centres there too.

Junior Titan

Sorry to go on about it.

Wade McKinnon would have been a much better mid-season buy although i do not think we need either.

Titan One Clubman titanstattman's Avatar

I'll wait to see wat carty and the team does with him 1st.. They just might be able to do sumthing good with him....

Sum times i think if it was up to the fans to buy players everyteam would be way over the cap

Banned

no no no, we have plenty of young and old backline talent, plus we still have our under 20s team and harold matthews and sg ball juniors.

The guy has been a WOEFUL defensive centre for the Broncs, horrible signing imo.

This signing is going to cop alot of heat. I know he has faced alot of ridicule from Broncos fans and they are probably gleeful at the moment.

Yes he has been much maligned in the last 12 months.

But hopefully he can turn it around at the Gold Coast like many have done before. Return to his old potential and regain some confidence. His old club wouldnt have been a positive environment for him.

We probably got him at an affordable price too and is a depth signing. No way you would pick him over.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MICHAELS INTERVIEW ON TITANS TV

He is coming back home to the Gold Coast which is always a good thing. And I would love to see him stick it up those arrogant Broncos fans.
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Michaels to return home with Titans
    Adam Gardini

The Jetstar Gold Coast Titans have today secured the signature of another Gold Coast junior with Brisbane Broncos centre/winger Steve Michaels agreeing to join the club until the end of 2012.

Michaels, a Mudgeeraba Redbacks junior, will join the Jetstar Titans immediately after being granted a mid-season release from the Broncos. He will play for Titans feeder-club the Burleigh Bears this weekend.

The 23-year-old made his NRL debut for the Broncos in 2005 as a teenager and has scored 22 tries in 59 first grade appearances to date.

Jetstar Titans Managing Director Michael Searle said the acquisition of Michaels was an important one for the club given his links with the Gold Coast.

“Steve has been a player of interest for us for a number of years,’’ said Searle.

“Importantly he is a Gold Coast junior and his speed and try-scoring ability will add significant depth to the Titans backline over the next three seasons.’’

Michaels said he was excited about his new opportunity with the Titans.

“I’m extremely excited to join the likes of Scott Prince and Preston Campbell and hopefully add something to the Titans squad,’’ said Michaels.

“I’d like to thank the Broncos for their understanding and I wish my former teammates the very best for the remainder of the season.’’

Jetstar Titans Head Coach John Cartwright said Michaels would add to the club’s growing list of talented three-quarters.

“Steve has proven he can play at NRL level, having played plenty of first grade both on the wing and in the centres,’’ said Cartwright.

“He has been hampered by injuries in recent seasons but he is still just 23 years of age so he has a lot of football left in front of him.’’

Source: http://www.titans.com.au
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

Maybe The Axe has an injury and they need someone else to run the water?