Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Gold Coast Titans chase Darius Boyd

Gold Coast Titans chase Darius Boyd

FIRST the Gold Coast Titans wooed Bulldogs talent Jamal Idris to a five-year deal with the club, now they are in the hunt for rugby league international and former Gold Coast junior Darius Boyd.

The bid for Boyd's signature is a bold step to present coach John Cartwright with a premiership-ready side for 2012.

The former Mudgeeraba Redbacks junior attended school on the Coast and his biggest supporter, his grandmother Delphine Boyd still lives here.

Boyd has previously played for the Brisbane Broncos and the St George Illawarra Dragons and the Titans are serious about securing his services for 2012, according to Titans managing director Micheal Searle.

''We have expressed interest to Darius's management and from our point of view we understand Darius would consider coming back to the Gold Coast,'' Mr Searle said.

''We are looking to move forward with negotiations over the next week or so.''

For those who don't know that much about Boyd, here are his stats.

Name: Darius Boyd

Born: 17 July, 1987

Height: 185cm

Weight: 96kg

Position: Fullback

School: Palm Beach Currumbin

Prev. Clubs: Brisbane Broncos, St. George Illawarra Dragons

Junior Club: Mudgeeraba Redbacks

FG Debut: Brisbane lost to North Queensland (4-36) March 12, 2006

Club Debut: Melbourne def. St George Illawarra (17-16) March 13, 2009

Awards: 2010 Clive Churchill Medal, 2010 Rugby League Players' Association

For more on the chase for Boyd and for the full wrap-up of last night's Titans vs Tigers match at Skilled Park grab a copy of today's Gold Coast Bulletin.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/
    PUT EM TO THE SWORD! SHOW SOME STEEL!

Moejoe: "REMEMBER!!!! SLIP - SLOP - SLAP in the sun. Skin Cancer is a growing problem. It could happen to anyone!!"
    TITANS, DIEHARDS, WARRINGTON WOLVES, MAROONS, KANGAROOS, HONG KONG THUNDER

I was watching the game and in the commentary they said we were after Boyd and Nate Myles, and definitely not going for Tandy.

Boyd is the man this team needs, throw the kitchen sink at him

boyd is a great player
    but y all of the sudden are we looking for backs? we are have decent ones already coming through the system? spose boyd can play 5/8

I reckon we saw our 5/8 last night but Boyd would be a very good acquisition.

Myles ... neh. Tandy ... lmao.
    Four reasons to escape to Queensland: Sun, Surf, Sand & the Titans.

Myles.... your ****ing kidding me
    Tandy.... laughable

I really would prefer them splurging out on forwards, as some of our best will be retiring in a few years
    You make sure they remember, forever, the night they played the Titans!

Gold Coast Titans will step up negotiations with off-contract St George Illawarra star Darius Boyd in the next week.

Boyd is widely tipped to follow Dragons coach Wayne Bennett to Newcastle next year but was a Gold Coast junior and has expressed a desire to one day return to south-eastern Queensland.

"We have expressed interest to Darius's management and from our point of view we understand Darius would consider coming back to the Gold Coast," said Titans chief executive Michael Searle.

"We are looking to move forward with negotiations over the next week or so."

Boyd, who played under Bennett at Brisbane Broncos before following him south, also hasn't ruled out remaining with the Dragons.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Will Darius Boyd follow Wayne Bennett to Newcastle? Or will he press on without his mentor? Have your say by leaving a comment at the bottom of the page

The 23-year-old Clive Churchill Medallist said on Saturday he was yet to make a decision.

"Wayne only made the decision a few days ago," Boyd told the DMG radio network.

"I've always said I'd like to be coached under him as long as I could but I haven't really had a chance to think about it that much myself either.

"I suppose in the next few weeks I'm going to make a decision."

The Titans have already snared Canterbury-Bankstown star Jamal Idris on a five-year deal from 2012.

Bennett said Boyd would make his own call on his future.

"Darius, like me, is at the Dragons right now and Darius is his own man," Bennett told DMG.

"He'll make his own decisions."

But the supercoach shut down any discussion of his intentions at the Knights, saying he would not speak about his new club until he finishes the 2011 season with St George Illawarra.

"My job is to build football teams, not destroy them, and by me continually referring to one that I'm going to doesn't help anybody and it certainly doesn't help the one that I'm at," he said.

My opinion suggests he would be a pretty descent 5/8 with the right guidance also he has vision which capewell at the moment doesnt. this should relieve some pressure off prince hopefully making him think he is not the only player in the team. Then again i cant see myself liking boyd completely after watching his interview i think 2 years ago saying ummmm ahhhh ummmm ahhh yeh goodd ummm gamee yeh but seeing him in some good colours would probably fix that

Some bizzare thoughts here....

Boyd's a fantastic signing, he can play anywhere from 6 back. But seriously - did Will Zillman not just produce a stellar game at 6, his second in a row, and you're now saying play Boyd at 6 (where he hasn't played for ages)????

Boyd to fullback. **** Capewell right off to QLD cup for a few years
    Mark Minichiello ---> Team Italy

yep and it was a stupid idea to move lockyer to the 6 aswell

Lockyer was 30 - Boyd is 23
    Mark Minichiello ---> Team Italy

age is but a number my friend unlike the number on a players back which could see them change their career for life

Even if we were to sign Boyd, Zillman has this season to own 6 - everything else is pure speculation - I just hope Zillman stabilises the halves and we can concentrate on getting our current outside backs mobilised.

Friend has galvanised the forwards and after a shaky first 20 we started to look like a team.

I must be watching a different Nate Myles to everyone else.
    I think he is one of the best forwards in the game, tough as ten men and a workhorse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Sure Coaster, no doubt, but the Cap limits our options - Laffranchi out and Myles in perhaps?