Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Angry Nathan Friend - Off to the Warriors in 2012

Luke Turgeon **|**April 6th, 2011
    Gold coast bulletin

THE Titans must now embark on the search for a new hooker in the wake of Nathan Friend's bombshell that he will most likely quit the club at the end of the year.

As reported exclusively in the Gold Coast Bulletin today, Friend has fielded lucrative offers from several rival NRL clubs, with the New Zealand Warriors believed to be favourites to snare his signature for 2012.

Friend is expected to make a final decision on his future as early as today.

''At this stage it looks like I may be (leaving),'' Friend told The Bulletin.
    ''I can't be certain just yet but it is looking like my future may be at a different club.

''I have had a couple of interested parties, that is why we can't make a confident decision until the end of the week.

''I still could stay but it is highly unlikely at this stage.''

The Titans will first look in-house to find his replacement, opening the door for highly-touted under-20s rake Matt Srama and fellow promising youngster Kayne Lawton to make their mark.

Riley Brown, who has filled in for Friend throughout the early rounds, also shapes as viable option.

Chances are the departure of 80-minute player Friend will mean a change in the Gold Coast's style of play.

The Titans will next year have to look at using two hookers, with one sharing the load off the bench, at least until one of the younger players develops enough to fill the void.

Crowd favourite Friend has been the beating heart of the Titans for the past few seasons and news of his departure is sure to upset the club's legion of fans.

Friend said he had a responsibility to make the decision that was best for his family* wife Kelly and young sons Axel and Oliver.

''It is a tough decision,'' the 30-year-old said.

''But obviously my career is nearing the end. It is time I received the rewards for the effort I have put in over the years.

''You have only got a short time at the top, so I have got to make the most of it.

''I don't mean to stand on people's toes but I have to do the best thing for my family at this stage in life.''

Titans managing director Michael Searle conceded the club had all but resigned itself to the fact Friend would be moving on.

''There was always going to be life after Nathan Friend at some stage,'' Searle said.

''If it is now, it is now and good luck to him. If he is doing this for his family, I don't have any issue with that.

''They are tough decisions you have got to make. Irrespective of where he goes, I don't know where it will be, the club will wish him the best.

''I have got no doubt he will continue to play his football hard and fast for us. He is a competitor.''

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

This is most upsetting. Riley Brown is not a viable option, he's just proved that. Let's consider for a moment that we can't find a way to keep Friend, will Lawton or Srama be up to it next year? If so great. If not who should we look at? What hookers are available? Good hookers are rare. We need a decent one.

Geese are the ultimate team players.
    They honk to encourage one another!

QLD Cup Titan

NOOOOOO!!!! Terrible news :-(

Wow what a bombshell.....

DISGRACE what a DISGRACE, why isnt Nathan friend the No1 Priority, surely it shows with our start to the year this year how important friendy is,
    Feel like throwing the membership away, I hope the management will read the forum to see how much support friendy has through the forum
    Gutwrenching

Should have signed him up as early as possible. Big mistake by management.

Banned

this is what you morons that are managing our contracts get, stop chasing expensive centres and resign friend or their will be an uproar from the fans, i think the record of how bad we are without friend is an indication of how much we need him

i think as fans we must voice our view on this to the management as one group and let them no of the uproar lets make some noise

I think we need to lower the pitch forks for a second. All negotiations are complicated, last time Friend was negotiating this same scenario happened.

As good as Friend is, we can not over extend his payments and lose all our juniors, it is a sad state. But a real one that needs to be considered.

What makes this ugly is the rumor of Idris, but I know Searle knows the importantace of Friend and until a deal is done, I will reserve my judgement
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

By the sounds of things we still have a day or half a day left to change M Searles mind. We need everyone to flood the Titans with emails and phone calls to express our thoughts on their decision to spend overs on a center and not retain the heart and soul of the club.
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 06-04-11 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

It doesn't sound like Searles decision at all, that article reads like it Friends decision for his family. He has shown he is a businessman, and looks as he says for a payday.

I personally want him to have a good look at what he has here on the coast ad a package and whey that up, if he is just after money then so be it. I want someone who wants to be here, not getting paid to be here
    When I am unable to respect and accept the decisions that are being made that directly affect my team, then I must take a backwards step.

Junior Titan

Why the hell are we chasing Idris???

Quote Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
    It doesn't sound like Searles decision at all, that article reads like it Friends decision for his family. He has shown he is a businessman, and looks as he says for a payday.

I personally want him to have a good look at what he has here on the coast ad a package and whey that up, if he is just after money then so be it. I want someone who wants to be here, not getting paid to be here
    I think you are looking at this all wrong Coaster. Last time Friendy was up for contract negotiation, They went looking for another hooker and offers were between 400k and 500k. Friendy ended up staying for far less. Now They are chasing a 400k centre for his marketability and again I have no doubt it would take far less then that too keep him, but I don't think Searley sees Freind's true value and is willing to offer what he is worth. Friendy only has a few years left in his career and cannot afford to stay for pocket change again. I'm sure he'd stay if the offer was right. What do you think Friendy would be worth?
    Last edited by Tamwelg; 06-04-11 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrl.com
    David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback.

Michael Searle's greatest moment was when he got us the license for our great club but he is about to make his worst decision in our clubs history

It wasn't that long ago when he was offering Smith a rumoured $500-$600k a season & then when he knocked us back it was Farah who was chased at $400k + per season , while in the meantime we had the better choice under our own nose & was re-signed for what the others wouldn't have sneezed at..
    So a couple of years later Friendy has established himself in the top 4 hookers in the world & the "Only" one who plays 80 minutes week in week out.

It's pretty obvious that he's not in the Titans future plans by what he was offered (about half of what a couple of others in the team get) so it looks like 2011 may be our last chance of grabbing the trophy for a while as The Hobbit won't be placed easily as we've seen already this season

I don't believe we will get Idriss nor do i care about having "Another" Poster Boy in the club , give me workers anyday:boo:
    #itaintweaktospeak

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwelg View Post
    I think you are looking at this all wrong Coaster. Last time Friendy was up for contract negotiation, They went looking for another hooker and offers were between 400k and 500k. Friendy ended up staying for far less. Now They are chasing a 400k centre for his marketability and again I have no doubt it would take far less then that too keep him, but I don't think Searley sees Freind's true value and is willing to offer what he is worth. Friendy only has a few years left in his career and cannot afford to stay for pocket change again. I'm sure he'd stay if the offer was right. What do you think Friendy would be worth?
    Well I hate to say it because I love the bloke and he is a awesome player, but if you break it down he has not played in any rep teams and most likely never will, he would be worth about 250k at the top end IMO.

Maybe 200k over 3 years