Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Titans sign Beau Champion

Luke Turgeon | April 14th, 2011

THE Titans have wasted no time wading back into the player market, setting their sights on Melbourne Storm centre and NSW State of Origin hopeful Beau Champion.

With the ink still drying on Jamal Idris' contract, The Bulletin can reveal the Titans are in talks with Champion about a possible move to the Gold Coast.

Champion has represented the Indigenous All Stars for the past two years alongside Idris and Titans Scott Prince, Preston Campbell, Greg Bird and Ryan James.

Champion and Idris also share the same manager in Sam Ayoub.

"We have had preliminary discussions in regard to Beau," Ayoub confirmed.

"At this stage those discussions are ongoing and I will be speaking to the Titans again later this week when I am up there."

It is understood the former Rabbitohs strike weapon does still not feel completely at home in Melbourne since making the sudden move from Redfern during the pre-season to make way for Greg Inglis.

Champion signed a one-year deal with the Storm, with an option in his favour for another two.

Ayoub said Champion was weighing up the future and had until June to make a decision whether to take up the option or find a new club.

"In all honesty we are having a look in case Beau decides he doesn't want to take up his option down there," Ayoub said.

After Titans managing director Michael Searle announced on Tuesday Idris would be joining the Gold Coast next season in a five-year multimillion-dollar deal, he hinted there could yet be more big-name signings in the pipeline.

"You are always in the market, no matter whether you have won the comp or you have just missed out," Searle said.

"You are always trying to make your team a bit more improved.

"I don't think the club will ever put the cue in the rack when it comes to engaging the market.

"Someone like Jamal just reinforces that what John (Cartwright) is doing from a coaching perspective, what the team is doing on the football field and what our staff is doing off it, is attractive for players to come here.

"I think that will give us some good options over the next 12 or 18 months."

Champion had a career-best season in 2010, scoring 14 tries in 19 games for the Rabbitohs before he was let go by Souths to make room in the salary cap for Inglis.

The 24-year-old represented NSW City last season and is on Ricky Stuart's short list for Blues selection this year.

Champion is believed to have been impressed by the Titans state-of-the-art facilities at the Centre of Excellence, which were used by the Indigenous All Stars team back in February.

"Beau, like every other player who was in the Indigenous side, was impressed with the facilities," Ayoub said.
    #itaintweaktospeak

I hope Esi Tonga and Tomana are reading all these stories. It might be the kick up the backside they need in order to dleiver on the potential they have shown but not yet delivered on.

signing another right side centre

Quote Originally Posted by teke View Post
    signing another right side centre
    Idris future lies as a wide running second rower - only we need to get him here for a full season of conditioning training.

Champion and Tonga with Tomane/Mead and Gordon sounds now for some ball players to distribute the ball.

Banned

what is this ****e we already are overloaded with backs stop it

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    what is this ****e we already are overloaded with backs stop it
    Overloaded with players who are:
    a.) Yet to deliver on their promise AND off contract at seasons end (Tonga, Tomane, Zillman)
    b.) Over the hill (Toopi, Campbell)

We have 16 players off contract at the end of season 2011 so Searle has to send a message to the category 'a' players that they either 'shape up or ship out'. There is absolutely no place for sentiment in contract negotiations.

Neither Idris or Champion would have any problem changing to a left hand edge with a per-season under their belt. Everyone went on about Tonga being on the wrong side in the lead up to an origin and he went out and cut the wolf man in half. That is the least of our worries.

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by karnage View Post
    a.) Yet to deliver on their promise AND off contract at seasons end (Tonga, Tomane, Zillman)

We have 16 players off contract at the end of season 2011 so Searle has to send a message to the category 'a' players that they either 'shape up or ship out'. There is absolutely no place for sentiment in contract negotiations.

Neither Idris or Champion would have any problem changing to a left hand edge with a per-season under their belt. Everyone went on about Tonga being on the wrong side in the lead up to an origin and he went out and cut the wolf man in half. That is the least of our worries.
    So you want to get rid of Zillman?

And Tonga is looking very promising, whilst Tomane hasn't been given a proper chance. I don't think centre is a position we urgently need to recruit in.

Zillmzn's contract does not end until the end of 2012. I agree Tonga and Tomane have not yet delivered on their promise, well, Tomane was brilliant in attack last year, but defensively terrible and Tonga is going quite well this year. Even though they both have not delivered on their potential I believe it is still there, however, Idris and Champion have both already delivered on their potential and both have played rep footy.

Our current attacking structure is terrible and have been for years. The obvious sign here is how flat our attacking line is. Is this because of poor coaching, or poor players? Are the players not sticking to the structure when they train with a deep line?, or they not training with a good attacking structure with a deep line?, or are the coaches setting up the best attacking structure based on the players they have?

None of us have the answer to these question, but I believe our management are doing what they see is best for the club. I for one believe with Idris and Champion in the centres we would have one, if not the best centre pairing in the game.
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 14-04-11 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Blue View Post
    So you want to get rid of Zillman?

And Tonga is looking very promising, whilst Tomane hasn't been given a proper chance. I don't think centre is a position we urgently need to recruit in.
    For how long can a player be 'promising' before becoming disappointing?? I've been among Tonga's biggest supporters but he has to start putting it together on game day if he wants to keep his spot.

It turns out Zillman is contracted for another year but, given the coin he is on and the fact that he has only ever been dominant in 1 game he has ever played for us (the semi-final win over the Warriors) I'd happily see him go.

Anthony Griffin had a crack at his young players during the week - saying it was time they stopped playing like rookies and started playing like champions. I wish somebody would come out and say that to our young backs. I'm excluding Ryan and Ridge from that comment because they have stood up for us beautifully.

Is Searly trying to buy the Indigenous All Stars or something?

Junior Titan

For how long can a player be 'promising' before becoming disappointing?? I've been among Tonga's biggest supporters but he has to start putting it together on game day if he wants to keep his spot.
    He's played three grades in the top grade all year in a ****house side, what do you expect of him?

If there's an elephant in the room in regard to someone not performing up to their potential lately it's David Mead...I love the guy, but he's only scored in 2 of his last 17 matches. As a winger that's something that needs to be addressed. I'm sure it's largely a team issue though, playing outside a second-rower can't help either.
    Last edited by Titan_Blue; 14-04-11 at 04:54 PM.

Banned

the problem is prince, he isnt getting good ball ever to the backs you guys are too harsh on them

Junior Titan

Quote Originally Posted by titansrawesome View Post
    the problem is prince, he isnt getting good ball ever to the backs you guys are too harsh on them
    Correct, the problem is Prince - where is the show and go putting players through the line.

Would really love to see all this money being put towards a quality 5/8 but if Champion does sign on, I'd welcome it with open arms, much potential for attacking spark with Idris and Champion.

Banned

heres the thing guys that you may not understand, we could buy slater,inglis,boyd,idris and uate but if we dont have a good halves combo conducting the plays right then they will never get good ball and will never have the chance to excel, thats why we dont need anymore backs we just need better halves, we know mead and gordan and tonga and tomane and zillman can excel but not if they dont get any ball and opportunities. take last week for example, no wingers got the ball in open play and when michaels got the ball twice we scored twice, you see the problem and solution here?